Architecture thread

Post yer buildings.

Other urls found in this thread:

dahp.wa.gov/learn-and-research/architectural-style-guide
antiquehomestyle.com/styles/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

ARTIC Transit Station, Anaheim, California

City Central Library, San Diego, California

These very open public buildings, ribbed by steel, are in style. And I love them.

Do bridges count? Praha is my cityfu.

The Transbay Transit Center, San Francisco, California

Currently under construction, along with a new skyscraper. These designs are intended to have lots of moving air in the building, lots of bubbles and openings from the main areas into the big spaces.

I have no idea what this style is called and who else is doing it, but it is /arch/ as fuck

nice OP keep it coming

I didn't even know that my thread had any posts in it until I checked it just now. Anyway, these are my top ten styles for US commercial buildings in chronological order:
>Italianate
>Richardsonian Romanesque
>Collegiate Gothic
>Italian Renaissance
>International
>Mid-Century Contemporary
>New Formalism
>subdued examples of Brutalism that just look like normal buildings as opposed to desolate-looking, unpainted abominations
>Shed
>properly-executed New Traditional and Postmodern styles

>Shingle nowhere

I'm pretty disappointed in you. Shingle is GOAT-tier.

The George Lucas Poetry Museum, designed by some Ching Chong firm and crammed into the architectural waste that is Expo Park.

It's a spaceship, get it? Do you get it? Isn't that clever? Get it? Cause George Lucas made E.T. so they made his meme museum into a meme.

I'm not even mad, Expo Park will rot with no coherent plan as it has for decades and Shittown will be Frank Gehry's cumrag for decades.

All the more reason to abandon LA and rebuild it with an actual plan in mind somewhere East.

>tfw will never build an entire city to your standards

>tfw some religious nutcase gets too much power and is allowed to plan a new city but then that city becomes an actual city and not a new religious center and so you have to try to make it livable even though the blocks are like a fucking mile long and the streets are impossible to walk across

A house in Milan, can name the exact style, but I love the Tall&Narrow stuff.

What city are you talking about?

HNGGGGGGGGGG

This makes me HNGGG as well

MODERNISTS SHOULD BE SHOT

LOOK AT THIS PERFECTION

nah. frames are too heavy here. it looks like a cage. with this amount of usage of transparent material, its really hard to give the gloominess. but that guy somehow managed to do that.

Sorry for being sixteen hours late, but I've lived in the Jackson Purchase region of Kentucky for my entire life, and Shingle-style buildings can't really be found anywhere except the Northeast of the country, so I can't relate to the style enough to "understand" it.

Daily reminder the only reason modern architecture looks soulless is because it is made of metal while past architecture was composed of various types of stone.

But Shed and Brutalism have enough presence in poor-ass Kentucky to let you get familiar?

What's your method of envisioning your own ideal city? I just list all architectural styles that make sense to exist within the area of the country that the city (or town) would be in, and then next to each style, list all of the buildings that would be in that style.

Its not the materials, its the purpose, modernism is about utility, not beauty.

I KNOW THIS PAIN SO WELL.

Not him but my city would look like the one from that world fair, i love the city beautiful movement, an entire city in neo-classical style, with wide open spaces, geometrical pattern, trees, parks, museums, with 3-4 stories maximum height for buildings, churches, monuments, stadiums, like the old wembley or the german olympic stadium.

Examples like these.

I ALSO LOVE PENTAGONS, STAR FORTS AND SYMMETRY, WHY MUST I BE DENIED? JUST LOOK AT IT PEASANTS

Shed and Brutalism are common styles everywhere in the country. Also, the kind of Brutalism I'm referring to is the subdued and generally-orthodox variant that you can see in pic related. I wish there was just a completely separate name for this form of the style.

Here's a color picture of the same building.

Salt Lake City

Each block is 660ft (201m) long.

Each street is 140ft (40m) wide.

Fuck symmetry lmao

Fuck roofs lmao

Tokyo Gate Bridge

Some say she's a utilitarian monster but I think she's like a perfectly fitted puzzle piece

What does Veeky Forums think about this little Georgian/Jeffersonian-inspired service station I just made in MS Paint? It's essentially a typical International-style building with a Colonial facade.

I think you should invest in some architectural drafting lessons and a copy of Sketchup.

I didn't want to spend a thousand years in Sketchup just to whip up a basic rough draft of an already-simple building. All I had in mind when I made it was those illustrations in the Field Guide to American Houses.

Nah senpai, get some software, you'll enjoy it.

I already do.

How can I learn more about archictecture? Can you guys recommend me some books/websites/videos? Any style or subject is fine for me.
Thank you, please respond.

any particular style user?

Websites:
>Wikipedia
>architecturestyles.org
>dahp.wa.gov/learn-and-research/architectural-style-guide
>antiquehomestyle.com/styles/

Books:
>A Field Guide to American Houses

That's just for American architecture.

The proportions aren't accurate in the slightest and it looks like it came from a PS1 game, but I did actually make a basic model of the building on Sketchup.

Do you plan on having roof goats or something?

Yes.

Seems like the sort of thing you'd only add to a building if you had a free supply of basic laborers and couldn't think of something for them to do.

It just sort of hides the shape of the roof for no reason.

I'm still mad they're giving public land to this project for nothing. Why should I forsake public land to a billionaire who could otherwise afford it, so he can build a museum to himself and charge admission for a profit?

Its being built on a parking lot, but point taken. I don't know if they are going to bother building a parking garage, since those lots are where everyone parks to do anything at Expo, but knowing L.A., they won't and it will be fucked even more.

how memed is this here

A E S T H E T I C

Honestly, UCSD and all those institutes are the pinnacle of Brutalism. Nowhere else has it ever been so easy on the eye and well designed.

Okay I didn't really want to spam this thread and make it a California Architecture thread, but we're sort of blowing up out here with all sorts of new architecture, it kind of seems like where things are happening artistically, so I'm just gonna go with it.

Sundial Bridge, Redding

did somebody say brutalism?

Wilshire Grand Center, the tallest building West of the Mississippi, set to open in March.

The new skyline

also at night

The hotel entrance is Gehry shit though

No matter, its all about dat skyline aesthetic when it comes to towers imho

Its a giant goddamn mirror though in certain spots of downtown

I like it. Windows are bourgeois capitalist lies anyway

Hotel Rosslyn Annex (1923)and the Security Building(1906), L.A.

who /art nouveau/ here?

The Rosslyn Twins

Old Rosslyn

>2017
>having readily available public streetcars powered by the wonder of electricity

Neon is /arch/

Seriously though look at all those fucking streetcars.

Fuck you, Standard Oil

The Eastern Colombia

Fully erect cuz dat aquamarine

Symmetry isn't what's important; harmony is.

Wonderful in ink and oil, not so much in architecture. It's like half-assed Baroque.

Before commies

After commies. Apparently they really hate nice buildings

>art nouveau
>half-assed Baroque
u wot m8

new one looks good, it's just in a bad state

Google Skopje, before and after earthquake

vast improvement tbqh

ain't she beautiful boys?

much better than the discount neoclassical shit that the current Macedonian government are quite literally smearing over their own capital city

absolutely disgusting

>tfw to stupid to know why someone would apply musical terms to architecture in order to disguise the fact a building is ugly and poorly designed