Historical facts we wish we could unlearn

>"Declassified documents show that the United States knew immediately after the Korean War that North Korea had failed to turn over hundreds of American prisoners known to be alive at the end of the war (about 900)."
>"While not dismissing the analyst's report entirely, the Defense Department has said it has no clear evidence that any Americans are being held against their will in North Korea, although it has pledged to continue to investigate accounts of defectors and others who say they have seen American prisoners there."

Just... Fuck man. I wish I had never learned this fact. I'm not even sure why, but this article really upset me. Like, dutifully serving your country only to have them give you the middle finger and leave you to be tortured in Korea for all eternity sounds really fucking awful. I feel so bad for those poor US soldiers. I have a newfound hatred for president Eisenhower btw.

Other urls found in this thread:

nytimes.com/1996/09/17/world/us-knew-in-1953-north-koreans-held-american-pow-s.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malmedy_massacre
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Article for those interested.

nytimes.com/1996/09/17/world/us-knew-in-1953-north-koreans-held-american-pow-s.html

Nice reddit post you got there OP.

I don't even go on Reddit. I found this on Kick-ass facts.

How could Eisenhower sleep soundly knowing what he'd done?

There is not a single thing I've learned that I'd wished I could forget.

Any truth that you've deemed to be frightening, inconvenient or simply something you can't handle still happened, regardless of your awareness of it. Your knowing of the event is inconsequential in any scheme that matters.

Except one, empowering yourself.

In fact, finding out you've been lied to should make you want to find more lies, not run away from the truth like they want you to.

this is the gayest thing i've read

Hey, at least your a fuck head with Quads.

Pretentious desu,

no

eisenhower did nothing wrong

the real culprit here is allen dulles

he hand his fingers in everyones pie

i doubt eisenhower even knew about this

That's what happens when you trust statists.

Enlightened.
Unenlightened shitposting.

>expecting fascist capitalist warmongers to care about the fate of their soldiers

this

Why anyone would trust these people is baffling. If Trumpo has a draft I'm off to Canada

This is the only reasonable post in the thread.

I can't even think of one historical fact I wish I could "unlearn", whatever the fuck that even means.

OP's thread is fucking gay.

Hated Eisenhower after I learnt about Operation Ajax, as well as his order to have Lumumba assassinated.

>While not dismissing the analyst's report entirely, the Defense Department has said it has no clear evidence that any Americans are being held against their will in North Korea, although it has pledged to continue to investigate accounts of defectors and others who say they have seen American prisoners there

there is literally nothing wrong with this

>When the First Sergeant asked West what he wanted it for, West responded that he was going to "kill the sons of bitches." West then told the soldiers guarding the POWs to "turn around if you don't want to see it."[8]

He then killed the POWs by shooting them with the Thompson. When the bodies were discovered some thirty minutes later, it was noted that each POW had been shot through the heart, which indicated shooting at close range. Investigators later learned that after West had emptied the Thompson into the group of POWs, he "stopped to reload, then walked among the men in their pooling blood and fired a single round into the hearts of those still moving."

That moment when I realized I had been brainwashed all my life into believing that our boys were perfect little soldiers and only nazis killed and raped civilians

a lot of his is contrarian because they never learned to be pragmatic

What is Vietnam?

>Not shooting mad dogs through the heart is somehow right.

*tips fedora*

Polk deliberately engineered an incident on the Mexican border in order to conjure up a pretext to invade a sovereign country and wrest their land away. Essentially he sent American soldiers to needlessly die. A number of Irish Americans serving in the army defected to the Mexicans and fought against the Americans because they were treated better in Mexico than they were in America, they were called the San Patricios. Abraham Lincoln as junior Illinois congressman and former president John Quincy Adams, among others, spoke out against the war.

I don't 'regret' learning this, I just think it's something that gets glossed over in American history.

They payed mexico for it though and let Mexicans keep their land on the american side though. They later sold it to federal banks and private banks that sold it to American colonist.

