Which battle was the worst in history? Which one would you least have wanted to fight in?

Which battle was the worst in history? Which one would you least have wanted to fight in?

Other urls found in this thread:

siberiantimes.com/other/others/features/the-average-lifetime-of-a-soldier-coming-to-stalingrad-front-was-24-hours-just-one-day/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Ramree_Island
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

"Worst" in what way? Is the second sentence a follow up question, or helping to define the first?

I'd want to avoid any number of sea battles, as drowning is something I have a particular aversion to.

Probably the gas attacks of WW I trench warfare would be high on my list as well.

WWI was where everyone went from "war is great" to "war is hell"

WWI would be the obvious answer, but at least those guys were in leather boots and wool coats.

My vote goes to any fight against Mongolians in early Russia. Cold, miserable, no modern medicines or material. If you survive the battle, you die anyway.

The second sentence is a definition.

Modern; Stalingrad

Medieval; Battle of Kulikovo, over 100 000 dead Mongols and Russians within a few hours

Ancient; Battle of Vercellae

I'm too sleepy to come up with an actual definitive answer, but having brainstormed a real quick list, it's pretty funny how about 75% of my top candidates took place in Russia, and a further 15% took place somewhere near that general vicinity.

Seriously how are they still a country.

Uncle told stories about Byкoвap. Not the nicest of places.

Somme or Verdun

wait in a trench and wait for artillery to kill you, or poke your head out and get shot

The "Battle" of Hiroshima

Anything involving accidentally getting blindsided by Mother Nature, and neither sides commanders is backing off.

Probably Verdun or Rzhev

WWI in some jungle or desert specifically

i guess the worst battle in terms of fighting condition,so ww1 as a whole is already high up that list.

You might only be aware of a bomb going off for like a minute or less though

Gallipoli was a shitshow,but do you men the ww1 stalemate in those conditions?flanders was already an espcially muddy and awful sector to be in.

Or you might live on in agony for months...

Early submarine warfare must have been pretty scary. Imagine losing power deep underwater as the ship is filled with ocean water.

Yeah true, guess the later is obviously what was being referred to

Stalingrad.

Stalingrad by far, with the life expectancy for an average soldier of either side to be less than 24 hours, or 4-5 days if you were a lower-ranked officer.

nonstop bombing for 5 months, surrounded by the enemy no matter what side you were on at some point. temperatures dropping like a rock from November onwards, the city was the definition of a living hell.

not true

sino-japanese war as a chinese soldier

What isn't true about his comment?

the average soldier surviving less than 24 hours

That would mean every single day would be a different set of soldiers.

Indeed, this could not possibly have been true during the whole course of the battle.

Doesn't seem far from the truth. The Germans were losing over 1,000 men a day in Stalingrad (killed, not wounded) at one point. I think in one week alone they lost 20,000 soldiers there.

out of how many?

How would losing 1000 men a day translate to 24 hr life expectancy for the 500,000+ who were there?

If you want a source on where I got that factoid from, here:

siberiantimes.com/other/others/features/the-average-lifetime-of-a-soldier-coming-to-stalingrad-front-was-24-hours-just-one-day/

It's worth noting that they're talking about the City proper where it was a constant stream of soldiers into the meat grinder daily, not including the encirclement maneuvers of Operation Uranus.

he says coming to the front, is that like crossing the volga or something?

That was towards the end when the encirclement was closing in an they were receiving barely any supplies. September~November they weren't losing 1000 a day on average.

this is absolutely terrifying to me. Can't do shit but your one specific task and hope that you don't get your shit fucked by a million things that could go wrong.

Any edgy Chinese garbage

Specifically Suiyang

Cannae as a Roman.

Stalingrad
Leningrad
Somme
Verdun

Special OG mention to Cannae and Lake Trasimene.

