Do you feel that humanity is likely to kill itself off before it is capable of traveling light years away?

Do you feel that humanity is likely to kill itself off before it is capable of traveling light years away?

I was watching videos about space, and I really came to understand just how incapable we are as a species currently (possibly for the next millennium) to travel a single light-year. It is 6 trillion miles after all. I just got to thinking that the quantum leap in technology would have to be so massive before humanity caved in and died.

Everything in our current culture seems so ass backwards, I mean, the Kardashian's alone as a concept is egregious. It seems so banal to me, and yet millions of millions are aware of them and not a single pioneer in a scientific field, save Elon Musk. Shit, even I'm guilty of this.

Are we going to kill ourselves off before we reach another hospitable planet?

Other urls found in this thread:

scientificamerican.com/article/oh-the-places-we-won-t-go-humans-will-settle-mars-and-nowhere-else-excerpt/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Let's be honest traveling to another star system is a pipe dream, but what's got me really excited is conquering our own solar system.

I just read an article that humanity, in a physical sense, is only realistically going to colonize Mars whereas the rest of the planets will be explored via whatever robots we poop out.

Experiencing Pluto through neural VR thanks to nanobots making use of solar sails is my best guess.

But I agree. Don't know why now but I just have this feeling of excitement in my gut of what is to be of humanity in the next thousand or so years. What we've done in the past 50 is absolutely insane.

It's because humanity isn't connected enough; the connections we have now are too superficial. We're in a transitional phase right now.

I appreciate the response.

Do you feel that, once the transitional phase is over we'll be more united in our goals? What's it going to take to get us over the hump?

A lot more interbreeding. Or alien invasion/contact. Though I wonder if traveling light years will ever be feasible.

I always refer back to the image of a medieval knight seeing a plane fly over his head, and how that technology is a mere thousand years apart.

I know it is unlikely in our lifetimes for such a leap to take place, but within the same time span I do feel that we would quite literally shit ourselves at the technology that we'd see.

In the even that we do come into contact with aliens, I could only imagine that would speed up the process infinitely. The amount of fear that would radiate through our species I think would put all our bickering on hold and every aspect of our efforts would be united to propel us into a very literal technological revolution.

Article link? I doubt we won't have, at least, colonies like those on Antarctica on the other planets and moons, for research, and maybe mining, too. And, eventually, they'll grow into their own things.

Well we have the laws of physics holding us back from going faster than the speed of light. You are right about fear uniting humans though.

scientificamerican.com/article/oh-the-places-we-won-t-go-humans-will-settle-mars-and-nowhere-else-excerpt/

For those lurking, or participating in the thread, do any of you guys know of any good online communities for discussing space?

Boy, I hope it's like Cowboy Bebop, though without the "Earth being destroyed" thing.

>A lot more interbreeding.
I hope not. That would destroy our individual cultures.

Technology will advance, and sentimental lies that have been with humanity for thousands of years will be exposed. Who knows what exactly will happen, but the people who choose to keep deluding themselves will not have any sort of advantage.

It's for the better if you're into interstellar space travel. How can you expand into space if you aren't even unified at home?

>tfw born late enough to dream of space travel
>tfw born too early to ever experience it

Why can't individual nations have their own space programs, or untie with other, similar, states to create colonies? Like a Central American Colony, or a Commonwealth Colony?
As long as one Superpower rises far above all, no huge wars will break out.

As big of a meme as it can be, for me, it's a very visceral feeling I get in my stomach every time I think about space in any of its aspects. The immensity of it, the complexity of actually getting out there, what it means to our species to finally unite; all of it hits me in the feels on a (huehue) astronomical level.

320 is right. I feel that, humanity in its current form, is for one reason or another not tolerable of other cultures. If we were to have an immediate need for space travel, we'd have to be all very like minded.

Individuals with enough resources maybe, but who has that alone? Groups with enough differences probably wouldn't work because different goals, etc. Even if some super power has enough, how will they maintain the home front with spending a fuck load of money on exploration and colonization?

