Who is the greatest military commander of all time?

Who is the greatest military commander of all time?

Alexander

He mastered the art of using a really long pointy stick

Isn´t it obvious?

Elder God tier:
Alexander
Scipio
Jackson
Patton
Sun Tzu
God tier:
Rochambeau
Cromwell
Rommel
Karolus Martellus
Decent tier:
Napoleon
Julius Caesar
Washington
Nelson
Lee
Xerxes
Bad tier:
Grant
Shit tier:
Hitler
Neckbeards on the internet

44th President of the United States Barack Obama

If Sulla and Thucydides aren't even on your list, then I know you don't know what you're talking about.

Temujin started life as an outcast unlike many other generals. The mongols also had inferior technology compared to the "civilized" states.

Yes but, contrary to popular belief, Temujin was not in command of the majority of Mongol battles.
He was nowhere near a good portion of the larger battles, which were all lead by his numerous generals.

So it kinda pushes him off.

>Patton in the same tier as Alexander and two tiers higher than Napoleon
"I'm American": the post

>Patton

Get the fuck out, jesus christ. He wasn't even the best commander of his own war much less one of the best of all time.

>Patton Elder God tier
>Rommel God Tier
>fucking Washington somehow on par with Caesar and Napoleon
>no mention of Guderian, von Manstein, Zhukov, Subutai, Belisarius, Timur, von Moltke, Suvorov, Ney, al-Walid or even fucking Hannibal
Literally History Channel in text form

>Rommel god tier
>Grant bad tier
>no Subutai
>no Manstein
>no Suvorov

fuck off back to r/historychannel.

I hope its bait

>Scipio but not Hannibal
Please jump

please stop

Здpaвcтвyйтe

>No Manstein anywhere
>Patton Elder God tier
>Washington on the same tier as Napoleon

Please end yourself and never post here again

Never was a Emperor or General but his place in history is cemented due to his ideas. Also Otto Skorzeny.

>no duke of wellington
>no nelson

Am I the only one who finds these types of threads extremely retarded

not the greatest but a great nevertheless

>No Hannibal
>NO HANNIBAL

>Jackson
That best not be Andrew Jackson.

Пpивeт пpиaтeл, кaк ты?

>muh elephant

Fuck off Hannibal

>Jackson

Micheal?

>benis

xDDD

>No Mad Dog Mattis
what kind of faggot American are you son?

butthurt redcoat detected

Mattis is shit, and this is coming from an American. He's on the same level as Patton. Save for Pershing, anyone in charge of Marines (a group of retards) is a retard. Chief retard.

I honestly believe that julius caesar was a better strategist/commander than alexander

I think Alexander had more things that were just naturally on his side, such as the strength of his cavalry and heavy infantry. Not saying he didn't use them well but he wasn't truly responsible for them being as good as they were

don't think alexander could pull off an alesia

forgot about tsubodai

possibly the GOAT, who knows

Elder God tier:
Subutai
al-Walid
Alexander
Jan Zizka
Gustavus Adolphus
Napoleon
Belisarius
Yi Sun-shin
Suvorov
Horatio Nelson
von Moltke
Frederick of Prussia
Li Jing 李靖

>Frederick of Prussia
>Elder God tier General
I think your confused user

You're right, Alexander wouldn't have to resort to taking women and children hostage to defeat a barbarian horde, after all he spent most of his career defeating large, organized, and exotic armies.

>Defeats alliances at retarded odds
sure, he needed a miracle or two to happen, and literally fell apart a few battles, but he was a genius who was a master of logistics and an early proponent of the modern idea of initiative.

I remember History channel

>genius who was a master of logistics and an early proponent of the modern idea of initiative.
This is true

Bennedict Arnold :^)
>getting cucked by continental congress out of your personal fortune to finance the war
>getting cucked over by other generals for promotion
He did nothing wrong

God tier:
Alexander
Napoleon
Sun Tzu
Yi Sun-sin
von Manstein
Subutai
Caesar

Better Than Most Tier:
Hannibal
Pyrrhus
Horatio Nelson
Sulla
Guderian
Timur
Zhukov
Duke of Wellington
von Moltke
Frederick the Great
Gustav Adolphus

Alright Tier:
Lee
Belisarius
Scipio
Suvorov
Cromwell
Al-Walid
Pompei

Meme Tier:
Rommel
Patton
Ney
Washington
Leonidas

Hannibal for his time

Both feared and respected

How could Napolean be above Wellington

>Lee
>same tier as Scipio and Suvorov

are you a literal fucking retard?

Meme-tier pham

>Sun Tzu
We don't even know that much about his life or if he even existed. Qin Shi Huang and his generals crushing the other 6 states to unify China is pretty high tier though.

