Dutch Colonialism

What can Veeky Forums tell me on Dutch colonialism? I recently got interested on the subject. How good were the Dutch in managing their colonies, how they treated the natives and how effective and profitable were they? I have a folder of a lot of beautiful dutch colonial buildings from Batavia, before they turned it into a disgusting mega city, if anyone is interested ill dump.

Other urls found in this thread:

bookzz.org/book/2675237/a6395d
youtube.com/watch?v=jEGdhUmzF48
twitter.com/AnonBabble

i'd be interested in seeing the pics OP

Will do.

Commencing dump, hopefully will get some other posters here.

It is beyond me how someone can ruin a city like this.

This is Curacao, they tried to make every city look like Amsterdam.

Sadly the dutch just used the island to make some money, we ran it like a company, build roads and railways to extract natural resources. We did not turn the population into dutch speaking christians, they stayed muslimes speaking their weird languages.

For example people from the dutch indies could not wear western clothing, and were not taught any dutch

They still made lots of money(visit amsterdam to see what we did with that money)
But indonesia has no cultural ties with us like india has to GB

these are cool. if you want to look into it a bit yourself this book is about indonesia but dedicates several chapters to the discussion of dutch colonialism there.
bookzz.org/book/2675237/a6395d
as far as i know the english scholarship on the dutch east indies is sparse. i think stuff on the dutch atlantic is more popular maybe i can pull up stuff from there.

Interesting, so developing the colonies wasn't a priority? Just profit? Are there any videos or documentaries on the subject i might see? Thanks for answering though.

Thats great ill check it out, thank you very much.

They were pretty bloodthirsty, but not all of them. New Amsterdam was pretty brutal under William Kieft, who wanted "to teach the natives a lesson".

>Infants were torn from their mother's breasts, and hacked to pieces in the presence of their parents, and pieces thrown into the fire and in the water, and other sucklings, being bound to small boards, were cut, stuck, and pierced, and miserably massacred in a manner to move a heart of stone. Some were thrown into the river, and when the fathers and mothers endeavored to save them, the soldiers would not let them come on land but made both parents and children drown...

Kids played kickball with the heads of the indians, and one poor fellow was skinned or tortured and forced to walk to his execution. He sang his own death song until he came to the spot where they bashed his head in. One fellow was skinned alive and forced to eat his own skin, but that might've been under the English during King Phillip's War.

The indians united and posed a grave danger. Kieft was removed and replaced by Stuyvesant who calmed things down.

np. i think itd be the best book to study as java and other spice islands were under dutch rule for many hundreds of years, and so they'd serve as the best case study of their colonial methods. The dutch colonies in the west, curacao and surinam being the longest ruled, were minor in comparison as far as I know, and a strong argument can be made that they were insignificant to the overall historical development of the western hemisphere, though I can't tell you its benefits for the dutch economy itself. From what little I know, though, the Dutch had slavery in dutch guiana (surinam) for a long time, until the 19th century I believe, which to me indicates that planter interests dictated the government of the colony rather than humanitarian impulses or the desire of the dutch state to introduce efficient administration and justice. On the other hand, the Dutch were some of the first to recognize the status of maroon colonies, those colonies made of escaped slaves, on the condition that they aid the dutch in returning any more slaves that escaped into their territories. As for the end of slavery, planters introduced a forced labor system similar to the british which entailed the importation of many thousands of subjects from the east indies to labor on plantations (probably harvesting sugar and spices). As a result you the indonesians have made an indelible impact on the culture of surinam.
What little I know of the east indies colonies is that the Dutch, as opposed to the British, allowed natives to become administrators in the colonial administration, but their advancement to the colonial authorities blocked the advancement of indigenous bureaucrats to its upper echelons on racial grounds. Unsurprisingly, this created a big class of discontented indigenous adminsitrators whose common experience provided the basis for their leadership of the independence of indonesia.

sorry for the episodic tone of my post, my knowledge of this area is quite patchy.

two more for your collection OP if you don't already have them

Do you speak any dutch? If you do i could recommend quite a few very good films about the way indonesia was governd

I think the biggest testament to our lack of actual rule over the island is found when researching wars the dutch were involved in. French used algerian troops, british used indian troops, but you'd be hard pressed to find any indonesian troops ever fighting for the dutch in any meaningful way.

