Christianity thread

Lets discuss our faith, regardless of church, when did you realize that you believed in God? Where you raised Christian or did you find your way, what are your favorite prayers, verses, hymns, depictions of Christ, Mary, the saints e.t.c. Lets get a nice comfy thread going without throwing shit at other churches.

I was baptized as an Orthodox Christian, apart from my grandmother, nobody in my family was religious, all of my siblings including myself were atheists for a while, i returned to my faith once i realized i was just being an edgy shitlord and that there was no way in hell i, a human being, could ever even begin to comprehend something as God.

youtube.com/watch?v=33XotuYs-io

youtube.com/watch?v=AE1FzSC8DBs

Some of my favorite hymns.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_Orthodox_Church#Resurrection_of_Christ
chalcedon.edu/faith-for-all-of-life/the-resurrection-5/faith-in-the-catacombs/
google.com/amp/aleteia.org/2016/10/27/wikileaks-uncovers-confirmation-of-podestas-catholic-spring-infrastructure/amp/?client=safari
google.com/amp/yournewswire.com/wikileaks-soros-vatican-coup/amp/?client=safari
whyangels.com/what_do_angels_do.html
youtube.com/watch?v=VwDtqrRGmo8
youtube.com/watch?v=y_Lb1exX7s8
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Primus_inter_pares
discord.gg/A47yfGB
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>tfw started studying Greek and Hebrew and reading the bible so I could btfo heretics and fedoras
>tfw starting to lose my faith

I was raised a Protestant, but became and edgy fedora in my teens. I recently regained my faith, but was turned off by Protestantism's anti traditional, anti philosophical and anti aesthetically views. Everything that's not in the bible is vain philosophy, traditions of men, paganism, etc. It's fucking annoying. I began to take an interest in traditional Catholicism but then pope Francis happened and I learned about Vatican II, and thE general corruption of the Catholic Church way before that. Right now I'm strongly considering orthodoxy, meanwhile I remain a Protestant.

Anti aesthetic*

Discuss about anything?

>The Orthodox Church understands the death and resurrection of Christ Jesus to be real historical events, as described in the gospels of the New Testament. Jesus Christ, the Son of God, was in his humanity (that is, in history) crucified, and died, descending into Hades (Sheol), the place of the dead, as all humans do. But He, alone among humans, has two natures, one human, one divine, which are indivisible and inseparable from each other through the mystery of the incarnation. Hades could not restrain the infinite God. Christ in His divine nature captured the keys of Hades and broke the bonds which had imprisoned the human souls who had been held there through their separation from God.

>Neither could death contain the Son of God, the Fountain of Life, who arose from death even in his human nature. Not only this, but he opened the gates of Hades to all the righteous dead of past ages, rescuing them from their fallen human nature and restoring them to a nature of grace with God, bringing them back to life, this time in God's heavenly kingdom. And this path he opened to all who choose to follow him in time yet to come, thus saving the human race. Thus the Orthodox proclaim each year at the time of Pascha (Easter), that Christ "trampled down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowed life."
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_Orthodox_Church#Resurrection_of_Christ

>>tfw started studying Greek and Hebrew and reading the bible so I could btfo heretics and fedoras
>>tfw starting to lose my faith

Why?

>I was raised a Protestant, but became and edgy fedora in my teens. I recently regained my faith

Just like me, this has made my faith much stronger. I do understand your feelings on Catholicism and Protestantism, but Orthodoxy has its pitfalls, its not as well organized as Catholicism imo.

Anything relating to your faith and in general to Christianity, NOT ANIME, so fuck off with that shit.

Woah those catacombs are fucking creepy, where are they from? Whats the story with the skulls.

Pic related is apparently the hand of St. George, from a tiny village in Macedonia, the monastery apparently has a fragment of the true cross as well, but i obviously i find this doubtful.

"The early Christians followed the custom of burying the dead even though this represented a considerable effort and expense and, in the case of the Romans, a rejection of longstanding social practice. Augustine said that "the Holy Spirit has made use, as instruments and vessels, for all good works" of the body of believers. He denied any superstitious belief in the life of the corpse in death, such as those that dominated Egyptian respect for the dead, but attributed Christian burial to the belief that even bodies of believers were under God's providence in anticipation of their resurrection. Cremation was condemned as lacking reverence and a practical denial of the belief in resurrection Christians were to profess. It was not without cruel intent that many martyrs were denied burial by being burnt by their persecutors. It was perhaps thought to deny them, or at least mock, a future hope in which the Christians were known to believe."
chalcedon.edu/faith-for-all-of-life/the-resurrection-5/faith-in-the-catacombs/

You've know that Pope Francis's illegitimate takeover of the papacy was literally a coup backed by the CIA, right? Wikileaks confirmed this.

