How should Reconstruction have been handled?

How should Reconstruction have been handled?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=9l5ILYQAC1I
youtube.com/watch?v=ZRuSS0iiFyo
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

In a way that got rid of the black population totally. Something like shipping them to Africa.

Burning down everything that was left.

Send all Black's to Mexico. If I had I time machine i'd tell the president to do just that.

The way Thaddeus Stevens wanted it to be. The Radical Republicans were right about everything.

In a way that got rid of the white population totally. Something like shipping them to europe

Permanent loss of citizenship and self-government.

Davis, Lee, every member of the Confederate Congress, every member of Davis's cabinet, and as many Confederate senior officers as you could find should have been hanged for treason.

Damn right. They should've shot every leading Confederate and parceled the land between the slaves and poor whites.

Theoretically speaking, what would things have been like if there was a great white flight to Europe? Would it have been enough to destabilize any nations over there with an influx of liberal immigrants?

Nah Lee was alright.

Assuming they went to Northwestern Europe where they came from, it would probably have been hard as people didn't have the resources there as they do now. If they went to central or eastern Europe maybe they could have become farmers or something.

The best bet would be going to Canada, Australia, South Africa or Latin America (Argentina comes to mind, some southerners actually did flee to Brazil after the war)

youtube.com/watch?v=9l5ILYQAC1I

Treat them like they had just committed treason, and waged the deadliest war in american history instead of handling them with the kid gloves.

If you fail to punish a bratty child, you will get a shitty adult. Now we look at a land which was not thoroughly punished for their shitty ideology and continued to violently enforce their ideology for more than a century after the war.

>tfw this would have solved everything including race relations

Let the south leave, but keep the black people because I like living in the north. Keep Virginia, Georgia (black cultural center), and Texas (to make the whites happy) Leave the rest to rot.

Oh, and give black people land so that they don't fall into poverty traps as easily. Have them be treated fairly and equally even if people think otherwise about them.

Unironically this.

Atlanta =/= Georgia

By absolutely crushing and scattering the old Southern gentry and political class, sparing us the Southern Democrats and all the bullshit that came out of promoting/fighting their policies.

Sterilize everyone living there. This way you get rid of both southern blacks and rednecks.

They had less cultural ties to other Africans by that time already. At least the ones that went back did.

Why would you ship a someone back to a place that not even their grandparents have been?

The peaceful secession of the southern states

By shipping both the niggers and the southerners out of the country and settling the southern countryside by good northerners of Germanic stock. Southerners and their pet blacks were and still are the biggest bane of this nation and if entire America was the south it would be pretty much Albania or Brazil tier.

Because I'm absolutely not concerned with his opinion and don't want him to keep shitting up my country, for starters.

The rednecks supported the Union (see West Virginia, Eastern Tennessee) The CSA was led by the landed gentry.

>Misusing the term rednecks when hillbillies was invented for this very purpose

So the ones that are assimilated can stay or is the move based on another metric? What counts as shitting up the country?

Liberia the blacks
Kill the plantation owners and governors and senators and representatives for treason
Auction off the land for cheap and sell a bunch to railroad companies and industry
Turn the blacks leftover into railroads
Redraw some state borders and put all the blacks in the USA into its own state
Do not tax the south at all until it stops being poor

>Liberia the blacks
>Kill the plantation owners and governors and senators and representatives for treason
These two would be both 10/10 moves. Blacks should've been repatriated and planters should've been Nuremberg'd.

The correct response.

This may be right. Literally start from scratch and modal it on the North

>all this hate against the plantation owners
Jesus Christ, what? They had all the right to be angry, with the federal government trying to restrict state rights.

What should've been done is that all blacks should've been sent to Liberia. That's literally everything. That would've solved all problems.

>That would've solved all problems.

everytime, the coons were behind it all! southerners dindu nuffin

Planters were just pure scum and their actions benefitted absolutely no one but the planters themselves.

>import niggers into the country and breed them like cattle and having them infest absolutely everything, a legacy of which we feel to this day
>slave labor undercutting white yeomen's incomes and keeping them poor
>heinous underdevelopment, antebellum Alabama was literally 50 years behind Illinois or Ohio in development
>try their absolute best to eradicate Republicans from the South because they had poor people's interests on the program
>planters for some weird reason cosplaying as British feudal aristocrats despite being descended from literal peasants and spending their days doing absolutely nothing
>forcing secession and launching into a war just to protect their income
>planters sending poor rural white folk to die in a retarded war while the planters themselves and their kids are too sissy to fight
>despite going full "muh states rights", centralize the absolute shit out of the CSA and give the confederate government unprecedented power

In every other country on Earth the traitors get jailed and hanged but in the US they somehow got off scot free and still had the audacity to bitch and moan about how unfairly they were treated. They should've been gassed.

