Vikangz

Tell me all inaccuracies of History Channel's "Vikings", Veeky Forums. I want to be sure what elements are fiction

>Tell me all inaccuracies of History Channel's
it's made by the fucking history channel
/thread

It's not that bad for what it is, a fantasy drama.

Every battle which results in a viking victory.

>Hundreds of shieldmaidens fighting in battle, serving as honor guard
>Norse nobility running around in weird woven leather armor instead of mail
>No fucking helmets anywhere
>Bjorn wearing a fucking brigandine
>Tang dynasty princess as a slave before Ragnar strangles her to death

My biggest beef is with the art department, really. It's like everybody has their own homemade armor thrown together from scraps of leather.

Those are some fine native americans

snowniggers BTFO

> what elements are fiction

Mainly the episodes.

And yet they conquered half of England, laid siege to Paris, settled and developed Normandy, impressed many peoples with their martial skill, and reached America...

That's just the entertainment industry for you, user , especially the helmets parts. Kinda hard to see people's faces on camera while wearing helmets.

Why do they keep shoehorning in these little cuck wife sharing scenes?

Did they actually do this, or is it just to appeal to millennials?

>are swedes actually cucks
what do you think

His links show that was wrong. Their martial prowess impressed nobody except defenseless peasants.

And they arrived in the Americas only to be blown the fuck out by Indians.

Hmmmmm I thought it was a recent thing

sweden died 20 years ago.

t. Swede

They were pirates, gangsters and waifs, not proper warriors of their society or so I'm told. More like peasants who took up raiding

It is. Vikings didn't share wives. You'd be hard pressed to find any society that does find it acceptable. Sure, adultery always happened, but that would be shit you kept secret. The only real societies that shared like that were usually religious in nature like temple prostitutes or maybe some matriarchal tribes, or in some cases if a guy can't concieve, a man of that guy's family may fuck the wife to have a kid.

The show was writen by fuckin' leftist.

>His links show that was wrong.
His links express surprise that a fight between two groups of vikings ends in a viking victory.

WE

Christian morality. Open sexuality was the norm then, yet Ragnar causes a lot of drama with women.

Urgs. Left one looks like she had two bikini butts hanging from her cheast. That's disgusting
>Once you've seen it, try to unsee it.

>Season 2: Oh boy, I am the King of Denmark, and it is me, the Jarl of Gotland!
>Ragnar fucking eliminates the Jarl of Gotland and becomes King of Denmark
>A season passes
>Then another
>Season 4: To become King of all Norway, I must first take Kattegat.

Why does no one mention that Denmark is not in fucking Norway, and no one mentions Gotland?

Also, OP:

-Vikings got into the Med sea and Black Sea via river-ways through the Eastern Slavic nations, not going around Francia and Spain.

-None of Ragnar's sons were murdered by the other, and in the sagas Ivar the Boneless is a wise sage whose advice is heeded by his brothers. For the entire last season all the adults say Ivar is very smart and different from the rest, yet he is written like an autistic 9 year old LARPer.
-By the time Aella is dead, Alfred is already the King of Wessex and the Vikings require no legal title to the land, they just fucking take it.

I could go on and on, but these ones bother me the most.

well, one Viking converted isn't the entire people converted

Couldn't he just buy or loot it?

To add to this. The way the vikings conqured the saxon kingdoms had more to do with the saxons refusing to work together than the vikings being superior fighters.

Anglia helped them. Mercia and Wessex had them trapped but Mercia backed out. Northumbria was content to ignore the problems in the south. Mercia and Wessex were content to ignore the vikings in the north. Once Wessex and Mercia stopped working together it was essentially decided imo.

>subhuman viking steals ring off of dead muslim
>SHINY ROCK, ME WANT
>snownigger dies
>sven the cuck brother of bjorn: hey olaf, bjorn is dead
>they bury him with stolen ring

I guess vikings are muslims now

Other people have struck some pretty important notes, but I'll add on.

Remember in the beginning, when Ragnar went on his first raid to Lindisfairne and brought back all that treasure, and Earl Haraldson was like "You realize this is all mine?"

That was total bullshit. If there's one thing Norse respected, it was private property and enterprise (... at least, *their* property. It was different when you killed a dude for his shit or took stuff on a raid). Considering Ragnar and his buddies funded and built their own ship and went on their own raid, everything they captured was rightfully theirs- whoever owned the ship or paid for the largest part of its construction may have been entitled to a bigger cut, but that's it. The Earl claiming ownership was retarded for a few reasons.

The second reason why this was retarded was that in pre-Christian Norse society, a man's fealty to a Chieftain (i.e. Earl) was totally voluntary. If you followed a Chieftain who was an asshole or incompetent, you were free at any time to leave and swear loyalty to somebody else. Shit, you didn't even have to swear an oath to anybody, but not doing so would bar you from speaking/travelling to Assemblies, leaving you at a disadvantage in legal disputes. Also, people probably wouldn't trust you.

The third reason has to do with the second. Chieftains wouldn't take shit their warriors captured, because Chieftains were expected to be generous, and constantly share gifts to the men that followed them to keep them around. If the Earl lead a raid, he, owning most or all of the ships, would be entitled to most of the treasure (but any man who went along could claim stuff as his own- it would pretty much be whatever he could carry on his own). He'd then distribute that treasure to his followers. If not for incentives like that, his followers would fuck off and find somebody else. Generally, it was thought that if you were more successful, you should be more generous to show it.

Also, the show just isn't very 'Viking'.

Real-life Norse were fairly amateurish at fighting (at least until the late Viking Age), but absolute god-tier sailors. This made them fantastic merchants, explorers, and generally intrepid adventurers.

Not only that, but themes of family, loyalty, friendship, and travel/adventure are really lacking from the show- themes which the Scandinavian Sagas are saturated with.

If the show just focused on a family clan and had plotlines like its men sailing to strange places, meeting new people, trading exotic goods, etc., or having deep feuds with other families at home, or having bonds of kinship or oath that cause conflict and drama with others, etc.... I'm rambling, but you get the idea. If the show was more in *that* vein, it would really be about Vikings. As it is, it's a poor man's Game of Thrones, with historical names and places.

There's no plot about the exploration or settling of the many Atlantic Islands the Vikings reached, like the shetlands, Orkneys, Faroes, Iceland, Greenland, etc.

And it's worth noting that S2's 'Siege of Paris' was an amalgamation of a few different Sieges, all with differing results.

Also, anybody else pissed off that Bjorn's expedition to the Mediterranean went fucking nowhere? It literally opens up an entirely new world for Bjorn to explore, drawing possible parallels to Ragnar exploring England, but NOPE. Gotta run back to the same sets/characters we've been using since season 1!

Way to many, so I'll go with the biggest

>Ragnar existing
>Rollo being Ragnar's brother
>Alfred the Great being the result of cuckolding by a monk
>845 and 885 Sieges of Paris being mixed
>Count Odo being a fat degenerate fuck that gets executed instead of a young noble that gets elected new king after his victory over the vikangz in Paris
>Rollo being offered Normandy for defending Paris instead of getting it in exchange for vassalification after his defeat at Chartres in 911

I didnt watch the recent season but I heard it was full of islam related bullshit

vikings being good fighters.

Wasn't Ragnar Lothbrok danish?

Hitomi Tanaka on the left. Anri Okita on the right.