Well?

Protestants, why do you reject apostolic tradition, when it's obvious that the early church believes in it?

"Suppose there arise a dispute relative to some important question among us, should we not have recourse to the most ancient Churches with which the apostles held constant intercourse, and learn from them what is certain and clear in regard to the present question? For how should it be if the apostles themselves had not left us writings? Would it not be necessary, [in that case,] to follow the course of the tradition which they handed down to those to whom they did commit the Churches?

To which course many nations of those barbarians who believe in Christ do assent, having salvation written in their hearts by the Spirit, without paper or ink, and, carefully preserving the ancient tradition…" -St.Irenæus. Against Heretics III,4,1-2.

Other urls found in this thread:

ccel.org/ccel/schaff/anf01.ix.iv.v.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catholic_Church_and_health_care
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Even in Paul's time there were heretics and antichrists preaching false gospels.

It's typical of antichrists to value traditions of men instead of the gospel.

yahwey doesn't exist

Prove it

Call him.

I did, he just told me that he's real and that you're a faggot

Prove he didn't

It's really bizarre to see someone who can dance that well but looks so out of shape. Surely he must have practiced a lot to get there. Dude must eat a whole pizza every day or something.

Appealing towards antiquity and tradition is typical of Roman popery. Not an argument.

"Apostolic Tradition" is just Roman culture from thousands of years ago that you got cucked into adopting.
Just admit you are a tribalist who loves the trappings of worldy empire above divine, universal ideas.

OP, here. My original post was actually an experiment on Veeky Forumss' exegetical skills when dealing with the early church fathers, so those who reads the word 'tradition' should understand the context and concept of what the authors are trying to convey; apart from what many us would assume 'traditions' means.

Tl;dr Whenever someone quotes something, whether its scripture or the early church fathers, always research in its context.
Also, pardon me for typing down "Against Heretics" when it's against heresies.

This is the "apostolic tradition" Irenæus is referring to:
>carefully preserving the ancient tradition, believing in one God, the Creator of heaven and earth, and all things therein, by means of Christ Jesus, the Son of God; who, because of His surpassing love towards His creation, condescended to be born of the virgin, He Himself uniting man through Himself to God, and having suffered under Pontius Pilate, and rising again, and having been received up in splendour, shall come in glory, the Saviour of those who are saved, and the Judge of those who are judged, and sending into eternal fire those who transform the truth, and despise His Father and His advent.
ccel.org/ccel/schaff/anf01.ix.iv.v.html

Are you supportive of capitalism?

Martin Luther would have punched you in the face.

It's hard to value spiritual tradition when a certain group used state power to purge all the other thinkers and works so hard that people in current times think that the narrative they preserved must be the only one. It's no different than Stalin using soviet power to redefine Marxism only difference is that in modern times it's almost impossible to suppress written works unlike in ancient times

>catholic acting like his beliefs are the true christianity when for hundreds of years before the first council was even held christian doctrine was varied as fuck and had to be settled by a man made committee

Oh, this is rich. And I didn't even have to bring up the various issues and wrongdoings of the popes, bishops, or anything else.

Christianity may be dumb, but Catholics are truly the least Christian sect out there by a large margin. At least protestant sects try to pretend they give a fuck about the faith and less about power and money.

The early church also believed the apocalypse was nigh and couldn't agree on aspects of the doctrine

>2017
>Being Christian
Grow the fuck up

I like to use Gadamer's intrasubjective version of hermeneutics and interpretation of scripture.

While Catholics are too dogmatic in their traditions, Sola Scriptura is also a step in the wrong direction. Protestants forget about the history and tradition, Catholics tend to place it above the Word. You need a middle ground here.

>Protestants, why do you reject apostolic tradition
Which protestants? Lutherans absolutely do not reject it.

>At least protestant sects try to pretend they give a fuck about the faith and less about power and money.

Here's your (You)

There is zero need or value in tradition as a Christian. Nor is it ever talked about much in the Bible. It's just Yahweh or the highway. In fact, such worldly things should hold little value to a Christian given how hard Jesus rants against the material world and says to focus only on the spiritual.

It's true. I already said Christianity is dumb, so I'm not protestant. But at least they do some faith healing, say to donate for charity, etc. They'll give you a reach around as they con you. Catholics straight up demand a tithe. And they'd probably still sell indulgences if it hadn't fucked them over in the past.

>At least protestant sects try to pretend they give a fuck about the faith and less about power and money.
What? American Protestantism is the most cancerous form of Christianity there is. No spirituality at all just sit in a fucking football arena and listen to some dude tell you that you can get rich too if you just follow these 10 easy commandments

The Catholic Church is the largest charity in the world dumbo.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catholic_Church_and_health_care

>could literally host an NBA team in that

Bet all those people Mother Theresa "helped" would've liked some of that.

>Charity doesn't count unless it's given according to my ideology

>he thinks Mother Theresa calling sickness, pain, and death a gift from god while fleecing poor people is charity

>""""""""charity""""""""" going to further spread Catholic beliefs alone is good

This reminds me of all those religious aid foundations. They'll help, as long as you accept Jesus or listen to a sermon. Let's see some charity without preaching or seeing aid as an investment before we suck off the pope.

>American protestantism
Well this is exactly where the problem lies - in America, not in protestantism. America somehow has the power to corrupt and ruin absolutely fucking everything.

Just a short list of nonsense American "protestants" espouse that European protestants think is completely retarded:

>Prosperity gospel
>Young earth creationism
>Christian zionism
>Adoration of judaism in general
>Megachurches
>Churches in malls and office buildings
>Grape juice instead of wine
>Rap/metal/rock during service
>Snake handling
>Mormonism

If John Calvin or Martin Luther got ressurected tomorrow and saw this faggotry they would strongly push for nuking the entire USA.

>use a continent as a dumping ground for your trash
>then bitch when it starts to ferment and covers everything with stench of rotting shit

Why didn't Jesus cure leprosy across the world?

The gentile are dogs, he said

According to Matthew, the Jewiest of the Gospel writers

What's wrong with grape juice?

And Jesus

Nothing, heck, even wine are allowed in Christians.

The greek word οἶνος means wine, you are supposed to drink wine and not fucking faygo.

Does it really matter if the drink is fermented or not?

It was used to host an NBA team for a time.