Hey Veeky Forums

Hey Veeky Forums,
So i started playing EU4 recently i decided to play as Castile in the year 1444.
I have a problem however,
I can't seem to figure out how Castile and Aragon "becomes" Spain?

I can't seem to figure out how it happend
How did Castile and Aragon form Spain? Because it obviously wasn't conquest.

Political marriage.

The Iberian Wedding

Pretty sure you can just improve relations with Aragon, then wait for a scripted event to trigger. The event will put Aragon under your control in a double-monarchy, paving the way for you to swallow them up whole.

I'm going to assume you're both referring to the scripted event

Instead of just any old royal marriage

Thanks tho, i'm not sure why Aragon
put itself in that position willingly but oh well.

>i'm not sure why Aragon put itself in that position willingly but oh well

Nations didn't function the way they do today back then. To "Aragon", which was Ferdinand and the nobility, nothing changed. Ferdinand became king of Spain and his vassals remained loyal to him.

The King of Aragon also became King of Castille

Not as simple as EU4 puts it

Cheers big fellas, helps with the understanding a bit

>The King of Aragon also became King of Castille
MENTIRA.Fernando podía dar justicia y tomar algunas decisiones ejecutivas, pero Castilla estaba gobernada exclusivamente por Isabel que era una reina bastante más capaz al ser CASTELLANA.Esto se muestra durante las negociaciones con Francia tras los comflictos de 1475 en los que ISABEL firma la paz para ir de CRUZADA contra el MORO mientras que Fernando quería continuar la guerra contra Francia.Cuando muere Isabel Fernando tiene que irse a Aragón ya que él era solo un rey CONSORTE

>Ferdinand became king of Spain
Mentira

no hablo espanol, José.

>no hablo espanol, José.
Ferdinand was never the king of Castile.He had some consort rights like giving justice but nothing more.He couldn't collect taxes,give orders to the military without Isabel's permission or even access to a royal palace if Isabel didn't allow him.This happened once.This was at the end a blessing for Castile as Isabel was a reformist and improved the countries burocracy and infrastruture a lot while Ferdinand was a diplomat and barely modified how the Aragonese crowned worked which was even by XV century standards pretty arcaic and inneficient

Ferdinand's role as consort is pretty clear when ISABEL dies. He loses all his rights to CASTILE and is even forced to leave Castile.Then he would only act as REGENT of Juana when her husband dies, and even then Cisneros was the man that hold most of the executive power in Castile during that period of time.Ferdinand's position in his relationship with Isabel was constantly mocked by the common folk and we still have some small poems about it. And overall Ferdinand is regarded in most of Spain as weakling dominated by his wife even to this day

Ferdinand was pretty based tho, he led most of isabel's campaigns and managed to keep himself in power in both aragon and castille with minimal support whike setting spain as the most important power in western europe. His only error was empowering the catalan generalitat which would become a thorn in the side of the spanish hasburgs

Ferdinand was a great diplomat but not a great administrator.At the end this benefited Castile the most as Isabel could carry her reforms while his husband was building alliances and dealing with the nobles.At the end Castille was a proper modern state with a very solid burocracy,a proffesional army and very efficient systems of taxation while Aragon was an inneficient kingdom that couldn't stop a peasant revolt on their own.This is why Ferdinand ended up using Castillian money and armies in Naples and almost brought 0 Aragonese troops.

The Iberian wedding will most likely fire, just wait for that.

Or just invade Aragon with Castille.It will take you 3 wars

I think throwing your armies at a country you might to obtain for free is not an optimal strategy.
I would much rather focus on conquering North Africa.

>conquering North Africa
Shit land and they will rebel all the time.Focus on trade and colonize America and Asia.The Aragonese army is like 1/4 of the Castillian one always.You can wipe them out with ease

aragon is allied with austria and i don't remember what other countries you idiot

just conquer portugal, he is your biggest threat regarding colonies

>aragon is allied with austria and i don't remember what other countries you idiot
Castile can wipe out Aragon and then just camp in the Pyrennes and win against a coallition of France,Austria and Russia
>just conquer portugal, he is your biggest threat regarding colonies
You can do that as well.It is better to vassalize them and let them do part of the colonization themselves.Then just absorve them and you got a huge colonial empire