>Xerxes
>decent
Unless there's some other Xerxes that didn't get his army repeatedly rekt by a far smaller Greek force, he belongs in Hitler's tier.

>not Manstein
pleb

Caesar was excellent at tactics but shit at strategy

>not Guderian

Napoleon wasn't a great
>military commander
He was definitely capable, an astonishing administrator, moderniser, a master of propaganda but any man who orchestrates the Patriotic war is not worthy of consideration.

Also a lifetime failing to subdue a smaller, poorer, less populace country, a divided island on your northern shore is embarrassing enough, having to unconditionally surrender to them TWICE is unforgivable.

He was a god of war. He knew instantly how to read a battlefield and anticipate the enemy's approach. Without their navy, Britain didn't stand a chance.

HOL UP
Napoleon is arguably god-tier, as well as a great leader; however, his great success made him overconfident.

Hurp Durp, here are my counterfactuals...
>without their navy
What? without their chief means of defence, instrument of offence and guarantor of power and trade? The institution they'd invested in for centuries? What kind of moronic handicap is that?

Without their Cossacks the Russians didn't stood a chance
Without their Grande Armée the French didn't stand a chance
Without his fists, I bet Mike Tyson would have struggled to become world champion...

>god of war
...one winter, and 400,000 of you best fighting me dead, later...
Veeky Forums: 'But that's different though.'

He was great at both dumbass

Overconfident!? He's the personification of arrogance, the epitome of meglamania. I think he's a Great man but these Veeky Forums memers love him and exaggerate his accomplishment while ignoring his colossal failings.

Just finished the Roberts Biography on him:

>On May 4 a surprise night attack was attempted, but failed. Three days later, with the sails of a Turkish naval relief force seen on the horizon, Napoleon sent Lannes to try to storm the city. The enterprising general managed to get a tricolour onto the north-east tower but no further, and was subsequently expelled. By now Napoleon was describing Acre to Berthier as a mere ‘grain of sand’, an indication that he was considering abandoning the siege. He was also convinced that Sir Sidney Smith was ‘a kind of lunatic’, because the British commodore had challenged Napoleon to single combat under the walls of the city. (Napoleon replied that he didn’t see Smith as his equal, and ‘would not come forth to a duel unless the English could fetch Marlborough from his grave’.)40 Smith also devised the forging of an ‘intercepted’ letter from Napoleon to the Directory bemoaning his army’s perilous situation. Copies were distributed around the French army by deserters, and it was said that when one was handed to Napoleon he ‘tore it up in a great rage’ and forbade anyone to discuss it. This ruse de guerre certainly fooled the Turks, whose ambassador in London sent a copy to the Foreign Office under the impression that it was genuine.

If a man of his hubris makes the admission that Marlborough was his equal, then this means that Marlborough was his superior, and deep down, he knew that.

>Suvorov
>alright
>Manstein
>God-tier
???

>Great leader to his soldiers
>Humane towards prisoners
>Refuse to blow up historic monuments and massacre civillians only because his leader was assmad about losing
>Forced to become an hero because he turned into a political liability
Truly a modern day greek tragic character

Seriously though, it's Suvorov.

Awful post.

Daily reminder Belisarius was not only a literal cuck, he was literally cucked by his wifes son
>In the first five chapters of his Secret History, Procopius characterises Belisarius as a cuckold husband, who was emotionally dependent on his debauched wife, Antonina. According to the historian, Antonina cheated on Belisarius with their adopted son, the young Theodosius. Procopius claims that the love affair was well known in the imperial court and the general was regarded as weak and ridiculous

More like great at strategy but decent at tactics. Caesar admits to making several tactical errors in his account of the Gallic campaign. If anything his greatest strength was his charisma that led his army to follow him for years through atrocious conditions and not break in several battles where they should have.

How did he get literally buttfucked by Crassus inept son though lol

Pretty much every great general has lost at least one battle, mate.

>Shit tier:
>Hitler
>Neckbeards on the internet

He got the last one right.

Hitler had as much experience in military strategy as Trump has in politics
He did well though
Only mistakes were getting trolled into invading Russia too soon thinking the Red Army was in its death throes and get trapped in the russian winter
He accurately predicted where the allies would land in D Day but his generals convinced him otherwise

>memes like Rommel and Sun Tzu are mentioned
>no epaminondas

>Jackson
literally who?

Julius Caesar or Napoleon would probably be my top picks

But I've also always liked Cortez, von Manstein, Wellington, and Stillicho

Idk enough about eastern history to make any picks from that

kill yourself

has no one heard of skanderbeg? should be atleast decent tier