DOes history repeat itself?

A lot of news sources describe current political/international events as something that has been done before, thus pushing the notion that history repeats itself.
I can understand that the phrase is true when the history of the world or nations is extremely trivialised and dumbed down. Is this saying even relevant and/or true? If so, to what extent?

Yes

No

Maybe

This

Come on guys, I think that this topic is worthy of discussion
Or do you prefer the 'what the fuck was his problem' threads?

they are of more substance than this thread will ever be

I don't know

If there is one thing to be learned from history, it is that people only rarely learn anything from history.

ask again

The very fact that we are typing our opinions on a computer, as opposed to calling technology satan machine and tilling our farms is proof that mankind learns from their mistakes. That is not to say that there won't be those who must make mistakes that have been made before, because there will. But with the foolish history repeaters also come those who see what is wrong and strive towards a better future. Eventually,the smarter and more empathetic have always prevailed, and mankind has been, is, and will continue to improve. There will be a day when our ideas and the truth will be the same.

*ideals, not ideas

"History doesn't repeat itself, but often it does rhyme."

-possibly Mark Twain

there are only so many things that can happen in the Universe, so given infinite time, things will repeat themselves near infinite amount of times

Corsi e ricorsi

read into it

this is cool

your average Amish is probably happier than your average wagecuck.

It's like pottery

history is cyclical and human nature is immutable

Good thing we don't have infinite time then.

Somewhat off-topic
but i do think there are certain trends, or waves we can understand societal development with

Here's what i think, the popular political idea has recently been leftwingism, right?
But there seems things are now moving towards the right
Before this trend of left, things were of course also right, and before that left etc
But, i also think that for every single left/right cycle since WW2, things have been more towards the left than the previous one. You can imagine a line going towards the left, but every so often zigzagging a bit back towards the right
But there's no denying that the rightwing agenda now seems a lot bigger than before, so i think things have now gone so far left that people are tired of it, and it's about to move in the same pattern towards the right with gradual swings back to the left

I'm not trying to push any sort of agenda, this is genuinely what i think.
Any thoughts?

I can see this happening. Especially in America where the left had pushed many ideals and laws (such as AA and in 60s ending Freedom of Association) onto not only the Right, but people such as classical Liberals and Libertitians.

The question is, which Right are we going to see? Or we going to see things such as civic nationalism, nationalism, Libertitian Right or what?