>They payed mexico for it though
If I take your property by force and then negotiate a settlement with you at gunpoint, ultimately coming to a price that was way less than what it was worth, did I rightfully 'pay you for it?'

"Gulf Of Tonkin Incident"

Phoenix Program

>eisenhower did nothing wrong
He should have let MacArthur use nukes. Just nuke our way all the way across Asia. Nuke the Russkies too, because fuck them. We could have won a nuclear war in the 50s and conquered the world.

How certain of that outcome would you be at the time? Certain enough to risk the world ending as we knew it?

>did I rightfully 'pay you for it?'
No.
>Did I pay you for it?
Yes.

Are you insisting that a nominal payment absolves the US of any wrongdoing? What point are you trying to make?

"Operation Northwoods"

I wish I could forget this post.

In all fairness, the government of Mexico had been offering to sell most of that land to the US for years. However, negotiations always fell through because their government was so unstable. The US was clearly responsible for starting the war, but Mexico let that situation fester.

You could not build enough nukes to stop the chinks. Mao was an absolute madman.

I know this sounds fedora-y but its true nonetheless

>nuke China
>US has a stockpile of 50-75 nukes
>not enough nukes left to keep the reds out of Europe

>eisenhower did nothing wrong
>"Disarmed Enemy Forces"

WHADDABOUT
THE
GULF
OF
TAWNKIN

That story about those indians that tortured that one guy during the revolutionary war I think that was to the point where even the most tolerant cucked hippy would say "those fucking redskin savages deserved it"

start shit get hit

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malmedy_massacre

What MacArthur should have done is not ignored the reports, aerial recon and fucking live Chinese prisoners and put the NATO army on full alert while pulling back to more defensible positions.
The Chinese army was only slightly larger than the NATO force, and far more poorly equipped. They achieved what they did because they achieved near complete surprise they shouldn't have and because MacArthur deployed a division directly into the maw of the approaching army expecting to only engage a shattered North Korean company.

Wouldn't have needed nukes if FDR had just fucking fired MacArthur for incompetence when he fucked the Philippines 10 years ago.

NATO?

I have nothing but seething hatred for Dulles. He and his brother fucked up Guatemala for money and got an airport named after them for it.

Iirc the army is already starting to hate him in record time.

>talking out of your ass
The US offered to buy it constantly and the various Mexican governments told them to fuck off, Iturbide, Victoria, Santa Anna, all of them

Unit 731
fucking nips, man...
And the fact that we let them off the hook for some fucking data about what happens when you tickle someones brain with a close hanger.

clothes*
fuck

fuck off we're full

Beijing + Moscow
You don't need to glass a continent.

>someone uses a figure of speech or makes a statement that is obviously not true and to be taken as a joke
>they get taken literally
Why do I see this shit here all the time? You people stretch for any excuse to tip that fedora and feel intellectually euphoric.

Funny, I've been hearing the opposite.
>inb4 hurr durr marines aren't the army

Well... Going to war on a paper thin pretext and then being humiliatingly BTFO by a loose collaboration of half starved rice farmers is a bit shit.

>paper thin pretext
>aiding south vietnam against northern incursion

you're sofa king retarded

>being humiliatingly BTFO by a loose collaboration of half starved rice farmers is a bit shit.
Supported by the USSR and PRC.
The NVA was pretty well equipped for its day.
The VC were the rice farmers.

oh shit, someone replied.

>all the boyfucking, molesting and full-homo manrape that took place during ancient times until this very day in some regions of the world

Wrong thread this is shit we wanna forget.

Easy there, Asimov

He doesn't literally mean he wishes he could unlearn the fact, you pretentious twit. He's employing hyperbole for rhetorical effect: "What are some historical facts that really, really upset you?"

wow ebin deep

>Historical facts we wish we could unlearn

Khrushchev originally liked Kennedy and really wanted him to win, even asking the KGB to do what it could to help (that sounds more nefarious than it probably actually was)

Also, while it was seen as a victory for the west, the fact that america withdrew missiles from Turkey to end the cuban missile crisis but just didnt talk about it.