Probably Borodino or Austerlitz

> Austerlitz (2 December 1805)
> A famous episode occurred during the retreat: Russian forces that had been defeated by the French right withdrew south towards Vienna via the Satschan frozen ponds. French artillery pounded towards the men, and the ice was broken due to the bombardment. The men drowned in the cold ponds, dozens of Russian artillery pieces going down with them.

> Borodino (7 September 1812)
> According to French General Staff Inspector P. Denniee, the Grande Armée lost approximately 28,000 soldiers: 6,562 (including 269 officers) were reported as dead, 21,450 as wounded. But according to French historian Aristid Martinien, at least 460 French officers (known by name) were killed in battle. In total, the Grande Armée lost 1,928 officers dead and wounded, including 49 generals.
> Suffering a wound on the Borodino battlefield was effectively a death sentence, as French forces did not possess enough food for the healthy, much less the sick. The actual French Army casualty count was 34,000–35,000.

> Some 52,000 Russian troops were reported as dead, wounded or missing

Why do so many of them have their pants around their ankles? Was this a mass rape as well as killing of prisoners?

Napoleaon's retreat from russia. I think Nap. left france with 350,000 troops and returned with under 50,000.

On retreat they had to march through a Russian winter for thosands of miles while being picked off from the cold, stravation, and cossacks.

Could be a case of Paradoxial Undressing, where people will try to take off their clothes before death from hypothermia, because they feel as if they're burning up when in fact they're freezing.

>> A famous episode occurred during the retreat: Russian forces that had been defeated by the French right withdrew south towards Vienna via the Satschan frozen ponds. French artillery pounded towards the men, and the ice was broken due to the bombardment. The men drowned in the cold ponds, dozens of Russian artillery pieces going down with them.

To be honest there are a lot of worse ways to go than drowning in cold water.

Any protracted siege as the defender.

I watch Archer too!

Don't look into the light.

>not wanting to literally experience getting nuked as you leave this world

I heard Stalingrad was pretty comfy.

Paradoxial undressing is a real thing.

This. The ultimate way to go. Vapourized by the Atom

Probably Verdun.

Probably not

The battle of the frontiers, bro. At least for the French.

The horror.

Most deaths from a nuclear explosion would be due to structural collapse.

face it, we both learned about it from Archer.

t. deluded self-important cucknadian

Verdun was thousands times worse than Passchendaele in every way

Hyperbole,Not an argument

Twice as many shells fell at passendale in half the amount of time (on average 5 a second)

How do you go from this..

...to this

Very doubtful unsourced statement of your invention
Verdun had over 200 millions shells fired during the battle and is well known to have the record in that regard for WW1

>worst in history
I don't know. This is kind of ambiguous. Stalingrad comes to mind.

>leave have wanted to fight in
As devastating as modern technology is, I'd probably choose a classical or medieval battle. I think getting locked into melee would be much worse than being shot at (assuming I'm just some random pleb soldier).

Normally the pressure would crush the sub in an instant. You wouldn't feel anything.

7/10 still fuckable

Would rape as Allied occupation soldier.

Now now, passchendaele is pretty much the only historical event that Canada can lay its claim on so they playing it up is hardly surprising.

1991 Persian Gulf War as an Iraqi

>Get incinerated by F-14s dropping laser guided bombs
>Be blown to Kingdom Come by 16 inch shell from Iowa-class Battleship
>Get atomized by Deplete Uranium HEAT round from an Abrams tank
>Get Hellfired by AH-64 Apache
>Be decapitated by M2 Bradley's Bushmaster cannon manned by a soon-to-be infamous domestic terrorist (I'll let you figure out who I'm referring to)
>Be shot dead in pitch black darkness by highly trained 82nd Airborne paratroopers wearing NVGs after they dropped behind our lines
>Be captured, turned back over to Iraqi government at war's end and executed by Saddam for not fighting to the death

All of this and I don't even get to SEE a single American soldier, let alone get to experience the pleasure of just shooting back at him.

