British Columbian treaty negotiation discussion

You know what pisses me off?

Liberals who treat treaty right discussions as a hand out to native tribes as a way of being "gracious winners", in their general self congratulatory way.

Not that the conservative "fuck brown people" are any better, but listen to me.

Listen to me for a second.

If first nations treaties were ratified in a way that bound them to the government of Canada such that it both completely legitimized Canadian rule, while also integrating those tribes as political corporations with a designated place in government.

If they gave them the rights to call in the military, etc.

And reintroduced certain indigenous political institutions, such as the potlatch, into the normal politic.

We'd literally legitimize ourselves as a nation stretching back thousands of years in history. A THOUSAND YEAR REICH, A UNIQUE CIVILIZATION, WHICH EXISTED BEFORE EUROPEAN CONTACT AND WILL EXIST FOR ANOTHER THOUSAND YEARS.

But instead liberals are happy to pat themselves on the back while these institutions die out.

Maybe this is just political autism, but god damn, it would only take a couple treaties to legally legitimize the government of Canada not as simply a British dominion, but a pure continuation of the societies that existed within it's borders for hundreds of years before British colonization.

bump for humanities, instead of just history.

Has there ever been a case of something like this happening? i.e., a civilization being legalistically revived.

Just a guess, but how about the Maori?

Maori are the only people to somewhat succeed in this front.

Hawaii had a moment too

It's sad how few countries in the Americas really make a point of embracing their heritage, or legitimizing themselves as non colonial.

I mean, Mexico builds this, Canada builds Toronto. It's a shame.

Redpill me about this.
It happened in my province yet I have pretty much no idea what you're talking about.

Basically Canada is going through a period of reconciliation with the natives, thanks to the progressive attitudes fostered by our educational system for the last 30 or so years. This is happening all over Canada. Just recently, for example, Trudeau signed a treaty with the Inuit agreeing to let them meet with the federal government three times a year, and the PM once a year (wow!).

It just happens that in BC, much of the land was settled without any sort of treaty agreement with the native tribes that originally lived there. This goes against some old British colonial laws, that (from my understanding) say that any land settled has to be done by the books with legally binding contracts (despite what's been taught about the evils of imperialism, it really wasn't that evil, least of all here in BC).

Of course this has become something of a bipartisan issue, with the left wing mainly taking the stance of "those poor noble savages being bullied by the white man, we need to give them free stuff to make up for the injustice so we can safely shove them from public consciousness and live in their ecotopian societies away from our evil civilization", while the right has taken the stance of "lol fuck those niggers we won and conquered fair and square lol shouldn't have lost" which is completely retarded because firstly we never really conquered anyone so much as we ignored a British legal obligation pertaining to land settlement, and secondly seems to suggest that if natives want to be treated as Canadian citizens they should start bombing people and using guerrilla tactics because politics is some sort of weird race war.

My objection to both sides, is that it fails in any degree of imagination. Right now the government is engaged in granting nation status to different communities, and giving them rights to self government. What we should be doing, is integrating these native communities into the provincial government, cont.

As well as integrating them into the provincial government, we need to focus on a provincial wide revitalization of their artwork, languages, etc. (ironically this would be most opposed by native groups themselves if it happened), and reintroducing indigenous political institutions such as the potlatch (from which the word potluck is descended, and was a complicated form of direct democracy mixed with elaborate political theater that involved a lot of destruction of excess recourses, music and dancing, and feasting).

So why should we do this?

Because if we were able to integrate these native political institutions into the provincial political institutions, and do it in a legal and by the books sort of way, we'd in effect be legitimizing our current provincial government as a continuation of pre-colonial institutions. So instead of claiming a history stretching back to the early 1800s and the first forts of Vancouver Island, our province would be able to lay claim to being the legitimate heir of a civilization stretching back (if oral histories of various tribes are to be believed) beyond the 1400s, and possibly even thousands of years (I say possibly, but really who's going to stop us?).

Maybe this is just political autism, and taking the "we wuz kangs" thing a bit to far, but the fact that a cunning politician could easily establish the paperwork allowing for our province to lay claim to a thousand year heritage really gets my dick hard.

It would also do a lot for our national identity, where instead of the current liberal curriculum of "we stole land from the natives 200 years ago", our governmental institutions could claim a legitimate rule dating back to when the Roman Empire was still a thing.