Plantation owners were a tiny part of the population yet commanded a ridiculous amount of the wealth and political clout of the south. They were essentially American nobility. It's not far off to say the southern aristocracy essentially dragged the entire country into civil war because they were terrified of giving up their way of life. Economically, slavery was already going out the window as modern farming technology surpassed the efficiency and value of slave labor. Anyone with a brain capable of long term thought could see that slavery would not last to the end of the century the way things were going, the rest of the world was outlawing it and moving well past it into heavy industrialization.

Yet the south clung to it out of comfort more than anything else. And fear. Fear because of just how many enslaved blacks they had among them, and what they would do if suddenly granted liberty. The fear of liberated blacks taking revenge was common across all social classes in the south, but the paranoia was at its greatest among the plantation owners, and that fear is what led them to so vehemently oppose northern attempts to infringe on their state policies.

>Import millions of niggers into America
>Scream when told they have to be taken away from you
>Wage the bloodiest war on Earth since Napoleon
>"Oh, it's okay just ship them off to Liberia for us now! Thanks feds!"

Southerners.

Calling them aristocracy is top comedy on par with calling some NFL nigger who purchases a golden crown "a king". They were glorified peasants, in Russia they'd be called kulaks.

Holy shit this thread. You people don't get out much do you?

Wholesale slaughter or forced migration were never options. You have to learn to work with people you don't like, that's part of being American. Jesus y'all. I'm from the south and I'm ashamed of you.

>I'm from the south
t. DeTranquan Washington

this. Accusations of aristocracy are revisionist drivel. They were families of robber barons who specialized in land, little more, little less. The Rockefellers were more a dynasty than any fucking plantation family and nobody is stupid enough to argue they're aristocracy. It's WE WUZING of the highest order.

>bloodiest war on earth since Napoleon

Wew amerifat goggles are the best goggles

Don't bother with these people. Veeky Forums is full of unaware marxists.

redistribute plantation land to CONFEDERATE (not union) low-ranking soldiers (and other southerners who weren't part of the aristocracy) and former slaves

I would have avoided the need for Reconstruction altogether by not aggressing against Dixie in the first place.

You forgot

>Shoot the president when he actually does begin to send Blacks back to Liberia

Is anyone at all here a proponent of allowing slavery in the South with the belief that it would've eventually been phased out?

If so, where's the evidence that opinion in the South was moving against slavery?

I don't know why anyone would support that, the North would just continue to industrialize and exponentially outpace the South. As the wannabe-aristocrats continuously drove the majority of Southerners into poverty they'd head north until the Democrat party was faced with the choice of either giving up slaves or simply disappearing.

So you're saying that you do agree with that theory?

Genocide. It's not too late either.

>muh states rights
>seceding to protect the institution of infringing upon another individuals life without any reasonable counsel and against his/her will for likely the duration of their life

Violation of the NAP

>inb4 helicopter or meme balls

>capture, imprison, try, and execute every Confederate politician, advisor, officer, financier, slave-owner, etc. for treason and sedition
>burn down the rest of the region
>sell off land to poor white farmers and black slaves
>give chance for blacks to go back to Africa should they chose
>wage a culture war on Confederate butthurt, revisionism and imagery, bring the stars and bars on par with the Nazis flag
>spur investment in the population centers like Richmond, Nashville, Atlanta, New Orleans, etc.

>should they choose
This is a load of horseshit. Technically the blacks' opinion was completely irrelevant, before 14th and 15th amendment they were not citizens so the government was fully within their rights to remove all of them.

Liberia could have worked had it not been for Lincoln getting shot and the Democrats in Congress sperging out at the thought of losing their cheap labor.

I firmly believe that the Southerners were a bunch of coon lovers, that's the only thing that explains their actions.

>Do not tax the south at all until it stops being poor
because that worked well with post ww1 germany

Put the blacks in charge, but ban their immigration north. Seriously fuck the south.

The south was poor until FDR poured millions of hardworking northern dollars into that cesspit.

I don't think you understand what you're talking about friend.

