Read about the Roman campaigns in central Europe

>Read about the Roman campaigns in central Europe.
>Swamps.
>Swamps everywhere.

What the fuck? Is Yurop really that full of swamps? Or did someone drain them all a few centuries ago?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archimedes'_screw
nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poldermolen
nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polder
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polder
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>Or did someone drain them all a few centuries ago?
Yes

Climate was much much different back then.

This is how the Netherlands worked their swamps around 1500-1700 I'm sure central europe drained their land in much the same way

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archimedes'_screw

If you want to look at some pictures try these wiki links
Sorry for the dutch, can't find an english equivalent.

nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poldermolen
nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polder

>polder
translates to the man-made land you'd end up with after working lakes and swaps

>nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polder
oh wait, look at this one instead. it has links to central europe too.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polder

Your welcome, rest of europe.

only meant illustrate how you'd do it in that time period.

Yes, it used to be full of swamps and forests much bigger than seen today. Eventually they were removed in medieval and later times

Here's a map of Anglo-Saxon England, just go give you an idea of how big the swamps were back then

Your welcome, you ungrateful cunt

The entire history of the german and slav people is devoted to how they cleaned the freaking swamps for over 1000y. The same applies to the brits.

Beautiful.

It continuously seals my lion when historical maps use modern coastlines and rivers.

>1357
>Not building your castle on a swamp

The name "Berlin" comes from a Slavic word for swamp.

Yeah it was only what Frederik the Great who drained the swamps of Brandenburg.

>NAP

Even central Italy is home to large swamps. The Pontine Marshes are relatively close to Rome and have been a haven for disease that since the times of Caeser. Benito Mussolini eventually drained the swamps [insert Trump reference]

>nap

Normaal Amsterdams Peil.

It roughly corresponds to sea level.

So Trump isn't the first one to drain the swamp

>LEEGHT DEN DRASLAND
>SINO LEIDT ONS OM DEN TUIN IN DEN HANDSNIJVERHEID
>WIJ GAAN ENEN MUUR BOUWEN EN SPANIEN GAAT DEN REKENING BETALEN

wait a second. WAIT a second.
The famous mills of the Netherlands are used to drain water ?

>German and slav people
Not all. The Swissdeutsch live in the mountains, so do the Slovaks and the Serbs/Montenegrins.

I know right?
In retrospect it's obvious as fuck, but it genuinely never occurred to me.

What you thought was the reason why Dutch went and filled their country with wind mills then?

ok I finished reading the full french page on windmills (larger than the english one).
I love windmills now.
So much research to optimize the system, so much regional partcularities.
Thanks

>Europe drained all its swamps
>Europe cut down all its forests
>Now if we try to drain our swamps to build waterways, or cut down forests to raise plantations and ranchs, European foundations NGOs will prevent us because "muh environment" and "muh endangered species"

Just because you got developed, don't try to prevent others from developing. That's a dickish thing to do.

swamp draining was a big undertaking from the 18th century onward and it accelerated as the technology for steam pumps advanced. One of Mussolini's accomplishments was draining a swamp. they caused malaria and when drained could be used for farmland, so it was a win-win. ecologically probably not the greatest thing though

>tfw to late to develop

the netherlands had something of a windmill revolution in the late 16th and 17th centuries. it wasn't only just used to drain swampland or reclaim land from the sea; it was used for grinding wheat and powering sawmills, which was super important for the shipbuilding industry was a central component the united province's economic power. I think it was used for textiles as well but i can't be too sure

Just look at this beauty. We could make another Mississipi River Basin with modern agricultural technologies with all these natural waterways, but they will never let us, because of fucking jaguars and plants.

I sincerely believe environmentalism was invented by developed countries to stop poor countries from developing and competing with them.

>Tfw the area you used to live in used to be a horrible impenetrable swamp and is now productive farmland

Feels comfy af, although nobody told the weather that we're not a swamp anymore, so we still have terrible floods occasionally.

>environmentalism was invented by developed to stop poor countries from competing with them
That... actually makes sense. It's easy to extol the virtues of environmentalism when you live in a country where it's already been developed and you merely take a day trip to nature as opposed to actually living in it

I understand where you're coming from, but it's also a question of sacrificing short-term economic gain at the cost of environmental and cultural heritage. Its not like you can't profit off of your environment through ecotourism.

>I understand where you're coming from, but it's also a question of sacrificing short-term economic gain at the cost of environmental and cultural heritage. Its not like you can't profit off of your environment through ecotourism.

It's long-term, too. Any short-term sacrifice for protecting the environment means more foreign MNCs and NGOs coming in to fuck with your people. Economic power is still king.

Environmental damage is overrated. Was Europe damaged by the swamp draining and deforestation? According to this guy, the worst they face is periodic floods And ecotourism is a meme. You can't sustain dozens of millions of people with ecotourism.

look at the huge developmental projects in the third world though, they had awful ecological implications, especially a lot of dams constructed during the mania for it after world war 2. aswam dam cause a load of problems and nobody predicted its silting up. soviet developmental projects in siberia and east asia were also atrocious for the people living there

yes i realized after that i was spouting a meme

>Was Europe damaged by the swamp draining and deforestation?
thats anecdotal though. in a third world country with poor infrastructure and rougher geography deforesting mountains has bad effects (see: haiti or even canary islands). i guess its all well and good economically until some huge disaster strikes.

Serves you niggers right for not industrializing when you had a chance.

to mill
wheat and such for bread

No, they were used to make the wind that pollinated all the tulips.

Fuck you. We would rather have the benefits of ecotourism and biochemical discoveries than whatever you hues want to do with it.

>Was Europe damaged by the swamp draining and deforestation?
Swamp-draining, yes, since not only were the swamps drained (which is positive), but even most wetlands, which are very important to the ecosystem.
Add the unanticipated effects of canals to that, too.

> the worst they face is periodic floods
Those floods were historically extremely damaging, and they still are to a lesser extent damaging, even despite modern dam technology, watergates, etc., because people never want to invest into the future when it's about huge damages that occur irregularly.

>there are no swamps in the mountains

They built the Deltawerken in the Netherlands, basically a series of dams to stop the sea the next time it decides to come drown us all.

kekerino neighbor

>they
>us
So are you Dutch or not.

I didn't build it, user.

Nah we just want to turn the rest of the world into one big nature reserve till then you faggots have to take care of it.

Trump III The Great drained all the european senate swamps

Literally jungle, as opposed to farmland and civillisation.

>MFW modern 1st worlder are against industrialization in poor countries because they care more about animals than people.

And because we don't like competition. Look how the US is reacting to the Chinese ascent, now imagine mini-Chinas in SA and Africa.

Lets be honest here, jaguars and weird jungle plants are more valuable than brs.