Dude he supposedly killed a dragon. The hand is the least incredible part of the story.

No, I didn't know that. Source?

google.com/amp/aleteia.org/2016/10/27/wikileaks-uncovers-confirmation-of-podestas-catholic-spring-infrastructure/amp/?client=safari

What do you do in heaven for an eternity? Loaf around?

Another one
google.com/amp/yournewswire.com/wikileaks-soros-vatican-coup/amp/?client=safari

>I was baptized as an Orthodox Christian
but I wanted to make fun of you people and post that picture of the Pope

Nice, thank you very much.

>Saints and god are supposed to make sense to humans

Throughout the Bible we are told that angels have many roles including:

•Being God's Messengers
•Being God's Holy Warriors
•Watching History Unfold
•Praising & Worshipping God
•Being 'Guardian Angels' - Protecting & Directing people on behalf of God

The are very varied activities and, as we'll see, they can sometimes overlap!
whyangels.com/what_do_angels_do.html

>but I wanted to make fun of you people and post that picture of the Pope

Nice try Mehmed

youtube.com/watch?v=VwDtqrRGmo8

Depictions of the divine is idolatry, and worship of saints is polytheism.

Catholics aren't Christian

this

YOU don't do anything, your soul unites with God

So every soul that goes to heaven becomes an angel?

"When the dead rise, they will neither marry nor be given in marriage; they will be like the angels in heaven."

We don't WORSHIP saints, we just VENERATE THEM A LOT

CIA might not be accurate. NGOs and State actors on behalf of the then US govt would accurate.

Daily reminder that Protestcuntism is a rehashed version of the judaizing heresy combated by Saint Paul.

If current pope and Vatican II make you reject Catholicism then you didn't read about it enough. Basics:
>Only time that you need to listen to Pope is when he speaks ex cathedra. Last time that happened was in 1950s. Of course his office is de facto and de iure "Prime minister of Mesianic Kingdom" but if he act like retard you have all the rights to call out his bullshit
>The only way to interpret VII is, just like Synod of 1985(?) proclaimed, to do it in the light and tradition of all "Pre-VII" Church.
>Traditionalism is on rise, SPPX may come back soon in full communion, real Francis is not Francis that media give you (For exemple he called media shiteaters and media make it into "fakenews" meme).

And orthodoxy is preaty much in the limbo since Council of Florence and their fucking with "how to make council" rules.

French Agni Parthene best Agni Parthene

youtube.com/watch?v=y_Lb1exX7s8

>Catholic Spring
>It was about Vatican
>Not about trying to cuck Church in USA into Latin America tier liberal fest.
Also
>Impling that Gates of Hell prevailed
>ever
>even for half of planck time in the entire history

New American Standard Bible
"Do not be called leaders; for One is your Leader, that is, Christ.

Heaven is not something that can be described in time and space language.

I wasn't raised Christian, so I'm genuinely interested in what goes on up there. Does the bible not give hints?

>Does the bible not give hints

Any time Christ says "the Kingdom of Heaven is like..."

>It's "lyman-protestant with no idea what he is talking about try to interpret scripture by cherry picking verses and fail" episode
Let's take context to this verse. For exemple, on of veres next to it is "“Do not call anyone on earth your father; for One is your Father, He who is in heaven." But oh my, let's look on on of epistles. In second Timothy Paul writes "To Timothy my dearly beloved son". Paul called himself Father! 1 Peter " and so doth my son Markę. Peter calls himself Father! 1 John "My little children, these things I write to you". John calls himself Father! So what does it mean? Did Apostles that wrote Bible didn't know what Jesus said? Did they didn't know what they are doing? Of course not! They knew exaclly what Jesus siad and what they are doing. They know that Jesus spoke in hyperbole to shame and rebuke hypocrycy and pride Pharisees. They understood it so you should to.
This (also little note: Kingodm of Heaven is also within Christian) and "That eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither hath it entered into the heart of man, what things God hath prepared for them that love him."

