Charlottesville, VA moves to tear down Robert E. Lee statue

theamericanmirror.com/charlottesville-va-moves-tear-robert-e-lee-statue-rename-park/

>The Charlottesville City Council is expected to vote to remove a statue of Robert E. Lee and rename the park after a vote last month ended in a tie.

>Councilman Bob Fenwick, who abstained from voting on the measure during a Jan. 17 meeting, told The Caviler Daily he now plans to vote to remove the statue and rename Lee Park at the Virginia council’s meeting today.

Who /triggered/ here?

Not me.

Personally I've always wondered why you guys glorify your rebels.

In my country we fucking genocided them and shat on their names.

>fuckers start and lose a civil war killing hundreds of thousands of Amerians
>celebrate them with statue and shit
I hope they name it the Rosa Parks Park just to see how many retards it would trigger.

>nation founded upon rebellion
>faggots get mad other people in the nation rebel

Northerners are retarded. The Americans at the time of the civil war became brothers again but I guess that doesn't matter since most Americans today are descendants of immigrants that entered the nation after the conflict was over.

>having a statue to a traitor, racist, and a loser

Kek, get it together Bumpkins

Would love to see the video, ala Iraq, of a few Rascal scooters tearing it down to a small, uninterested crowd

why are liberals so determined to change and erase history? whats their endgame?

t. yankee

We (stupidly) allowrd the Hebrephilic faux aristocratic elite rebuild after slavery under the pretense of healing. It backfired stupidly because they yet again went about cuckolding the other 95% of the southerners and re-enslaving niggers in all but name. Our fault for not just hanging every Democrat after the Civil War, I guess.

I mean it's hilarious watching southerners chimp out in defense of a man who wanted their ancestors to be poor dirt farmers driven off their land due to being unable to compete with slavery's cheap labor, but it stopped being tolerable years ago.

It's a dumb statue and no one really cares about it. t. lived in Charlottesville for 4 years and had friends there fore 10+.

Marginalization and eventual elimination of White Americans.

>genociding your own bloodlines
thats why your country is a shitheap

Lee was for reconciliation.

He said "Go home and be good citizens."

So the signal sent by this is to NOT be good citizens and continue to rebel because they are pulling down the memory of reconciliation.

Good. He's a traitor. He fought a war against his own fucking country.

>his own fucking country
>fought for the side that his home state virginia was part of

Would you really hold more loyalty to your federal government or your direct family and community?

Seriously.

How much of a huge disgusting piece of shit would you have to be to join an army that is about to invade your own fucking home?

You mean a hero defended their homeland against aggressive tyrants who devastated the southern economy and would kill hundreds of thousands.

They're testing the waters with Confederate monuments. They'll move on to US monuments later.

Just like the founding fathers!

>one of the greatest generals of the 19th century
>renamed after some communist bitch whose greatest merit was sitting on a wrong bus seat
>LE TRIGGERED xD
Go back please. And I'm not even a southerner.

>implying

Well, firstly, the colonies connection and loyalty to the crown was a matter of legal debate at the time.

Secondly, a great deal didn't wish for independence. George III didn't realize this however and believed it to be a rebellion for independence from the beginning so when the colonies sent the olive branch petition he refused to read it and forced it to be a war of independence.

>the colonies connection and loyalty to the crown was a matter of legal debate at the time.

So was secession you dingleberry. New England threatened it during the war of 1812 and only stopped because the war ended.

I can never understand where a government founded by rebel slave owners find the moral high ground to complain about rebel slave owners. The civil war was about power plain and simple, Sherman said it best.

Humans have a habit of glorifying their most famous warriors since tribal times, in the 1800s we call these warriors "soldiers".

I don't understand how more people don't see this. If the Confederate flag is wrong because it's a symbol of slavery, than the American flag is even more wrong because it's a symbol of slavery, the displacement of native Americans, Jim Crow laws, and a thousand other leftwing bugaboos.

They've already protested Jackson, TR, Wilson, and Jefferson. This is just the beginning. Honestly y'all deserve it, I'm tired of Northern liberals' constant virtue signalling.

>"Huh?!?! New York City has the worst racial segregation in the nation? Well South Carolina still flies the Confederate flag!!!!"

But why? It's a nice monument. It would make the park just look boring and shit.

