Redpill me on Greek mithologia

redpill me on Greek mithologia

greek gods are not omnipotent

But his assumption that they would be says a lot about the roach

It's about sons surpassing their fathers and the futulity of the father's efforts to supress them in fear of no longer being the greatest in the family. And other shit sprinkled in.

A whole lot of fucking incest

Mы пpихoдим, тapaкaнa.

In the beginning there was Chaos. Chaos generated Erebus (darkness) and his sister Nix (night) and Tartarus (underworld) from mitosis, as replications of himself. In a more esoteric way, he birthed Gaia (mother earth) and eros (love). As evident, you will notice that the most of the primordial divinities were anthropological representations of realms of existence. But now we have the first generation of deities, the primordial ones.
Gaia self fecunded herself and gave birth to Uranus, the sky. Together, they would have 12 children, the second generation of gods, called the Titans. But a prophecy alerted Uranus that one of his children would dethrone him. Fearing defeat,Uranus betrayed Gaia. Every night he would push is unborn children deeper into her womb, avoiding labour and causing her extreme pain. Tired of the martyrdom, Gaia conspired with her youngest son, Cronus. She forged a blade from her own breast and gave it to her son. The next time Uranus attempted to have coitus with his wife, his unborn son castrated his manhood and tossed it into the sea. The mixture of semen and water created a foam from which arose Afrodite, Goddess of love. Cronus usurped his father's place as ruler, and Uranus cursed him, saying that he was destined to suffer from the same fate: defeat by the hands of his youngest son.
Cronus married his sister Rhea. Together they would have six children. Hades, Hestia, Poseidon, Demeter, Hera, and finally Zeus. Fearing his father's words, Cronus decided to repeat the cycle of filicide. But he did it in a more brutal fashion. He would eat his newly born children, one after one. Rhea, with the help of Gaia who condemned her son mistake, tried to save the life of her last son, Zeus, giving him to the cares of Gaia. To Cronus, she gave a rock, the Omphalos stone, to be eaten in the place of the baby. Cronus suspected nothing.
Zeus would grow and come back in aid of his swallowed brethren and start ths great 10 years war of titanomachy.

Yours is a slightly different version from Hesiod. Particularly Uranus pushing Gaia's children back into her womb (as opposed to Tartarus) and the stone which Rhea gave Cronus to eat being the omphalos stone, the navel of the world... I like it. Where did you get those?

The Greeks took influences from different regions and applied it to their gods, or invented new gods that replaced the old. Dionysus replaced hestia, hermes basically replaced iris.

>Cronus married his sister Rhea.
Hot!

>Together they would have six children. Hades, Hestia, Poseidon, Demeter, Hera, and finally Zeus.
Wait, Zeus and Hera are siblings? For some reason, I don't find it hot here.

There's a bit of wincest going on in Greek myth.

What a nice culture you have there.

Would be a shame if someone came along and...Christianized it.

A real shame that Greeks didn't really have organized religion and a real priest class.

Were greeks inbred before mythology, or did mythology leed to greeks being inbred. Quite the pickle.

Incest.
Rape.
Cannibalism

Many cultures practiced some degree or another of incest, especially among high or noble elements. It was not at all uncommon, for example, for the Pharaohs of Egypt to marry their siblings. Most all the royal families of Europe, too, became increasingly inter-related until most marriages to others of the same class were also marriages to first or second cousins. That's why there were so many serious genetic diseases among the royals. Ever hear the term blue blood?? Ultimately, the answer to your question is that the Gods, in order to reproduce other gods, had little choice. Who else would Zeus have wed? His choices were pretty much his sister or... It's not unlike the biblical stories of Adam and Eve and of Noah and the flood. If Adam and Eve were the first people, and Eve was created out of Adam's rib, then they were even more closely genetically linked than siblings, right? And their children had nobody else to marry except their siblings. The same is true with Noah. If the flood wiped out everyone in the world, then there were only eight humans left. Noah, his wife, and their children and their children's spouses. That means ever generation from then on had to marry and make children with cousins, at the best. The biological reason to avoid incest is to prevent the reinforcement of certain genes which may cause disease or birth defect. However, if you look back into history, I think you'll find that there was a less clear understanding of what we now call genetics, and there was also much, much higher infant mortality rates, so that many defective children (I mean that in the genetic sense, not that any child, no matter what is defective as a human being) never lived past their first year anyway.

Greek authors wrote down a bunch of stories and tried to create a canon, and they had priests who promoted the worship of gods like Zeus, Poseidon etc.

Folk religion though was probably borderline Animism. People believed all kind of things (rivers, forests, meadows) have spirits or gods and they tried to gain their favors via sacrifices.

Even in written down myth it is sometimes unclear if they are talking about a thing or concept or a person. Like, Hades can mean the god, but also death or the underworld. Same goes for all kind of river and sea gods.

Did the common man sacrifice? I thought I read some where that only the rich/important people had the means.

Greek sacrifices were more like feasts, really. The gods conveniently didn't like meat, only organs that were inedible for humans. They sometimes burned all of the sacrificial animal (holocaustos) but that was quite rare.

You could also sacrifice other things, such as small amounts of wine.

The myth behind the inedible parts is basically Zeus getting tricked. So the poor man sacrificed something very meager while the rich had to go all out?

Or they are concept linked to each other which is why they have sex with each other to give birth to other concept and you are a stupid fuck

gay sex and cannibalism

It's in Hesiod. Prometheus cucks Zeus into accepting only the bones and giving all the good parts to humans.

Prometheus was always such an ass to Zeus. He should of seen his punishment coming for pranking the king of gods.

I read somewhere that he was liberated somehow later. Something involving a woman turned bull and getting constantly harassed by a fly but I can't remember the particulars.

>redpill
Goddamn /pol/ crossborders.

Maybe he's just referencing The Matrix.

Dude liked humans. Fuck zeus.

How were these myths and myths of cities created? For example, did the elders of Athens sit around during and say hey we don't really have a founding myth, and then create one?

We will never know. They are certainly older than the city states though.