I would say it is a 50/50 chance that humanity ends as a species over the next 100 years

>is for one reason or another not tolerable of other cultures. If we were to have an immediate need for space travel, we'd have to be all very like minded.
Then why not have superior cultures reign supreme? You can't tell me that mixing with fucking Africans is good, considering their position.
I admit it, I'm a /pol/tier nazi, but I just don't want my ancestor's culture and traditions displaced by those of others, especially of those who are, plainly, inferior.
Let's not talk about that, anymore, though, since this isn't the thread for that.
I mean really powerful. And, honestly, NATO is at that position, right now.

Maybe not necessarily interbreeding, but perhaps a melding of cultures across the globe to get on the same page.

Could NATO pour resources into space for perhaps 0 return, while defending the home front from those who don't agree with them?

>perhaps 0 return
Think of all the resources to be mined.
I hope that meddling of cultures is just third-worlders adopting Euro-Anglo culture.

Even if some super power managed to establish legit colonies, how fast would those colonies revolt (granted they could be self sufficient or trade among other colonies)? Could a single power take back entire planets?

What resources? Where? How many planets in our solar system have actual resources we could use for our societies? The melding will probably see a waning of Anglo culture. Look at the demographic shift in America over the next 100 years alone.

Definitely a valid point. Somewhat of relevance, I think in Mass Effect there was a species called the Geth, and they were one giant unified hive mind.

I feel that humanity would need a reason to get to that point, they would need a reason to align all their efforts into a single goal.

Of course, this is assuming an immediate need for space travel. As it stands, and I'm going to make the presumption that humanity doesn't commit seppuku, I feel we are on track to achieving some great goals in regards to space travel.

I have my doubts however, especially with America's current political climate. We seem still very ingrained in our animalistic nature.

It's a real shame that America has a culture of stupid, and vilifies intelligence.

How could they revolt? What military power would they have? Also, the people in them would feel legitimately American(or whatever country) for at least two generations. As long as they're intelligently governed, which would likely include a lot of home-rule, they wouldn't revolt for a long time.
I think our first ones will be in the asteroid belt, and after people see the success of those, a lot will support establishing colonies on Mars, so we'll do it, to get votes.
But why would we want to be a hive-mind? Getting to space isn't worth sacrificing our individuality, especially not for the vast majority of people.
And hasn't Trump said, at some point, that he liked NASA, or space travel, or something? I certainly haven't seen him stating that he didn't support space programs.

The Atlantic Ocean was enough distance to create a large enough cultural rift for revolution. Imagine the rift between people not even on the same planet. Culture and language would change very quickly. Why should they send back the resources they worked hard for to people they don't even identify with any more?

I mean they could revolt, stop sending resources back. What if the home front was relying on these resources and can't retake the planet? How would the home planet invade with severely limited resources?

Do you really think we would rule them like how the British ruled us? We would grant them enough home-rule to sate them, and, of course, they would import our food for their metals, and they would consume our media, which would help keep our cultures similar. I think you just really want a good reason for them to revolt.
No colonies of good countries would revolt. The Central American Colony might revolt, but we're not talking about their colony.

>enough home rule to sate them

They'll only want more and more.

>our food for their metal

So we aren't really colonizing and terraforming. I think your model would work better with corporations setting up shop.

>So we aren't really colonizing and terraforming
Is moving people to a planet or moon and setting up the machines to terraform not colonizing and terraforming?
And I think you over estimate how much these people would want to be independent.
Most would still have family on Earth, who they'd talk to over the internet, and they'd know that they couldn't survive without the food from their homeworld, most likely, or just wouldn't really care to be independent. They'd be English-speaking people form America, why would they separate? And we'd likely put them in a Puerto Rico-type situation, where they could be independent if they wanted to.
Puerto Rico, right now, is a lot more different from America than these colonies would be, but it's content remaining as our territory.

Cyborg and then full android will be our last stages of development
From then on we'll be complete masters of our nature and no longer slaves on the whims of evolutionary cancer
Or we'll just be genocided by superior artificial intelligence
Anyway it will be a step forward

Well terraforming implies changing the planet to make it habitable, and self sustainable. Yes if they are reliant on the home world for food stuff they will be wary of revolution, but I think time and time again colonies become too different than the home country and seek independence. After just one or two generations colonists would stop talking to families at home, they wouldn't even know eachother.

