That moment when everything you spent your entire life to achieve is over

>That moment when everything you spent your entire life to achieve is over.

fuck traitors

Napoleon III is much more tragic in this sense

and I fucking hate the frogs

fuck yankees

>when they call it the last gentleman's war, marked by a respect for your adversary and a willingness to rejoin them as countrymen once again
>when you then consider all Confederate dead veterans and give them all the same monuments and ceremony as your own, because the whole reason you fought was because these were your brothers and you fought because you loved them, not because you hate them

>and then about 150 years later they start vandalizing and tearing down your monuments and flags and graves, and it's only a point of vindictivness in discussion, with the only discussion of that of hatred
I don't want this feel

150 years isn't too late to correct their mistake :^)

>hating

whats wrong with you

I'm just glad that after that Dylan Roof fiasco, my city still has some of it's memorials.

How many battle flags do you have on your pickup?

Just one folded flag in my house, my asshurt friend

Just one? How can you say you really have southern pride if your busted down pickup doesn't at least have a confederate flag plate cover?

>Sir, if you ever presume again to speak disrespectfully of General Grant in my presence, either you or I will sever his connection with this university.

How could one man be so based?

I wouldnt say they were working their entire lives for that though

The hatred between north and south today is bizarre as an outsider. You two clearly have different values and hate each others guts you should just break the country up along the county lines of who voted for Trump v Clinton and call it a day. I know that is fairly retarded and far-fetched but its so clear nobody wants to share a country

He'd prolly kill himself watching Willy fuck it all up.

>other more civilized countries get over their civil wars in couple decades
>150 years and counting and yanks are still butthurt that someone dared to do them what they done to the brits

>that moment when you get hit after chatting shit

>Lee general of Confederate Army for like 4 years
>"whole life"

He was certainly a vile racist his whole life and he certainly spent his whole life supporting the savage and inhumane culture of the South, and the South got their ass ripped up, with him in charge, so it sounds like he lost.

Other countries didn't let the losers take leadership almost immediately afterwards. You could argue the entire clusterfuck is a result of Andrew Johnson. Not only would Lincoln have handled the reconstruction better, radical republican-led reconstruction would have been better as well.

Protip: nobody gave a fuck about racism back then.

Tell me about it

Reading about this scene makes it sound like an absolutely perfect understated conclusion to a war movie.

Has it ever been put to film?

This guy is so interesting.

Anyone can recommend some reading on him and what he achieved?

>It's fairly retarded
You're right.

>vile racist
bait

"I hate Krauts who disagree with me but I hate other countries even more" - Otto von Bismarck

who?

Are you seriously ignoring the Dixie butthurt with Muh "south will rise again!" shit? I means the liberals might be retarded but let's not pretend southerners are very sore losers

Doubtlessly, it is however made more justified with almost every passing day.

I mean ffs, gangs of unopposed negroes running around attacking law enforcement and desecrating civil war memorials is EXACTLY what their nightmares are.

After decades of treating them much worse than northerners with Jim Crow laws and be willing to turn politics into identity politics when they get equal rights, what do you expect? Hugs and kisses?

Reminder that Lee is only American general to ever surrender.

Jim Crow, faggot. If I was a nigger I would be fucking pissed too.

>only an American can defeat an American
Truly we are unstoppable

In 2017, being perpetrated by folks so young to have never experienced Jim Crow, my understanding wears thin.

I am a bleeding heart for those of the era of MLK and Malcolm X, but today's BLM has a very shaky position for their grievances.

I won't defend BLM but their loathing civil war history and statues is justified, especially when the Dixie whites with Muh south will rise are too young to live in or even remember the Confederacy

>>only an American can defeat an American
AHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAH

I think the big difference lies between vandalizing a statue for politicians (like Jefferson Davis) over that of war veterans ('Our Confederate Dead', Robert E Lee).
Displeasure with the political romanticism of the era I understand, but disrespecting the war dead is really fucked.

Sure their actions were misguided but white southerners can't claim the high ground either when they constantly reminisce about the confederacy and would not compromise on the confederate flag issue

Correction: a *few* southerners can't claim the moral high ground

What sort of compromise should have been made? Blaming the Dylan Roof tragedy on the fucking flag was stupid beyond belief, that flag is simple culture to most people, and making that the effort of your struggles is going to only alienate people from your cause, what a stupid fucking crusade.

Lee was strongly against secession before Virginia decided to secede.

Eseentially he defended two institutions he despised, all because of "muh home state" sentimentality.

Taking down the flag? It was and still is a symbol of black oppression and the compromise would have been a symbolic gesture for repairing racial relationships.

IMO anyone unironically flying the confederate flag and into remanets of the confederate culture don't deserve the high ground

Out of curiosity, where are you from?
Most of the South views the flag as simply a symbol of Southern pride.

>vile racist
>all Confederates were racist

Nice third grade level history user.

What else did Blue's Clues teach you?

The problem is, I think, that we can't today see the war from the perspective of those who lived through it.
"Never did men fight so bravely for a worse cause." - Ulysses Grant in his Memoirs.
"With malice toward none and charity for all"
- Abraham Lincoln
Let us hope that future generations do not judge us as we judge those of the past, who can't defend themselves by reason of being dead.

I've lived in Pensacola, the flag means more than just southern pride. Even if someone did believe it was just that, it represents more to a lot of people.

What do you make of people in say Michigan who fly the rebel flag?

Fucking south will rise again wannabe faggot

>people in say Michigan who fly the rebel flag
They are retards. Some rednecks do it here in Ohio too which is downright absurd considering Ohio tore the South a new one during the war.

>that eternity everything you have spent your entire life loving erodes before your eyes.
A feel I know, worst part is you cannot be with what you have left without fearing the grief to come. John was lucky to live when he did, now a days a passion like his is condemnation to living with eternal loss and an obligation to keep yourself around to deal with it.

If the flag holds different meaning for different people, then shouldn't it be up to the individual? I mean, the Stars and Stripes could also be recognized as a symbol of hate, should one not be allowed to fly it on his property because there are those who disagree with what it represents to him? In the end, it's just a piece of cloth, if you get assmad about a piece of cloth, you have too much free time on your hands.

I have a confederate flag right above me, yankees suck it!

Fly it all you want, just don't bullshit about what it means.

howdy

Chat shit get banged.

It's even worse in Alberta. Literal Canadians flying the reb flag just makes me cringe.

I'm from Minnesota though, and luckily you don't see rebel flags that much. Minnesota absolutely BTFO the south in the war so I'm glad I rarely see it.

Charlemagne was germanic though, the francs were germanic

I mean yeah they should have the right to fly the flag, but people also have the right to call them out on it.

>I mean, the Stars and Stripes could also be recognized as a symbol of hate

Well the flag has more history surrounding it than JUST a couple years of rebellion and those fighting for slavery.

>I mean yeah they should have the right to fly the flag, but people also have the right to call them out on it.

This discussion isn't about calling people out on anything. This is about iconoclasm driven by a misplaced sense of self-righteousness. If the left had the decency to bitch and move on that would be fine.

Is your 2nd cousin also your sister and wife then?

This is horeshit but I'll still reply, Lee was the first Confederate general to surrender you retard.

>tfw don't really have a strong opinion about the civil war
>tfw find old flags aesthetic as fuck but talking about/using them makes people raise their eyebrows

I-I just think they look cool.

If a flag that was literally used to promote a government in which one of its core principles was that of racial hatred represents "southern pride", then what does that say about southern pride?