Survivalism

When in human history did we forget
forget survivalism/how to take care of ourselves?
Making fires, how to make a bow, how to make water pouch etc

How to hunt, how to skin an animal, purify water etc

I think you get the message :P

Since it became irrelevant.

Survival skills are always relevant.

To who? You could cradle to grave without ever starting a fire.

They are relevant if you dont want to die. What are you gonna do when electricity turns off and food and water supply is running low? Cry for mommy? No you adapt to the situation and try to find food, water and shelter

Plenty of people have thought that only to end up being stranded in the middle of nowhere.
Natural disasters can also require some type of survival skill.

>What are you gonna do when electricity turns off and food and water supply is running low?
Die.

Oh shit you're right, guess I better learn how to make a bow.

Morons who put themselves in that situation.

How fatalistic

Because we live in the 21st century and have mcdonalds and live in cities which we wont worry about getting ripped apart by wolves. This is the era which we dont need to know how to make a bow, because we have guns now

>Morons who put themselves in that situation.
do you not travel outside your neighborhood.

Its good for hunting and self defense yeah. If you have no gun or bullets a spear or bow is the best hunting and self defence weapon

Plus its a legal to hunt and fish without licenses these days

I live in a heavily populated areas, I'm never in the middle of nowhere.

Stupid cavemen could figure out how not to die in the wilderness tens of thousands of years ago. It's not that difficult intellectually.

>I live in a heavily populated areas, I'm never in the middle of nowhere.
sometimes thats even worse

Bruh you'd be fucked if shit hits the fan and you're defending yourself with a self made bow and self made arrows going up against people with guns.

If youre in a situation you know you cant win you hide or try to hide or take them out one by one. There is a solution to everything

Well it's irrelevant because the apocalypse isn't coming.

You dont know that. No one knows that. You can be in a survival situation even if its not the end of the world lmao.

That stuff may not be as widely taught anymore, but that doesn't mean survivalism is a forgotten art. In fact, modern discoveries about the natural world have made the modern survivalist much more able to create things from raw components found in nature.

If civilization collapses mankind deserves to go extinct and let some species who can create a successful space program and artificial intelligence that creates a state that could never go back to the stone age ever again.

If we can't do that. We deserve to die off.

There are no other species senpai. We humans are the only in the universe. I know its a hard redpill to swallow but its a fact

Never understood this "smart aliens" meme, humans could very well be the most advanced species out there while everything else is a fungus living in caves

It's usually because if something has the ability to travel light years in space with any kind of force they are clearly very advanced.

I'm talking about the next sapient species to come along.

If humans died today, then in 300 million years then some other species would come along. maybe more apes. Maybe not.

But if we can't create a civilization that outlives disasters and common solar flares, then we deserve to go extinct.

If civilization collapses, I'm not in the mood to wake up shit covered in lice with diseases that could be cured with modern medicine with my teeth falling out.

I'd learn enough survival skills to make a rope and hang myself with it.

You fuckers thing we can get along without a space program will just get wiped out when an asteroid eventually hits us again.

Nice nihilism dude

I'm not talking about aliens. I'm taking about the next species that comes along after humans die off. Monkies, apes, dophins, or whatever species develops language next.

Also the universe is an infinite place. We might be the first but we won't be the last.

If the humans don't acheive a viable space program, it will go extinct.

Either asteroid, solar flare that hits us dead on irradiating ourselves, or if we wait long enough, solar wins will strip the atomosphere of oxygen.

A hunter gatherer society would not survive such a chain of events.

If we do not leave this planet. Eventually it will be consumed by the sun and all evidence that we existed will have disappeared expect who ever finds voyager.

I've always wondered...would a spacefaring culture necesarily be more complex. For example, could they have focused on space travel more than healthcare advancement or something. Would philosophy be as developed or even exist? Are human social and organizational concepts universal in some manner or simply nonsense to hypothetical space aliens

I mean the expectation that another species elsewhere even has access to that sort of technology, I think it's silly that one day we're just going to stumble upon some space utopia that's 1000x more advanced than human progress

Now the thread is getting interesting. Screw the doomsday preppers, more space survival of species talk.

Yep. Even if the dooms day preppers children somehow survive and make babies for the next 100,000 or so, they will all end up dead eventually due to some external terrestrial event.

>Are human social and organizational concepts universal in some manner or simply nonsense to hypothetical space aliens
Some of our shit is nonsense even to ourselves. "Advancement" is kind of a vague arbitrary concept if you think about it.

It's less likely there isn't anyone else than there being others. You're underestimating the vastness of space and overestimating the requirements for life.

But at least they'll know how to make a bow!

Fuck you guys for ruining my thread

And nice quads

Go purify your tears so I can drink them.

Actually no. It was the clever cave men that figured that stuff out and passed it on to their children. Alot of the stupid cavemen perished.

Slightly less stupid caveman.

>its a legal

>When in human history did we forget
Non meme answer: When our material circumstances made it no longer necessary.

I'm smarter than some aboriginal from 1000 years ago to the extent that I can read, write, apply for a home loan, manage finances and so on. They would be smarter than me insofar as their ability to hunt, read the stars and shit like that.

exactly we adapt to our environments, with more or less the same potential.

Speak for yourself senpai.

>They are relevant if you dont want to die
even if you know all these things you will still die

knowing how to start a fire in the woods doesn't make you immortal

When we developed agriculture and it became unnecessary for literally everyone in the tribe/village to be involved in getting food. This meant that some could focus on other tasks.