>he doesn't know about the Dyatlov Pass incident

Iran-Iraq war was worse

WW1 western front for sure.

>Slowly bleeding out and drowning in an ocean of barbed wire, mud, and screams

battle of cannae or ww1 trench warfare.

"The cold wrapped slowly around his fingers, the warmth of his body swelling in his chest. He couldn't feel his legs anymore. He had her picture clasped in his hand, he could hear the soviets screaming their 'hurah', close to his position. He thought of the warm southern forest where he had first kissed her. He heard a friend cry out for mercy and a shot ring out. He looked down at the torn remnants of his legs, thinking of his father plowing the fields, back turned, sad to see him leave for his basic training. He now knew why his father didn't want him to go.
This wasn't his fathers war, this was his and he had lost. His soul leaving now, the sun hid behind some winter clouds. He felt the picture flutter from his grip, the plains winds picking it up and carry it away towards the Urals. He saw his mother, and she was cooking him breakfast. He was home."

>star "forts"

Can u tell more,i am interested

where is it from?

not really, the iraqis got btfo in a month in the gulf war compared to 8 years of stalemate in the iraq-iran war

What is Byкoвap.

Russians didn't have enough winter gear so they looted some from their comrades as soon as they fell.

The one Im most likely to die in.

Overpressure from being caught in artillery. Many of the corpses were probably dragged there as well.

Passchendale, Verdun, Stalingrad off top of me head.

Not him i did learn about it from tv but from QI, Some people in Antarctica i believed they used as an example.

There is nothing wrong with learning things from anywhere, even an animated comedy show.

I got it from the movie Everest

Would suck pretty bad to be the Baltic Fleet at Tsushima

>Overpressure from being caught in artillery.
Explain?

It's actually the opposite. The Germans had a severe lack of winter gear, and often stole boots and whatnot off dead Russians.

Cannae, Nineveh, Tenochtitlan or Verdun. They are all exceedingly awful for different reasons so it's hard to pick a number 1 worst.

i looked at the picture and wrote it lol

Suomussalmi and Raate road.

>infamous domestic terrorist
definitely mcveigh

Ypres/Passchendaele
Verdun

My votes would be for Stalingrad, Verdun, the Marne, or any battle on the eastern front in late WWI

The battle of Aspern-Essling in 1809 would take some beating for the title of bloodiest battle since half of the troops on both sides became casualties.
Battles of the Napoleonic Wars were horrible affairs. In modern terms, it would be like two armies marching to within 50 meters of each other and then each side opening up with sawed - off shotguns.

When the Austrian army finally lost its bottle,they withdrew and allowed 200+ cannon bombard the remaining french

>‘To the left of Essling the enemy planted 50 pieces of cannon in front of us, and two in front of the chasseurs [Et pied]. When the cannon balls fell on us they cut down three men at a time and knocked the bearskin caps twenty feet in the air. One ball struck a whole file and knocked them down head over heels on top of me!’

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Ramree_Island

I love soldiers testimonies from the Napoopan Wars
They're always very gore

The Somme was pretty bad, as was Antietam, not sure there is anything worse than Stalingrad though.

The Somme was a softer Verdun

>Somme 1.1 million casualties in 5 months
>Verdun 1.1 million casualties in 11 months

I guess most of those 200 million shells at Verdun were duds

Verdun was much more intense despite involving less troops (and thus less casualties per month) as all the fighting was involved in a tiny area (while the Somme was a huge extended frontline)
There's a reason why French and Germans (who knew both the Somme and Verdun) both see Verdun as the worst battle of WW1

It had a greater number of casualties on total number troops ratio and a greater amount of death among the total number of casualties

If this map is correct both battlefields were about the same size (15 mile front)

As for your anecdote, heres what a german officer said of the somme

>The Somme was the muddy grave of the German Field Army.

-Captain von Hentig of the Guards Reserve Division

both were hell, there is no point saying which was worse