It's 1917

What would you be doing if you were alive 100 years ago?

I'm a British male between the age of 18 and 50 so I'd be dead in a trench somewhere.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=w6RnirpFaZk
myredditvideos.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Icelandic 30 yr old
Fishing or farming.
Pretty comfy desu

I know this isn't /int/ but what's daily life like for an average guy over there? Doesn't it get really boring?

I've lived in aberdeen for a year and in various places in S.America no more boring there than here.
Everything is just on a smaller scale.

German at the age of 28 years.
I have a BSc in Chemistry so I would probably be either a Leutnant vegetating in the trenches with my platoon full with kids or slowly grow cancer thanks to the non-existant safety measures in a chemical plant, producing poison gas.

Did you accidentally have sex with a distant cousin once?

Im french and just went through my majority. So it means I would only be drafted right now to fight in the trenches.
I would just hide in my muddy trench for a year. Since I am (((relatively))) healthy, I might survive until march 1918. If I'm still alive then, I will be able to cheerfully die during the final offensive phase of the war.

I'd be living in city, making roughly $0.50/h work.

>implying

Only 4 millions Brits from Britain were mobilized

being a good 29 year old slav goyim and dying in the Eastern front for my glorious Austro Hungarian overlords

>American
Same thing I'm doing now: nothing. Doubt I'll make it through the year without getting fucking drafted, though. Probably gonna CI because that war is horseshit.

Brazilian, so likely an uneducated christian rural worker that can't deal with his bisexuality. At least at the time most the rivers in my states would not be dry and populated, so there'd be a lot more skinny dipping and fishing.

But, I'm part spanish, so I could be in Spain, likely being killed either by influenza or bullets.

Or, given my native brazilian ancestry, being killed by uneducated christian farmers. At least some tribes accept bisexuality(the hell if I know from which tribe my grandnanny came from).

Or you'd survive to have some fun with the jews.

Fighting for the Ottoman empire. I'll probably join Ataturk in the Turkish war of independence after.

Making bank by smuggling basic food items into Germany and selling them there at hugely inflated prices, while praying the Dutch government is able to maintain its neutrality in the war.

Due to my trade I'd probably be manufacturing, building or maintaining weaponry somewhere while my fellow French citizens get murdered.
With a lot of luck I wouldn't be deployed on the front line.

I wouldn't have been conscripted but I probably would have volunteered in 14 and died at the Somme.

I would have died at 3 months from German measles.

Young Irish male so probably either dude in a trench somewhere or running across a field with sandwiches n tay for the local ra boys

>mestizos
Absolutely disgusting. Check this pure Castilian blood

Dead since 16

Well I live in Kent so maybe I could wing it and join the coast guard or something

American, so single handedly destroying the German and Habsburg Empires and winning the war.

Already dead

20 y/o Irishman in Dublin.
Probably working a shitty job in the docks and living in a tenement slum house with my wife and 10 kids. That or sitting beside you in the trench wondering why the fuck I signed up.

Retard. Britain had a population of 40 million then. So 20 million men, meaning around 4/20 men were mobilized, subtract children and those over 40 and the vast majority were enlisted.

too hard to read honestly

I was thinking the same thing. it's a pity cos it is actually kinda funny

Then how comes France (which had a smaller population than Britain) mobilized twice as many men?

Argentine guy, 29 years old.
I'd probably be very comfy. Owning or at least working in a beef ranch or living in the city as a white collar worker.

If I was lucky I could be leading a pioneer aviator playboy lifestyle like the late Jorge Newbery. Would have been my dream life desu.

I'm Aussie and pretty impressionable, so I would be a few feet under a Turkish beach.

I don't know was drifting even possible with cars from that era?

Being in my early 20s probably in a trench trying not to die, or getting a job in labor. Thankfully in US so don't have worry so much about WW 1

18 year old Indian American

Chances are I'd be fine

Don't forget the colonies that needed troops to maintain order.

Because France was mobilizing the young and old, fighting tooth and nail. Britain was never at risk of being invaded. Britain only had to mobilize men of fighting age.

Well, as a 20 y.o. Russian I would be fucked up. Even if I survived WWI with a force of miracle, I would be killed in the most brutal Civil War in history. The side I would join doesn't matter.

"Mmfm fmm fmfmmmf gmmfmfm"
And at the soldier's feet:
*squish squish squish*

You're welcome

>26 year old British male who was a junior officer in the army reserves for a couple of years when I was younger

I would probably be dead

You country really have the most fascinating history of the whole mankind desu
Wish I could be an omniscient oberver of Russian/Soviet Union history from 1905 to 1945

Rural Bavaria here.
I would be already dead due to a ruptured appendix in 1911.
If not, I would probably serve at the Balkan theatre fighting Serbs and Romanians like my grand Grandpa did.

But you would have done it for the King, user, that's something.

>computer engineer
WELP better get started on them artillery computers.

Good thing I took apart a mechanical calculator as a child

Three years ago I was still at university, so I'd probably be either a dead German in France, or I'd try to make the best damn propaganda in my field of studies.

> Spain, 1917

> Being killed by influenza and bullets

Yes, you are still uneducated

I'm an educated young Englishman with a background in the classics so I would presumably become an officer and die ignobly on the Somme under the impression I was fighting in the manner of a heroic figure.

>be military aged male in soviet union around 1910s
>probably die in a really brutal war
>if you somehow survive, probably die in a really brutal civil war
>if you somehow survive, die of hunger if you're ukrainian, or die in the most brutal war of all time
>if you somehow survive, you get to live the rest of your life in a shithole

Is being a Slav the worst possible fate?