The park would look nicer without it. Charlottesville is already a pretty and historic town. It doesn't benefit from an ugly 20th century lawn ornament.

A lot of folks like the aesthetic provided by bronze military monuments. There's a certain regality to it.

Of course the city council is removing it because they hate their ancestors and their history, which is rather less acceptable than removing it for aesthetic reasons.

From my point of view, the Republic is evil.

>why are liberals so determined to change and erase history?

Nobody is erasing history, they're just deciding not to celebrate parts of it. I don't agree with it, but you should not misrepresent what they're doing.

>we're not erasing history we're just pretending it it never happened!
Yes I see....

How can you build an inclusive society when the state publicly displayes statues dedicated to people who fought to keep slavery going and wanted to destroy the United States of America.

We're supposed to learn from our mistakes not glorify those who made them.

>removing statues isn't erasing history
hmmm, guess those egyptian pharoahs weren't trying to erase their enemies from history when they defaced their statues and erased their names

>taking down a gaudy statue is the same as denying said events happened
What did he mean by this?

And how are we supposed to learn by striking the lessons from the record.

t. Tyrone Johnson
This.
The American South defined American "Culture" because it was purely American
>inb4 other influences
All cultures were influenced by pre-existing or proto-cultures.
But Southern Culture was distinctly American in that its rise was American, it wasn't imported from anywhere and cant be found anywhere else.
It's not the only type of American Culture, but it was one of the few, purely American cultures.
The Wild West extended into Mexico and New England influenced Canada and the Yukon.
The desecration of Pure Americanism.

>tfw live in Charlottesville

You have to understand, this place is like the Berkeley of the East Coast.

I thought Austin was the Berkeley of the South

>. t. lived in Charlottesville for 4 years

why would you think this makes your opinion more valuable?

Austin is another good comparison.

I live in an island of deep blue in an ocean of red.

Whatever they do to Lee Park, it can't be worse than all the Occupy people camping out there in tents.

>i cant make an argument so ill just pretend ur tyrone xD

Honestly? Robert E Lee was a good boy. He didn't do anything.

How can you build an inclusive society when certain aspects of that society are not allowed to be included?

The goal isn't actually to build "an inclusive society" but in fact to deemphasize the European cultural and historical aspects of America. This is what they mean when they say "End White Supremacy".

Not the abolition of bugaboo skinheads and the KKK but undermining and destroying the idea that white people deserve to have social, cultural, or political power in their own nations, and more to the point to destroy the idea of white nations in the first place.

Who is pretending it didn't happen?

Do you seriously think that's comparable?

Really, guys, if you have to pretend they're doing something they're not in order to argue against it, you're just looking for reasons to get triggered. Just shut the fuck up.

It's not exactly a complicated sentence bro, work it for yourself.

It is a perplexing thought at least.

>by striking the lessons from the record.

Not doing that. Grow up.

>tfw my sister, who didn't even vote in the presidential election, marched around the UVA campus in show of solidarity with the Women's March and signed numerous petitions supporting this
American politics has been hijacked by 19 year-old idiots.

No it's pretty simple actually.
This guy got it.

you know what needs to be done

>Don't you get it? It's different when WE pull down the statues of historical figures we dislike!

Complaining about elections that you didn't vote in should be punishable desu.

>Was well respected by both sides of the war.
>Showed great military leadership despite being hindered by an uncooperative government.
>Made a difficult choice, but was his choice to make and accepted full responsibility for that choice, i.e. a true American.
>Surrendered rather than partake in guerilla warfare.
>Worked to mend the wounds of the nation afterwards.
>Protected the black students at his college.

Yeah, what a monster.

Well do you see the historical reasons for this? These selfsame white people have raped, pillaged, enslaved and generally fucked up every person they came in contact with.
The general consensus around the world is you blew your chance. You can't build societies on the blood of others and not expect eventual backlash.

and thats whats going on now.

>Tearing down an old statue in the US because he's a traitor is the same as ancient egyptian pharaohs going to war with one another and trying to erase eachother's greatness from the kingdom's records
really makes u think....

> the only way anybody would ever know about him was from that statue

get a fucking CLUE, homie

To add on to this user, I actually don't want the statue torn down. I think it's pretty awful to tear down old monuments because of new ideas. But saying it's denying the past and erasing history is a bit of an exaggeration.

