Were hoplites the most aesthetic soldiers in history?

Were hoplites the most aesthetic soldiers in history?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=7KrWneSgOhc
youtube.com/watch?v=nRJggLgQlME
youtube.com/watch?v=UwRkHkD1Bw8
youtube.com/watch?v=Im9UXi-rgJY
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Yep.

Ahem.

Legionnaires have a workhorse look to them I like. Pic sort of related but it is very ahistorical.

Not as Veeky Forums as Nappy's dragons

Hoplites? lol is this some kind of joke

Close

Anyone who answers anything other than "12th century crusader knight" is by definition a fedora

Dragoons

They're named after their firearms

They were definitely up there

Mate i'm french and i will call a french unit by its french name

dogshit

Crap.

As-salamu alaykum

>ywn be a roman army official in charge of holding a map and talking with the legatus about where best to set up camp

Nice cavalry you have there... shame if someone shot them.

fite me

Kek.

>Not even from PNG

They spend their live sin pursuit of Birds of Paradise so they can take their feathers and look aesthetic as fuck.

Their life is a pursuit of aesthetics.

>Segmentata meme

This is what a roman soldier would look like.

Its just overused, not a meme... its a very real armour.

It's a very real armour used for a very short period of time towards death of empire. For the vast majority of the Roman soldiers would have worn mail. However if you looked at media you'd think they wore segmentata from early republics days until 453.

Its not even the most aesthetic. Why is it over depicted? Most effective or something?

I don't need to

it's also pretty damn cool

no one wants to emulate the hamata that's for sure

I think I may have that same brand of tabi boot

Honestly, either the Prussians or the Nazis.

Breastplates and pistols is the most aesthetic combination.

yep

I guess because it's unique. Everyone used mail.

Indeed.

Poles had some nice uniforms to.

>tfw you'll never be an arquebuiser in renaissance italy

Yeah… too bad the couldn’t fight for shit

>tfw you will never put down the boxer rebellion

>get rekt in 1939
>skull fuck the Germans from 1940-45
pottery

Not only is this the most Veeky Forums uniform, its also the most comfy.

Poland (against a ratio of 4 to 1) fought better than France (with a ratio of 1 to 1), while being only mobilized in 50% and attacked by two major powers from 4 sides simultaneously.
Polish soldiers won multiple battles in the September Campaign and the Germans received heavy losses in equipment, whole SS Panzer division was destroyed etc.

We are talking about infantry not air

Worst fucking infantry in the game.

No they're just too comfortable so they all lay down to get some zzzs while roman plebs think they're achieving something.

>no one ever respects squamata

Those onesies look really comfy.

How come not a single Black Brunswicker has been posted yet?

>Germans with 40 times as much troops, with aid of tanks and Luftwaffe needs several days to beat Polish infantry
No wonder Hitler allegedly said that with German technology and Polish soldiers, he would beat everyone.
Though with Hitler in charge, German tech can easily go to shit.

>not posted yet
Not much taste in this thread.

Gotta love those meso's.

>Germans with 40 times as much troops
No, Poland had a 1 million strong army (up to 3 million within few months of mobilization) and Germany had a 1,5 million strong army (up to 3+ million with prolonged mobilization). The problem was, that at the evening of the invasion of Poland, the Polish army was only 50% mobilized. 600,000 Polish troops against 2,000,000, Nazis and Soviets. Poland had the 4th largest army in Europe.
youtube.com/watch?v=7KrWneSgOhc
youtube.com/watch?v=nRJggLgQlME
youtube.com/watch?v=UwRkHkD1Bw8

The most larped.

I know it's pretty fucking popular and inaccurately represented in most media, BUT i seriously dig the medieval full plate attire
it just resonates with me, looks based as fuck and was also pretty useful in it's day

T H R A C E

this

both terms are correct but in english dragoons is more accurate.

still, the best looking units had to be either the french cuirassiers/the grenadiers of the old guard or the ss uniforms designed by hugo boss

>pic related: napoleonic wars cuirassier if the dark ages had never been a thing

imagine being on the pointy end of that lance

kerns look pretty swank

It would be a glorious end.
youtube.com/watch?v=Im9UXi-rgJY

did you say aesthetic?

Knight with a pistol is a pretty awesome premise.

I was talking about specific battle.

Shame on you all.

Ah right, you thinking of the Wizna battle.

GroBgermania had the coolest uniforms. Pic related.

What's with the spikes? Meant to stop people from sailing in at high tide?

Literally ubermenschen.

>badass feathered cap
>
>stupid looking penis helmet

what went wrong?

>Were hoplites the most aesthetic soldiers in history?
Categorically they were the most heroic looking.
>fat, ugly, self conscious Nords pretending it's not gay
pls don't do this to me.
Roman infantry are beautiful, high quality yet uniform equipment.
>its another episode of someone thinks the segmented armor was rarely used because the Romans didn't include it on every statue
Mail is shit.
It's creative
>death's head
HNNNNNGGG

>Mail is shit.
Possibly the most widely used form of armor in history is "shit".

>Mail is shit.
Eat dick.

CRINGE

Envious of the panzer wrap tho

I think so.

My top would be

Hoplite
Roman Legionnaire
Conquistador

>Its not even the most aesthetic.
kys

>Roman Legionnaire
Which ones?

>ywn break Takeda cavalry and seize overlordship of glorious Nippon

Tell me about the Polish hussar. Why does he wear the wings ?

>fought better than France

[citation needed]

Not that it actually matters though "lol we got fucked but just look there instead". I'll never get over the polish butthurt about France. We were the only ones to help you throughout history (or willing to help as in 1939), and you owe us a fucking lot, be it only for Napi times. But we just did better than you in WW2 and you keep insulting us for it. Also for the record, I don't think you know shit but memes about the Battle of France. Because it fits your beliefs that your country is so great and shit, you never tried learning about it. Well, bad news Prztlek, the French fought. It's not anime, 2 giants fighting each other for real in a total war does not last 10 episodes. It can (and it did) go fast for various reasons, cowardice not being one.
Amongst other things, the French won the first tank to tank battle in history (Hannut), in dire numerical inferiority and without air or artillery support, which the germans had.
Also, the Luftwaffe lost more planes (1059) during the 2 months of the BoF than during the 4 months of the BoBritain (1052), despite having only 18 new generation fighters (D520) to oppose the 2500 German planes. And we were glad to have polish pilots in our ranks too. Fucker, you're not worth of your ancestors.

Stop believing sheer troops numbers win a war, idiot! Also the amount of shit Hitler said about anyone to get people to enroll for SS is through the fucking roofs. Do your research ffs.

This.

Dirty Pollacks should be sucking French dick.

But they'd rather eat english shit, and praise them for bravery in 1939-1940. My fucking sides. And here I stood thinking that one good thing of communism was all the learning that you can get for cheap. Well they didn't get it, they didn't learn it.

because they only need to hold exactly long enough for your javelins and cavalry to tear the other side apart

>ywn rek the Italians with outdated equipment while looking Veeky Forums af

Veeky Forums as fuck

>The third one

Oh god i'm a sucker for Scutums, just something about them look so cool while also imposing.

It really gives off the vibe of a professional battle-hardened leagion

Better example that's not a thumbnale