You can create a movie based on upon something historical. Be it a movie about the life of someone, about a battle...

You can create a movie based on upon something historical. Be it a movie about the life of someone, about a battle, a war or whatever.

The budget will be equal to that of all the big historical epics; Saving Private Ryan, Troy, Gladiator and so on.
What do you make, and why do you think it'd be cool?

I've always wanted there to be some adventure movie about some lone guy in the early 1800s who lives on the east coast who just decides go out west and explore and gets into a bunch of adventures, some of them silly, some of them more serious. There will be a lot of beatiful scenery and then after about 3 hours of movie, he dies somewhere in the desert way out west, to some popular piece of classical romantic European music from the same time period.

The Wacky Misadventures of Qin Er Shi 2: electric boogaloo

Raid on St Nazaire.
The life of Pericles.
Siege and race of Peking or whole Boxer rebellion.

Epic of Gilgamesh

Genghis Khan and the Golden Horde deserve the epic treatment. Travesty it hasn't been done in earnest yet. (don't point me to a low budget meme rendition)

Some Russian director made a decent Genghis movie. Too bad he hasn't bothered to make the other two films in the trilogy.

I know we can do better than that

they're probably afraid of American audience appeal and that's sad as hell

Hollywood shouldn't touch Genghis. They'll inject stuff like superfluous love stories and other shitty hollywood tropes.

But I want incredible battle scenes

A good telling of the Iliad and the Odyssey. I actually heard that lionsgate was trying to make an Odyssey movie that would be split into parts. But that was in 2015 and haven't heard anything since.

American films are garbage and have been for the last 20+ years.

Maybe, but we're the only ones with enough money to make films on an epic scale. When was the last time you saw a multimillion-dollar blockbuster from anywhere but America. Long story short the rest of the world sucks at making movies even more than we do

A movie about the Troubles that doesn't portray either side as the good guys, but actually emphasizes on the complicity of the conflict and the blurred line between just cause and gang-fueled terrorism.

All Troubles related shit seems to be pro paddy or pro brit.

Mucius Scaevola

Fuck movies. Long form television is where it's at.

>When was the last time you saw multimillion dollar blockbuster from anywhere but America
Literally a few days ago (The Great Wall)

Columbus Voyage
Nika stance
Chinese - Vietnam war
1st Balkan wars
BTW actors from the countries, no Hollywood-watered half-baked bullshit.

Rwandan paras on the Congo War, it would be epic

Never heard of it. But I Googled it and I'd hardly call that a Blockbuster

A decent film made from Caesar's commentaries on his Gallic wars.

A G. Washington biopic.

A Gaius Marius pic, but might have to be a trilogy.

And, for variety, "The Invasion of Japan," an alternate history where the Bomb didn't end the war --either it wasn't ready in time, or the Japanese espionage was good enough to know we only had the two.

Would be a great flick,but OP said historical events.

this desu

The battle of kohima.

A movie about the conquest of mesoamerica that aims for historical accuracy instead of propaganda bullshit would be pretty sick

>makes $70 million on the opening weekend in China alone
>not a blockbuster
You're retarded.

>Salamis (300 "sequel" was a travesty)
>Actium
>Lepanto
>Trafalgar
>Jutland
>Samar Sea

There aren't nearly enough epics about the great naval battles of history.

About the first cirucumnavegation

La Noche Triste

This is yet another problem with Hollywood. They make steaming piles that do terrible in America, and then make it up in China. They are basically making movies for China.

I would watch this.

Would love to see a picture about Galileo, and how the story his advocacy of Heliocentrism really went down. Something of a trial pic, I guess, but really explain how, in addition to being right (or right-ish, Heliocentrism turned out to be wrong as well), Galileo was also a dick who was pretty much begging to be locked up.

Fuck the church, man.

I too would watch this.
The life of Pericles
Classical Greece (non graphic novel version) would be awesome.

As for me, either something about carthage, the North African theatre or the Russo-Japanese war.

I've had an idea for a chronological trilogy about Italian history. Practically all of them involve the protagonist switching sides at some point.

1st: During the Italian War of 1521–26, a nobleman has his estate destroyed, his family killed, and his possessions lost at the hands of the invading HRE. in order to exact vengeance, he becomes a condotierre,

2nd: An idealistic Italian general fights for Napoleon's Kingdom of Italy in the hopes that his work will one day result in a unified Italian peninsula. However, his life crumbles with Napoleon's Empire.

3rd: A film about a squadron in the Legione Redenta (former Austro-Hungarian Italians who were incorporated into the Regio Esercito in order to fight in Russia's Civil War.)

Four season series following the rise of Italian fascism.

First season follows D'Annunzio's life before and during ww1, his exploits, his extreme rhetoric, his arial assault on Vienna, etc.

