Who was the best Roman Emperor?

Who was the best Roman Emperor?

Theodosius

Julius

Counting the legitimate successors to Rome, Suleiman the Magnificent

Personally? I quite enjoyed the Five Good Emperors. They ruled over a century of the Empire at her zenith, and I would've absolutely preferred living under that than Augustus.

t*rk

I'd say Majorian was the most impressive, taking all factors into account

Anyone with an interest in literature would have to say Augustus (by virtue of his relationship to Maecenas) due to his patronage of the arts. Latin Literature underwent a severe decay immediately after his death.

inb4 people who fell for the cult of personality of shitty Emperors. Of course Nero and Caligula are interesting, but there's nothing great about them.

>Autist saves an empire but gave way to the blueprint of medieval selfdom

Basically Diocletian. Love how he stepped up to the challenge and just wanted to plant some fucking cabbages in the end.

Diocletian persecuted the Christians

Aurelius.

>gave way to the blueprint of medieval selfdom

He couldn't have known it at the time. In his mind what he saw was...

>well fuck the economy is going down the pan and the barbarians are slowly gathering into ever-larger confederations
>we need to expand the army, fortify the frontiers and enact serious reforms
>we need to get more money for this...
>hmm
>oh I know!
>since all the peasants keep moving around to try and avoid the census and taxes, we'll make it so that certain jobs are hereditary and some people will have to stay in the local pagus they were born into to ensure that the tax money flows
>i'll make it so they can pay in food or goods to make it slightly easier on them!

Five centuries, the roots of feudalism take root.

Mehmet II or Suleiman the Magnificent.

ALEXIOS I KOMNENOS BEST EMPEROR

Charlemagne

Domitian is seriously the best emperor apart from Augustus.

>effective administration
>Strengthened the Roman currency to levels that it had never seen or would see again
>effective border control and protection
>was so good at ruling by himself the Senate got mad and killed him after 20 years

Pompey

Good.

Of course I don't blame him. I blame his successors for not revoking his system when things got better.

Frederick I

Vespasian

Marcus Aurelius

That's a funny fucking way of saying Trajan.

Mussolini

You were the only other one.

Mehmet the Conqueror!