*gets naked*

*gets naked*

*kills a thread for this*

kek

If SHTF, I'd be getting naked. Unless its cold.

GOOD post

Is this actually true? Why would anyone go to battle naked?

Hope for pity points.

white people are really fucked in the head, holy shit.

I always wondered why germanics were famous for their berserker states when celts literally did the same thing but better

Are you sure this notion exists outside your own head?

I guess a better way to phrase would be I don't know why vikings and whatnot are commonly associated with berserkering and not certain celts who fought naked.

going into battle crazy is one thing, going into battle crazy and naked is another

The celts had their own "berserkers", but they used boar or wolf skins instead of bear. It's pagan totemic tradition, all nations of Europe had it at some point.

Gaulic warrior society was much about bragging during feasts about how fearless and skilled warrior you were. Some simply took the fearless part to the extreme.

Are you saying that if you go back into tribal italy you'll find Italic berserkers wearing spaghetti or something

You will find Velites from Republican Rome.

This. And their individualistic way of fighting was why they got conquered by the Romans and Germanics*.

*: Julius Caesar notes that the Germanic peoples fought in a much more organized fashion than the Gauls. Later during the Marcomannic Wars, we're told by Roman authors that the Marcomanni and perhaps some other Germanic tribes employed Macedonian-style phalanx formations.

The Velites were almost at the very bottom of the legionary social pyramid.

Exactly. They would wear the skins of the local animals(the ones that were big and scary, you know). If there was some kind of spaghetti monster in ancient Italy, they would probably wear its skin.

>The Velites were almost at the very bottom

They were the youngest, not the lowest. Meaning, they were showing off in order to gain fame.

People weren't idiots. Learned over time that wounds with cloth or other material in them would become infected more easily which is why there are so many renditions of germanic tribesmen who couldn't afford mail going into battle shirtless or naked, on top of the psychological effect of an iron age ripped Guy Fieri looking motherfucker wanting to send you to flavor town with a spear to the face.

riastradh didnt involve wolf skins

*starts wearing armor*

*cradle the balls and work the shaft*

queers

This.

>That limp wrist.

My sides.

>They were the youngest, not the lowest. Meaning, they were showing off in order to gain fame.
I don't think you understand the concept of the social pyramid and seniority, especially regarding ancient cultures like that of Rome.

Was that a verb?

>ywn be this martial

why even live

So Celts were basically berserkers.

Because celtic wars were ritualized.

fighting naked =/= berserking

In fact did berserkers ever fight naked? I thought one of the main points of berserking was that you were supposed to wear animal skins.

Celtic shits can fuck off. Stop trying to steal Germanic reputation.

It's getting hot in here
so take off all your clothes

>I am
>getting so hot
> I want to take my clothes off

>mfw these are a actual units in rome total war 1

Looks like your average Warband server

best post

No, just no, the biggest meme reason ever, total bullshit.

They got naked to prove their bravery and some magical belief that it will stop wounds, it occurs today in Africa too.

>Stop trying to steal Germanic reputation.
Why would they want to steal wooden clubs and fire hardened wooden spears and absolutely shit metal work. Now come and buy our swords at extortionate prices you filthy German.

>Velites
>Legionnaires

Velties existed during the Maniple era of Roman Warfare, they pre-date Legions and did not exist after the Marian reforms. Also, they weren't necessarily the youngest, they were just citizens who were two poor to afford much equipment and as such were used as skirmishers since not much equipment was needed for that role. It was the infantry who were organized based on age, in order of youngest to oldest: Hastatii, Principes, and Triarii.

Main point of berserking was going fucking nuts. I assume the idea of a battle fury existed in all tribal European cultures, the German name for it just became the most prevalent.

Only in Ancient Celtdom like 300s BC. By the mid 200s it died off due to the ever increasing serious wars the Celts fought between themselves & others.

>Velties existed during the Maniple era of Roman Warfare, they pre-date Legions and did not exist after the Marian reforms.
Nigga legion just means levy, the hastati, principes, triarii and all that jazz are fair to call Legionaries, they were Legionaries, they weren't the famous roman legionaries but they were legionaries and the army was still called a legion.

They were all entirely organised by wealth originally, later it became by age and experience.

How many Celts where rich enough to where mail?

How many Westerners are rich enough to own a $80,000 car? That much %

Until the 9th century Celtic warfare was dominated by small bands of warrior aristocrats, so usually most of them.

One of the things that was irregular about Caesar's Gallic wars is how many common Gauls ended up fighting, so not all of them would've been wearing armor.