Not him but he's completely right. If you think aristocrats = rich people, then you're pretty dumb.

No change, we live in the best of all possible worlds.

no, the question was how SHOULD it have been handled, not how WAS it handled.

Liberia proved Africans hate African Americans, no use shipping them over

complete revocation of citizenship status and ability to vote in elections or for representatives. All the manpower, resources, and farmland of the South should have been open to full exploitation under military administration.

>All these asshurt northerners wanting to execute people for defending their homeland from invaders.

Liberia failed because Afro-Americans are the minority; if all slaves were sent back after the Civil War it would have turned out very differently

Defending rich white's right to own people*

>defending their homeland from invaders.

You mean a bunch of gullible crackers that died for a rich man's war that they didn't benefit for shit before or after? At least the North did pretty well for itself following the war. Kys southern traitor scum

If Lincoln had lived, I believe we would have seen Reconciliation instead of Reconstruction. Would have been better.

racist

Forty acres,and maybe a mule?

Threadly reminder that...

1) There was NEVER a plan to deport slaves to Liberia

2) Abraham Lincoln supported limited black suffrage (to the literate and the veterans) in his final public address

>cracker
Either a nigger or self hating white.

Or he's historically literate.

What you idiots dont understand is that if the federal government went around executing any one associated with the Confederacy you'd have more uprising, riots, and revenge killings than they could've handled.

Their armies were already defeated, any uprising could've been dealt with quite easily.

or all the easier to get everyone in one spot, to save the effort of going house to house and drag them out and put the dogs down

>Veeky Forums is not /pol/, and Global Rule #3 is in effect. Do not try to treat this board as /pol/ with dates. Blatant racism and trolling will not be tolerated

>treason doesn't exist

Too bad your ancestor didn't get his deserved Union lead.

>shoot a federal fort
>we din du nuffin

Now I know where the blacks learned it from.

More Dixie fucks dead is always a good thing.

That's what Liberia was founded for
Guess what african american freedmen started enslaving the natives too and became the elite due to higher knowledge and influence
Its also probably the worlds worst shithole by now (undesignated street shitting, AIDS and cannibalism included)

youtube.com/watch?v=ZRuSS0iiFyo

t. William "Cuckhumteh" Sherman
>If I had I time machine i'd tell the president to do just that.
Lincoln believed blacks were inherently inferior and couldn't adapt to a white society and Liberia was founded for that purpose. I always find it amusing modern day liberals venerating a staunch white supremacist

t. retarded Southerners with traitor blood

Cracker prior to the Civil War meant poor rural whites, nothing to do with I what I think about race. So this user is correct. Go read a fucking book.

>own vast tracts of land from which they derive all their wealth
>this land is worked for them by bonded laborers who are not free to leave
>the ownership of this land is passed down their family
The only difference between plantation owners and European Nobility is they had no feudal obligation to fulfill and no obligation to protect their serfs.

yeah i meant to say atlanta specifically but for whatever reason Georgia came out

Ok, so no real rebuttal then just more /pol/ tier murder fantasies.

fucking this, you shit heads praise feudal lords and European nobility but then act like plantation owners are some sort of devils when they usually treated their slaves better than their European counterparts treated their serfs and workers.
Its hilarious how northerners call southerners butthurt when reading the responses here.

>treated their slaves better than their European counterparts treated their serfs and workers.
Not sure if troll
European serfdom was long dead when Murrica declared independence except in some slav shitholes

>Russia's over 23 million privately held serfs were freed from their lords by an edict of Alexander II in 1861
Hmmmm

Complete and utter annihilation of their "culture" and government. Destroy all seeds of secession and traitors.

you people are nuts. advocating genocide because a small percentage of plutocrats owned slaves and they tried to leave a voluntary union of sovereign states? kys

No he didn't u dumb spic

>black people actually have a chance at real equality, none of the sharecropping and segregation bullshit
>can't call for reparations now because that would have been reparations
>poor whites not as poor
>a wealthier south is likely a more educated south, meaning no dumb inbred rednecks
>no "the South will rise again!!!1" idiocy because the vast majority of Southerners would be better off than in the Confederacy

>mfw this literally would have made it better for everyone

1) Don't kill Lincoln.
2) DO NOT KILL LINCOLN.

Reminder that the only good Northerner is a dead Northerner.

Every last fucking Unionist will hang on the Day of the Rope.

>except for some slav shitholes
can you read?