>The phrase "first among equals" is also used to describe the role of the Patriarch of Constantinople, who, as the Ecumenical Patriarch, is the first among all the bishops of the Eastern Orthodox Church. He has no direct jurisdiction over the other patriarchs or the other autocephalous Orthodox churches and cannot interfere in the election of bishops in autocephalous churches, but he alone enjoys the right of convening extraordinary synods consisting of them (and/or their delegates) to deal with ad hoc situations, and he has also convened well-attended Pan-Orthodox Synods in the last forty years. His title is an acknowledgement of his historic significance and of his privilege to serve as primary spokesman for the Eastern Orthodox Communion. His moral authority is highly respected.

>The Roman Catholic and Eastern Catholic Churches consider the Pope to be the Vicar of Christ, successor of Saint Peter, and leader of the bishops, successors of the Apostles. As such, these Churches do not see the Pope as being "first among equals," but as actually holding an office above that of other bishops. This jurisdictional claim was one of the main causes of the East-West Schism in the Church, which became formal in 1054. The Dean of the College of Cardinals in the Catholic Church is generally considered to be the first among equals in the College.
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Primus_inter_pares

Obama even cut all aid to the Vatican. It was clearly about the Vatican

>Orthodox Christians believe in the Holy Trinity, three distinct, divine persons (hypostases), without overlap or modality among them, who share one divine essence (ousia Greek οὐσία)— uncreated, immaterial and eternal.[94] These three persons are typically distinguished by their relation to each other. The Father is eternal and not begotten and does not proceed from any, the Son is eternal and begotten of the Father, and the Holy Spirit is eternal and proceeds from the Father. Orthodox doctrine regarding the Holy Trinity is summarized in the Symbol of Faith.[95]

>In discussing God's relationship to His creation, Orthodox theology distinguishes between God's eternal essence, which is totally transcendent, and His uncreated energies, which is how He reaches us. The God who is transcendent and the God who touches us are one and the same. That is, these energies are not something that proceed from God or that God produces, but rather they are God himself: distinct, yet inseparable from, God's inner being.[96]

> i returned to my faith once i realized i was just being an edgy shitlord

After reading this, my favorite verse is "Let he who's without sin cast the first stone"

Protestantism is not splintering into further denominations, they're coagulating into non-denominational evangelicalism

>Anabaptism (from Neo-Latin anabaptista,[1] from the Greek ἀναβαπτισμός: ἀνά- "re-" and βαπτισμός "baptism"[2]) is a Christian movement which traces its origins to the Radical Reformation in Europe. Traditionally this movement is seen as an offshoot of European Protestantism, but recently this view is challenged, mostly by Anabaptists themselves.[3][page needed][4][5]

>Mormons have developed a strong sense of communality that stems from their doctrine and history. During the 19th century, Mormon converts tended to gather to a central geographic location, and between 1852 and 1890 a minority of Mormons openly practiced plural marriage, a form of religious polygamy. Mormons dedicate large amounts of time and resources to serving in their church, and many young Mormons choose to serve a full-time proselytizing mission. Mormons have a health code which eschews alcoholic beverages, tobacco, coffee, tea, and other addictive substances. They tend to be very family-oriented, and have strong connections across generations and with extended family, reflective of their belief that families can be sealed together beyond death. Mormons also have a strict law of chastity, requiring abstention from sexual relations outside of heterosexual marriage and fidelity within marriage.

No.

The angels were created as angels. The human will remain human BUT with a spiritual body somehow similar to them.

Council of Florence

>i returned to my faith once i realized i was just being an edgy shitlord and that there was no way in hell i, a human being, could ever even begin to comprehend something as God.
Profound insight from an intellectual heavyweight, no doubt.

23 Then Jesus said to the crowds and to his disciples, 2 “The teachers of religious law and the Pharisees are the official interpreters of the law of Moses. 3 So practice and obey whatever they tell you, but don’t follow their example. For they don’t practice what they teach. 4 They crush people with unbearable religious demands and never lift a finger to ease the burden.

5 “Everything they do is for show. On their arms they wear extra wide prayer boxes with Scripture verses inside, and they wear robes with extra long tassels. 6 And they love to sit at the head table at banquets and in the seats of honor in the synagogues. 7 They love to receive respectful greetings as they walk in the marketplaces, and to be called ‘Rabbi.’

>non-denominational

prods schismed so hard they JUST

>So practice and obey whatever they tell you
You making my job easy as fuck user;.

Plugging the only good Catholicism discord server here that is free from fag-lovers

discord.gg/A47yfGB