Side note, Puerto Rico is in massive debt. They want to become American but America doesn't want to eat that shit sandwich.

How long do you think terraforming would take? Very long. They'd live in domed cities, for the first hundred years. And why are you so hung up on them revolting? In times like these, if they did want independence, it'd come about peacefully. But they wouldn't want independence. Because they wouldn't have their own culture, they wouldn't have their own language, they wouldn't have their own people, they be a colony, and, as long as they were treated well, they wouldn't fucking revolt.

Depends on the technology. Even on earth culture and language change so rapidly, I don't think you understand. Now imagine the distances of space.

>le science

>laws of physics exist

They wouldn't follow their home countries law and wouldn't pay any sort of tribute to them. Isn't that basically being independent?

I wonder if Colombus was asked about the problems of europe before he found the new world.

Look how well it turned out for spain.

So? What's your point? They wouldn't fight over it, and would remain allies of their home nation, so they'd be successful colonies, no reason not to spend money on creating them.
>distance of space
I don't know why you think that this would be an issue. They'd be constantly connected via the internet and other media. They wouldn't develop their own really separate culture, they'd have their own subculture of Anglo culture.

Internet and media isn't going to stop and indigenous culture and eventually language chsnges from emerging.

Yes it fucking would, or, at least, it would take literally thousands of years for anything more than a few fucking sayings to develop, certainly not anything to revolt over.
Why are you arguing over this? Are you retarded? Do you have mental issues? You are clearly very stupid.

Do you have something to back up your claim? On the other hand, cultures changing from isolation is proven over and over again throughout history.

But they wouldn't be isolated, you idiot. That's my point.

A couple tv shows and potential access to the internet is not enough.

It's not? Really? And I suppose Alaskan are truly alien to us?

>Alaska
>very recently gained statehood
>Alien world millions of miles away

Fair comparison. Mate, look at literally every colony ever, they break away from the home.

>they break away from the home.
Not really. There are still tons of islands tied to their home governments. The Falklands, for one, off the top of my head.
And if they did want independence, they'd certainly ask nicely, first, and we'd give it to them. They'd then join that nation's Commonwealth, like Canada, Australia, and New Zealand.
What is even your point? That the slight danger of them breaking away would completely stop any attempts of colonization without a One World Government? Is that it?

>What resources? Where? How many planets in our solar system have actual resources we could use for our societies?

Retard.

Our solar system contains practically infinite resources that will last us potentially millions of years, asteroid mining will be one of the biggest industries if not the biggest ever.

What would we do with all that platinum?

Electronics, bruv.

Rare earth minerals are the big bottleneck as far as electronics.

>as a species
Stop this shit only white people and asians would reach an interstellar level of technology all the other races are loads that need to be removed before we hit the space age.

Drive down the prices of dragon kibble.

>interbreeding

You can have really good connected but fatalistic and stagnant societies on the one hand (1900 China for example) and disconnected competing clusters of smaller populations which churn out innovation and progress (victorian europe). Sure the awesome blanda'd up empire like northamerica is also possible just as the clannish caucasian tribalscape stuck in irrelevance but you cant see it that easily that a more uniform humanity/big worldstate is automarically better because its bigger.

Bump.

Humanity just needs a permanent industrial foothold in space. Oncce space fuel, habitats, and ships are all created in space the bottleneck of Earth's gravity becomes moot and the expansion of humanity throughout the solar system becomes exponential. Opening up the solar system's resources will greatly diminish the threat of collapse.

Presuming fusion becomes viable in the coming centuries, human colonies can expand into the Oort cloud, which extends up to a light year from the Sun. Eventually one colony at the edge of the Oort cloud may run out of fuel on their home asteroid as many generations of their ancestors had experienced but instead of accelerating their colony inward to mine another asteroid closer to the Sun, they may head outward and colonize an eccentric asteroid orbiting another star. From there they may colonize inward towards the planetary system of the Centauri system. This process may repeat millions of times over millions of times over the course of a million years until most of the galaxy is colonized by many different species of humanity or our creations.

You're cute, kid.

Underrated posts