Probably be living on a dirt farm in North Carolina

>4/20
420 BLAZE IT NIGGAS

Well, I'm typing you an answer from an iPhone sitting on a comfy chair in a bar enjoying vodka, so I don't think that being a slav nowadays is something terrible, even though our country is under sanctions and shiiiiet. But around 100 years ago - yes, Russia was literally hell on Earth and being born as Slav was 100% misfortune in the lottery.

- Probably making megabucks off of the war since I'd be involved in some form of banking or finance

Bump

I'd probably die fighting italians or fellow slavs

>28-year-old American
I'd probably be working in a brewery.

I'm Dutch so I'd be profiteering off the war by selling supplies to the Germans.

I'd be stationed in the capital on my way to the front, looking at protesters, about to join them in the toppling of the rotten regime. Ostensibly to bring liberty and democracy but actually because I'd be afraid of starving to death in trenches somewhere in Poland.

German peasant.

So probably just as dead in a trench as you, OP. Maybe we can share a blasted crater?

I would be in the trenches, wishing I was back home in Leytonstone

youtube.com/watch?v=w6RnirpFaZk

>23 year old American.
I'd be on a boat headed towards Europe, already in Europe fucking French qts or dead in a coal mine.

Newfoundland regiment?

I forgot; if not any of those things I'd be working on a barge on the Mississippi

I always wanted to visit a Slavic country. Which one would you recommend and how much are west-Europeans welcomes there?

>be russian living around voronezh/tsaritsin
>slaughter austrians
>slaughter turks
>proceed to die by reds if I side with the whites
>proceed to die by whites if I side with the reds

I've always been curious about this subject. I have always thought about going AWOL or deserting if ever put in a situation like that.

I mean I doubt I'd be able to pay anyone to hide me in their basement. So I'd probably be sent to the front. But once I received my weapon and ammunition what would stop me from deserting in the middle of the night and hunting small game once far enough?

Giving myself a blighty

Why stop at 1945?

I'm a NEET Turk. I would be in a lot of trouble.

>be russian man
>die
And the world rejoiced.

29 y.o french

Dead or maybe some military office job since i graduated

>what would stop me from deserting in the middle of the night

the literally dozens of people you would encounter who would all challenge you on what the fuck you were doing

war doesn't stop at night user

Lying dead in Antwerp, Liege or in the Yser-river. Anyhow would'nt be looking good for a Belgian fellow in 14-18

>Be finnish
>Hide from the draft
>Enjoy soon to be independence
>Turn sour since shit will get fucked in the civil war

Not the worst place to be, but things could be better.

>26 y/o (good) university educated Englander

I speak good Turkish and Arabic so hopefully I'd get a commission and be posted to Cairo to do intelligence work and meet Lawrence

pretty comfy desu

Well the stagnation of the ussr is kind of depressing and dull compared to the great period of conflict.
But I have to admit that Prague Spring, the peretroiska and all the stuff that started during the 70's and ended in the 90's woud also be awesome to watch.

Dane here. Probably being a fisherman or shopkeeper apprentice, if we go by where I was born and raised. Pretty simple life, would actually in some way prefer that.

Korean here. Getting ready for a Japanese butt pounding.

I would have killed myself 10-15 (110-115?) years ago due to even worse mental health care than the garbage we have today.

West coast of soon-to-be independent Finland here, I'd most likely live on the farm my family owned back then (and still does), which means I'd be siding with the Whites in the upcoming Civil War. I wouldn't know it at this point, but I'd probably be involved with the local civil guard, and would have to hide or get the fuck out of here once the hostilites start, as this region was on the Red side of the line, and my prosepects of staying alive wouldn't be good.

21 able-bodied Bulgarian male
Conscripted and fighting the anglo menace, just like the rest of the quarter of the entire population that has been mobilised

Ostracised from my local community for consciously objecting probably.

22 Belgian Flemish male, probably work for the national newspaper or German propaganda. After the war I'll be fighting for Flemish rights.

Canadian here but my eyes are shit (glasses dont help) so i would be at home reading about the war

>WW1 was hell where trenches were bombed 24/7 and men were on the frontline trench every single day of their service

Piss off.

American. Own a business. Probably wouldn't sign up but would invest in the Bolshevik revolution somehow and put those reds in power. Fuck imperialism.

Germany, 21 yo
Im fit for service and would have volunteered right at the start of the war
Im a tall guy, so I guess i would have been killed by shells or projectiles during the first year

Dead 3 years ago

Essex, UK I'm 21 atm would have signed up first thing in 1914

Nice museum in St. Johns

>tfw chink
>Dead in 20ish years.
>Civil war - Nip invasion - Civil war

Well i'll end up either dragged into the republican army, press ganged by the nips or taken by the commies.

Would be busy passing weapons to Canada from the USA

Probably fighting Italians on the carso.

Irish and not strongly nationalist or politically motivated so probably just shooting the shit. Same as today

Thought it was the memorial in (name escapes me) in France with the list of MIA

Irishman here

Probably avenging the Lusitania

>I'm going to invest in the regime that invaded its neighbours and basically worked to recreate the Russian Empire and more the following decades
>fuck imperialism
Dumb americunt

American. Will have a degree in economics by the time my country enters the war in force a year from then.

I'll just be chilling at home with my very well-paying job, probably won't enlist and become one of the 2.2 million sent to France. Will be in for a rude awakening in 20 years though.

22 year old Canadian, either dead in a trench in France or freezing my ass off on a farm somewhere.

Take the soup and drop the O', good West Brit

>Not joining the IRB/IRA and freeing your country from its imperial shackles

>20yo Romanian

Get killed by the Germans while defending Moldova in the Carphatian Mountains.