I have also alot of interesting old documents about the governing of indonesia, for example i have a telegram where an indonesian woman was arrested for wearing shoes while riding a bike in northern java, she was from a certain ethnic group who did not wear shoes before the dutch arrived, and indonesian were not allowed to wear european clothing, thats how little we wanted them to be influenced.

Dutch empire was trade based, in truth it was more of a company than an empire in any political or militairy way

>Do you speak any dutch? If you do i could recommend quite a few very good films about the way indonesia was governd

Sadly no, i assume there are no subtitles available.

>from a certain ethnic group who did not wear shoes before the dutch arrived, and indonesian were not allowed to wear european clothing, thats how little we wanted them to be influenced.

Thats probably for the better you don't have them swarming your country by the thousands like Indians do the UK. Do Indonesians act like the Dutch owe them something for colonialism or do they not care?

Hey england, how many layers of revenue are you on?
I dont know, maybe 2-3 trillions my dude
You are like a little baby; watch this
V O C C

Hooooly shiiiiet, how the f are they not a superpower.

>implying they weren't

Not exactly true, as in the idea that the relationship between India and the UK is stronger than that of The Netherlands and Indonesia

yes, there was actually a dutch speaking indonesian elite, just as happened with the indians in India. However, most of them actually left Indonesia after its independence and unlike Indonesia India didnt' have a pretty brutal and often criminally ignored war with its colonial master, thus giving the dutch for once and always a very bad reputation ( making it very unlikely to turn it into the lingua franca of the country post-indepence). Just check out some footage of Soekarno and Hatta, they all spoke dutch fluently.
This claim is also not correct. The KNIL was multi-national in its recruiting
>'In 1884 personnel strength was numbered at 13,492 European, 14,982 Indonesian, 96 African, and at least 1,666 Eurasian recruits. The officer corps was wholly European and was probably close to 1,300. There were also about 1,300 horses', The Armed Strength of the Netherlands and Their Colonies. Trotter, JK. The British War Office Intelligence Division 1887

Also, demobilised units of the KNIL fought with the Indonesians after its independence due to the fact the dutch used the etnical tensions in Indonesia for its own advance by recruiting minorities in its army
>' Kahin, George McT. Nationalism and Revolution in Indonesia. Ithaca, New York: Cornell University Press, 1952. p452'

An example of Soekarno speaking dutch:
youtube.com/watch?v=jEGdhUmzF48

We left Suriname too early. Pic related.

>everysinglenonwhitecolony.jpg

Surinam has always been instable as fuck, it is one of the biggest cultural melting pots in the whole world. Importing Indians, Indonesians, Negroes, Chinese and some dutch and lebanese on a small strip land and imagining everything will work out fine, the naivity

>naivity
*naivety

Their conquest of the Indonesian spice Islands was genocidal
>They then went on to perpetrate genocide against the Bandanese. Most historians believe that the population of the Bandas was around 15,000 before 1621. The Dutch brutally massacred all but about 1,000 of them; the survivors were forced to work as slaves in the nutmeg groves. Dutch plantation-owners took control of the spice orchards, and grew wealthy selling their products in Europe at 300 times the production cost. Needing more labor, the Dutch also enslaved and brought in people from Java and other Indonesian islands.

History of Netherlands and Britiain is very tangled, because they had strongest corporations, which even had wars against own states. Its not clear that the conditions were for integration of these monsters into states and what its' current power there.

Based Dutchmen.

Dayum i miss those days

>Stuyvesant calmed things down

Holy shit, the other guy must have really been crazy. Stuyvesant literally told the colonists "We derive our authority from God and the company, not from a few ignorant subjects."