We're already most of the way there, too. If we introduced the potlatch into society as a form of direct democracy, invested in some aesthetic improvements (more statues and totem poles everywhere), and really got creative with the paperwork, it would be somewhat easy to do this.

My father was canadian but I don't know shit about jack about canada. Is there even a political will for what you describe? Seems like none of the powerful sides want this at all.

>Is there even a political will for what you describe?
No.
The natives are too divided (and usually hamstrung by corrupt chiefs), the government definitely doesn't want it, and the average citizen doesn't give a shit.

As far as I know there's almost none. At best, some liberals and tribes are almost asking for this, but they lack imagination.

This isn't an issue that anyone's talking about, it's a grand vision for the future.

Why not annex yourselves into an existing American tribe? They'd probably rule over you better than yourselves.

Gwehehe. *silent crickets*

But no seriously m8y everything you say makes sense save for your unnerving fascination with potlucks and the fact that Indian traditions revitalized may only end up assimilating everyone into the greater (American-emigré-based) Canadian wine. I suggest you just shoot your leaders if they don't agree with your ideas, then rinse and repeat until RNG gives you a negotiator of agreeable ideas. You people truly treated your Indians like so much gravel, so I would imagine you open monopolies to your Indians to boost everyone's self esteem. Then in 50 years they will start annexing all of Canada, at which point you re-conquer them and call it "reconnecting with your past selves". And then you get actual claims on Murrica and invade and annex us, and we repeat the process with you, all until the last main in the chain is the Ryukyus Island chain.

Nah, my plan afterwards would be do stage a crisis of government in which I seize the crown of Canada from the queen of England, crown myself Kang, suspend parliament in order to build trains everywhere and build the economy, then negotiate a reformation of the British empire as the United States of the British empire or something. Once that's done, a unified army of Canadian, British, Australian, Indian, Sikh, etc. Troops would liberate Hong Kong from the filthy communists, instate pax Brittanica, and start colonizing space.

None of it would be impossible under rule of law, and I think if anyone did it it would be revived favorably, but the career politicians of today lack balls and imagination.

*recived

As an Australian, we face similar problems when it comes to recognition for our native peoples. Every year, we have a big fight over wether we should celebrate 'Australia Day' when the colony of New South Wales was founded. And predictably, the conversation never gets deeper than the superficial 'Poor Nobel Savages' vs 'Uncivilized Barbarians'.

Does this happen in your country?

If you actually give greater autonomy and power to tribes then this is going to develop into a hybrid way of law and society that can be used as a template

Believe me when I say this; you aren't the only one with this idea and you aren't saying anything new.

>potlatch as direct democracy

whew boy
please tell me the legal value of legendary titles and masks and how amassing that shit could possibly be seen as legit by the rest of our demo. institutions.
How influential would band chiefs be? Would they be part of the provincial legislature or parliament?

btw potlatches arnt conducted in the same way between the native peoples of BC (there are a fuck ton of groups)

speak to someone that lives or has family that lives on the reserves. Then ask them how their band leader lives.

It's a damn fuckin mess inside-out

>destruction of excess resources
Only in the moribund last phases before total white control. Basically some chiefs became so powerful and rich that they were all like "oh no one deserves all this stuff and I don't need it so I'm gonna burn it".

lol what kind of redundant ass statement is that first one

The potlach system was/is (it still exists in some places) a system for reinforcing status while acting out a sense of responsibility for the whole community inside and outside your family. Something that a lot of Western capitalists could learn from, instead of just amassing huge heaps of cash that they spend on kitesurfing and paying for their children to attend the most elite private schools.

Does self-governance include the ability to internally settle disputes, declare, and wage war?

>trekking through the forest
>pic related appears out of nowhere
>clubs you to death with his wood helmet

How fucking aesthetic are these warriors, Veeky Forums?

Source? That doesn't sound true to me, the west coast tribes were always rich and powerful, and the potlatch was engraved in their culture for a long time.

Selling titles has a long history in western civilization. If the potlatch was focused around a form of tax, whereas rich citizens were required to "donate" a certain % of money to the cause of their choice (provided it was approved by the provincial gov.) or build statues or donate art or something along those lines, in a huge public spectacle, I feel like it would be revived very favorably.