Which was better- Mali or Songhai?

Which was better- Mali or Songhai?

Other urls found in this thread:

upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/c/c3/Flag_of_France.svg/1500px-Flag_of_France.svg.png
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

800 years of history boiled into one chapter in every history text book

WE

ghana

>We should be interested in thing because we just should.

No I am saying it is kind of stupid that every world history textbook (In America) has the exact same chapter on them. I find it funny that I have read the same thing about like 5 times in grade and high-school.

>tfw never learned about them until I was in highschool when playing a strategy game

Weird I thought American text books were relatively uniform.

I'm not American.

It's an unfortunate fact that periphery states that didn't really directly influence the West get ignored, but it's hardly a malicious thing. For most people, there's not enough time to learn all of world history, so you have to save time on the points that matter - namely, the events that are closest to them.

The Almoravids say hi.

I'm not refuting any of that honestly I am just saying I didn't need to see five times. I understand that countries focus on their own history more than other so the other parts of the world become concise summaries. I just think it is funny I read this same and I mean exactly the same chapter in 5, 7,8, 10 and 12 grade.
Ahhh sorry

Completely understandable. My current interest in Africa lies primarily in West Africa. I may delve into Southern Africa on the future. Like a lot if things, you pick and choose.

Europe.

calling it an empire without even inventing the wheel and still living in mudhuts

upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/c/c3/Flag_of_France.svg/1500px-Flag_of_France.svg.png

Nobody apart from the Mayans and random Central Eurasian steppeniggers "invented" the wheel.

WUZ

Songhai is pretty annoying. They always resist my attempt at conversion.

I hate that Mali and Songhai are treated like the height of West African civilization. Their whole claim to fame is having lots of gold and having one city with a famous name.

Benin, Ashanti, the Yoruba and the Hausa are way more interesting.

>muh wheels
do you guys ever get tired of this shit? No great empire ever invented the wheel, because it was invented a handful of times.

that's supposed to be impressive? it looks like rank of squalor. The height of Negro "civilization."

Mali because it survives to this day

Ghana because literally none of it is included in modern day Ghana
Just like Benin
What were they thinking?

I was posting a picture of a Hausa city because it seemed relevant to the thread, not trying to impress some obtuse manchild. And how exactly does it look like 'squalor'? It's a wide, straight street filled with people and lined with fairly nice buildings. Maybe you consider puddles on the side of a road to be 'squalor'? I know you subhuman /pol/lacks just see what you want to see, but at least try to be coherent.

Do you know whats an empire at least?

AFAIK they definitely had wheels, as well as horses and metal working, checkmate.

Modern day Ghana is named such for political and nationalistic reasons. Last I checked, it's yet to be proved that the population of modern day Ghana are the descendants of the ancient Ghanese people.

Semi-related question for you anons: anyone know of a good book or two on West African history? I never got a chance to study it in uni, and this thread has sparked my curiosity.

It's a bit old so it misses a lot of recent archaeological evidence (which is very important considering West African archaeology is relatively new), but the UNESCO history of Africa is available online.

WE