The second season then follows a group of fictional and nonfictional futurist artists as they fight the much less glamorous war in the trenches, their feelings of loss and betrayal, and their return to a modern liberal Italy that no longer needs them and in many ways outright dislikes them. They them become bandits and thugs and hang with a lot of different communist, anarchist, and fascist groups while they look for meaning in their lives.

The third season flashes back to D'Annunzio, and follows his adventures in Fiume. This would be full of wide angle shots of old Italian villages, beautiful women, flowers, flags, spectacular violence, and gracious sex. He meets the group of futurists from season 2 and many of them climb the ranks of his government while in Fiume.

Finally, the fourth season follows the aviator Italo Balbo, and throws a much darker light on the whole series. There would be a couple good episodes where he marches on rome and crosses the atlantic, but mostly it shows the growing despotism and corruption of Mussolini's Italy. We see fascism turn from a radical youth movement to a vulgar dictatorship. D'Annunzio, the futurists and most of the old supporting characters (who didn't already die) are either purged, or pushed from the stage by Mussolini and his cronies. It ends with Italy allying with Hitler, and Balbo's plane being shot down in what's implied to be an assassination by a pro-nazi faction of the fascist movement.

Mad-Max-level of dialogue film about a successfully developed Soviet "apeman" defending a chunk of hellscape that is the Eastern front.

I have no shame. It's what I'd want and I'm sticking to it.

Now I want D'Annunzio to get the Mishima treatment and have a biopic made after him.

Would renew my netflix account to watch that.

a movie about Simo Hayha, the White Death. Watch as this short Finnish manlet Dome check over 700 soviets with a bolt action rifle and a smg

I'm amazed it hasn't happened already.

Everything about his life reads like an over the top thriller. Not only that, but his aesthetic sensibilities and Italy in general lend themselves to film.

Can you imagine him marching to Fiume? His caravan full of roses, with a thousand Italian squadristi behind him, singing an cheering as they go to take what's theirs. When he's stopped by the Italian army, the same size as his. Total silence as their guns are pointed at each other, and he's ordered to turn around. Two thousand people, and not a word. D'Annunzio get's up and smiles cheekishly, then slowly pulls back his cape and reveals the glittering medals he's earned from his past exploits. Looking the Italian army in the eyes, he says "go ahead, and shoot your emperor if you must". Total silence. Then the entire Italian arm throws their guns in the air and scream out "viva D'Annunzio!" "viva Fiume!". Then the thousand squadristi behind him do the same, until the entire screen is filled with flying hats and flowers and cheering soldiers all surrounding D'Annunzio, who's sitting there smugly atop his horse drawn carriage on a bed of roses.

You can't make stuff like that up.

>I'm amazed it hasn't happened already

Probably because to Normies they are all literally whos.

>OMG a movie about a FASCIST? You mean like Trump? That's not cool user, I'm not going to see that, I like Muslims.

It's a shame though. Just reading about his life is like watching the best action movie ever made.

Then again, someone would probably manage to screw it up anyways.

I'd literally cut my hand off if it meant I could watch D'Annunzio's year in Fiume directed by Paolo Sorrentino.

Normies need name recognition to pay attention to historical stuff these days.

After just watching pic related, I'm astounded that China from 1899-1928 isn't a more popular subject in film. You have numerous Western countries (and Japan) intermittently clashing with the world's most populous one. There's an endless amount of stories that could be told in such a rich setting.

I would personally like to see a fictional account of mercenaries of various nationalities working in service of a warlord during the early 1920s. It could be a sort of bizarre parallel to the Eight-Nation Alliance.

A film glorifying Otoya Yamaguchi
An emotional epic about a young man torn to throw his life away in order to save his country from evil
Portray his rush onto stage as the most beautiful, heroic, selfless thing ever.
Title can be something glamorizing it even further. Something about dying for your country, heroic sacrifice, or having seven lives to give for your Emperor.

Even though it's a bit of a reach, I feel like the closest thing to what you're describing that actually exists is Vincere by Marco Bellocchio. It's about Mussolini's former mistress, and how her life was essentially destroyed due to her former lover being the ruler of her country. It's the closest you'll get to a stylistic biopic of an Italian historical figure.

You should watch 55 days at Peking if you haven't

Apocalypto but with Maoris

I just want a decent Roman military drama.

And a blaxploitation flick about Yasuke, the christian African samurai.

I want an espionage/noir film set in occupied Istanbul in the 1920s, a crime drama set in 1930s Shanghai, and literally anything set in Victorian Hong Kong.

The latter two sounds like you need to watch some Chinese cinema. Usually their treatment of colonised/occupied Shanghai and Hong Kong is quite good, typically veering on arthouse style setwork, albeit with generic plots.