>raped, pillaged, enslaved and generally fucked up every person they came in contact with.
Stop being Islamophobic user.

Im talking about white Europeans.

You know, the guys who started the Crusades and hit the hornet's nest of Islam with a big stick?

Who are you to call him a traitor exactly when you betray the cultural reconciliation established by the actual people he fought against?

Funny how you're more offended by him than the people who actually fought against him.

lol

Yeah, they should take down all the monuments dedicated to the defenders of the "Peculiar Institution"!

0/10

I noticed how responded for "everyone" :^)

You have to go back.

what? have i said something incorrect or are you just unable and unwilling to accept the truth?

No wait let me guess... jews concocted the Crusades

see
I do admit I'm using traitor as a sort of exaggeration. I'm just trying to say that some of the comparisons in this thread are a a little ridiculous.

ITT: people whose arguments have been torn to shreds

What are you trying to say? Different from what? Use your words.

>. But saying it's denying the past and erasing history is a bit of an exaggeration.

Not in the slightest.
It's literally a manifestation of someone who was once granted an honored status in a people's history being stripped of that status by a later people intent on removing the physical representations of the historiography of those that came before them.

user, why do you think everyone's black?

>There's a certain regality to it.
There's no regality to it. It's lawn ornament. It's not historic any more than a blow up santa at the fashion square mall.

>use your words
Use your reading comprehension
:^)

Cultural vandal detected.

>person who has actually seen the park and the statue, and how people interact (or not notice it)
>vs jackoffs on the internet
Gee I wonder why

>Cultural
It's has practically zero cultural value. It's not even capable of being kitsch as it's not ugly or funny enough.

Just because he supported ideas we frown upon nowadays doesn't mean he doesn't deserve a statue. You're glorifying his positive characteristics, not his bad ones

>he doesn't deserve a statue.
If he deserves a statute, then commission a scultor to make one that dignifies whatever memory the state has of him. The one at Cville is a fucking joke.

>you will never again be a 14 year old smoking a bowl in McGuffey Park

why am I even alive

>the american civil war has no cultural value to the united states of america

You do realize the statue is not from the civil war-era, right?

>no cultural value
Of course you think that, you're an anti-white leftist who doesn't value white culture.
:3

good, fuck the traitorous war criminal.

And the MLK memorial in DC is not from the civil rights era, guess it has no cultural value and should be torn down right?

forgot pic

What does that have to do with anything, retard?

Mm. I want to believe it's a misguided attempt at doing the right thing. Lee doesn't deserve to have his statue torn down.

Nor does he deserve to have a statue. He was a shitty general who accomplished nothing militarily and whose most notable achievement was leading an army of traitors.

>claims a statue lacks cultural value because it wasn't constructed in the era of the subject it depicts
>doesn't understand how a statue of a civil rights era figure erected in 2011 is relevant to the discussion
Sad!

Obviously. I assume during the civil war itself you had more important shit to do than erect statues of the main characters.
The statue represents a fucking important figure to US history and tearing it down to pander to whining professional victims is pathetic.

t. retard

Traitor or not, the statue has been there for decades. It's a nice looking little piece of history and it doesn't really do any harm to leave it up.

>claims a statue has cultural value because the figure it depicts is from a historically significant era
>doesn't understand why it's relevant that the statue isn't actually from that historical era
>tries to deflect attention by tossing up a red herring
Sad!

What you want to believe and what the actual driving force motivation behind this movement is, are two very different things.

It doesn't really do any harm to tear it down. It's not any more significant historically than any of the dirty old houses in Charlottesville, many of which are much older than the statue. Only reason anyone could think there is any significance to that statue being torn down is if you use it as a projection screen for some fictional war on whites.

Sorry user, I'm not drawing you a diagram you're just going to have to wallow in your own stupidity until you find your own way out.
Pearls before swine and all that.

>statue of someone from the CSA
>they want to take it down because they think it's racist, and they don't want to be seen as racist
There's not much to it tbqh. Misguided attempt at trying to do what they think is the right thing, when it really isn't.

Oh no, an insignificant shitty statue is getting torn down. ;_;

Lincoln was more of a racist than Lee

Do statues only have significance to you if they are contemporaneous with the person they're depicting?

It costs more to tear it down and assumedly put up a new statue than to leave it up. And no user, I don't believe in the second part of your post.