It should be noted though that Kennedy was surrounded by people both civilian and military who wanted to invade cuba immediately. A weaker man might have listened and we'd all be dead by now.

Dan Carlin podcast eh

Those bombs during Korean War times were not as powerful as you think.

Moscow and Beijing could both have needed several bombs each to fully destroy it. But the commies already had secret bunkers in isolated places.

So you wasted half your stockpile on the capitals and probably the other important cities. The governments are still active and push through with their gigantic armies.

The Reds take Korea for real, and in the west they push to the Rhine with ease. Real resistance won't be possible until the Reds are in France. Once you start dropping bombs on European soil, most of the European NATO nations capitulates and why wouldnt they? If their choice was to become an atomized battle ground.

FOLKS IMAGINE IF CHURCHILL HAD THE BOMB? OR GHENGIS KHAN OR ALEXANDER THE GREAT OR dare I say... HITLER

>giving a glory to mattis
Literally sacrilege.

Speaking as a [spoiler]Californian[/spoiler[ I'm prepared to forgive Polk.

Mattis is opposed to Trump in nearly every area they could realistically come into conflict over, and our special forces (which Trump seems to see as an ace in the hole which keeps on playin') is being stretched almost to the point of exhaustion. The rank and file love Trump, but those with special skills and responsibilities are trepidatious about him, at best.

>A weaker man might have listened and we'd all be dead by now.
I saw someone posting here that with what we now know about the USSR's nuclear capability, we'd have trounced them at the cost of a couple cities at most until the mid-seventies.
Of course, I read that here, and didn't research it further, so grain of salt.

Bump
Sage

Ahmed plz

This was WW2, though, where the allieds could do no wrong

>2/3 of Warsaw's prewar population had died by 1945

Tbh those were poles, they pretty much only exist to drop dead whenever they can.

Officially speaking, Dresnok is the only American in NK. I don't really think there would be that many Americans in captivity and NK wouldn't use them in their propaganda or try to trade them to the US.

delet this u mongoloid

I've got a number of books on the topic, so I'll provide some sources later. However, to summarize, some of Mexico's leaders flirted with the idea of selling a portion of California, usually to cover debts. The idea was never popular with the general populace, so the Mexican government often publicly denounced it, but that doesn't mean it wasn't discussed behind the scenes. The problem was that the Mexican government was continually changing hands between congresses and dictators, so it was very hard for the US to gauge Mexico's position on the matter.

I don't think that I'll.

You're right, but a total fucking autist
stop writing like a faggot

The experiments with black men and syphillis. Shit was pure evil.

H Y P E R B O L E

When someone says "I'm so hungry I could eat a horse", do you immediately start lecturing them on why they shouldn't do that?

>The Bush administration engineered 9/11 to justify taking away our civil liberties and getting oil

Holy shit why the fuck wasn't there a civil war over this but now we'll have one over Trump who did absolutely nothing

>Irish Americans
Were they white?

Bogpilled.

>Just... Fuck man. I wish I had never learned this fact.
Yep, it's definitely a figure of speech.

>bush starts drone killings and massive domestic spy programs
>people whine
>obama not only continues them but also expands on them
>nobody gives a shit

Because he is black and gave the people a false sense of hope and change. There.

There was definitely a gap in terMS of available nuclear weaponry, but nobody except for the most rabid anticommunists and military lifers thought that losing several American cities would have been acceptable losses even if the Soviets were destroyed.

Who? The generals? The people that politicked and bended knee for the abominable obama administration? Rank and file either dont care or enjoy him.

>on Kick-ass facts
bitch

>conquer the world
please tell me again how globalism is bad

100,000 Germans taken prisoner at Stalingrad. Less than 6,000 ever returned home.

republicans cared
some figures in the left cared
several humanitarian aid agencies cared

What is getting used to it?

there`s a scene in Band Of brothers where one guy kills pow`s

i'm a disabled black transgender lesbian and i even agree with this

Who are these two? could I get a quick rundown?

am I supposed to feel bad?