This is mostly concerning continental Celts. British Celts didn't really wear much armor at all until they were Romanised and the Irish didn't really wear armor until the Viking age.

thanks user

>British Celts didn't really wear much armor at all until they were Romanised and the Irish didn't really wear armor until the Viking age.
We don't know this, only a few fragments of mail have survived from pre roman britain but given their tendency to throw old armour into rivers and lakes, and its iron, most of it probably didn't survive. Or it would be melted down when too old, smiths weren't likely to waste a huge sheet of iron.

>mfw some European armies were still using Gallowglasses into the 1650s
>guys with chainmail and axes against muskets and pikes

>>guys with chainmail and axes against muskets and pikes
Still technically viable on the battlefield, simply out of use mostly due to logistics and cheaper armour of the same effect, e.g munitions cuirasses.

Spartans?

Be great for breaking stalemates between blocks

>Celts fight naked in cold snowy France
> Greeks fight in heavy bronze armor in hot dry Greece

This
You can call them legionaries in maniples and be correct but you cannot call them cohorts (yet)

Didn't the Germananics have the +VLFBERHT+ longswords?

>iron age guy fieri looking motherfucker

HI THIS IS GORVENTRIX AND TODAY WE'RE GONNA TAKE A DIVE INTO EUROPES CRAZIEST FIGHT AGAINST ROME!

They still had their very large shields though. If you have a literal moving wall in your left hand that can protect you much more than any sort of clothing or armour you could wear, you probably wouldn't be too preocupied with wearing those clothes or armour.

Most celtic tribes were extremely poor and could not afford armour for all the warriors they had to muster to defend against invading hordes of romans. Armour was certainly not for everyone, specially since celtic society apparently was on of those societies where only nobles do the fighting and fighting was mainly symbolic - one on one duels and such and such

>Velties

>too poor to afford pants
>can afford a sword and shield
Fucking min-maxers.

>Throughout your life as a Celtic lower class farmer you had three possessions
>the single garment which you possessed and wore all the time, which was an extremely simple piece of fabric, usually
>the plow shear that you beat into a sword when it was time to go to war.
>A bunch of timber from the nearby trees to make a shield

yes, the gauls

Gauls are not Germanic. Caesar describes the celts as Gauls, though he says that both the Aquitani and Belgae. Some Germans were migrating at the time.

>Armour was certainly not for everyone, specially since celtic society apparently was on of those societies where only nobles do the fighting and fighting was mainly symbolic - one on one duels and such and such
> only nobles do the fighting
>can't afford armor

I will in no way pretend to be any kind of celt expert, but this statement seems a bit contradictory

that's the other "Spartans"

don't let hollywood bait you

Generally only nobles would do the fighting, so when romans came and EVERYBODY had to fight, only the filthy rich had weapons. There are accounts of celtic men and women fighting with wooden clubs and farm implements or literally whatever they could put their hands on. You can see that specially on Boadicea's revolt, where EVERYBODY united against the invaders but were terribly under-equipped

this actually looks comfy

Centuries of stealing precious metal from other people also helped. Iron was not as available as it is today, and apparently, to make bronze they had to mix tin from Cornwall and Copper all the way from Spain and even that was roman country. I think there were copper mines in Ireland too but those probably coudn't supply all the demands of the british and gaulish celts

didn't the celts originally get tin from south africa or some other insane shit

Didn't help that for some reason Bronze Age people of Britain and France liked to make gigantic swords of all the bronze they could find and bury it in bogs

AFAIK the only known mines of tin in the european bronze age and early iron age were mines in Cornwall and those places that have a name that ends in "Istan" in central Asia. That's one of the theories to explain why there was so much exploration and trade in the bronze age, and why there was also a huge collapse when that trade started to wane

Those are meme-Spartans from Frank Miller's quasi-historic homoerotic fanfiction.

>they got conquered by the Romans and Germanics
[citation needed]
I don't recall the Gauls ever getting conquered by any Germanics.
I'll have you know as soon as Rome conquered Gaul they immediately began recruiting troops from Gaul.

In his Commentaries on the Gallic wars Caesar builds a massive bridge which had been the largest structure yet built north of the Alps to intimidate the Germanics into staying on their side of the Rhine just to tear it back down as a big "fuck you" to the frightened Germanics fleeing for the hills to escape the Romans.

*blocks your path*

I heard about that, was marching his army somewhere and had no boats to cross the river so built a massive bridge. Pretty badass.

All the dinosaurs fear the T Rex

>teleports behind them
> unsheats recurve bow
>"nothin' personnel, gallowcucks''
> shoot them in the ass with my cum tipped arrows.

Is he dual-wielding a machete and a sandal?

Look man, the Liberian Civil War was a weird time.

It's like tripping diethyl ether at Circus Circus, you want to forget about it as fast as possible.