Did your ancestors participate in any wars ?

Did your ancestors participate in any wars ?

>tfw most of the ones I know dodged wars or ended up at non-combat roles because of their ages or family's situations

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=JtHetiRybqE
es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toribio_de_Luzuriaga
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Yes, WW1, WW2 for Germany and Indochina for the FFL.

Spanish civil war, probably had a couple ancestors in the carlist uprisings, the war of spanish succesion and the franco-spanish war, since my family comes from aragon and catalonia

I can trace them as far back as fighting in the Norman conquest of England. Also Napoleonic wars, potentially French wars of religion, English civil war, probably various invasions of Wales and Scotland, and obvs both world wars.

Spanish and world wars.

Balkan war 1
Balkan war 2 electric bulgaroo (leg amputated)
WW1 - 6/8 participated (one was too young other one lost his leg before) 4/6 died
WW2 - didn't really participate as much as smuggle shit for the resistance. I think Grandma's grandpa was in the army but i don't know much about him.

Both Grandpas are in Peru, so yes.

>Great grandpa was in the 7th Armoured Division in North Africa, Italy, and maybe Germany during the war.

His father and uncle were in the Great war.

My great grandmother on my mother's side was a nurse in the British army during the war

My great-grandfather's brother was an officer in the Afrika Korps.

>Great-great grandfather fought for Germany in WWI, died in the war
>Great Uncle fought in Pacific Theater in WWII
>Both Grandfathers fought in Korea, dad's dad enlisted and all he did was just clean up battlefields, mom's dad was drafted and probably saw some shit since he never liked talking about the war

Great Grandpa in WWI fought against the Austrians for Italy.
Great Grandpa in WWII fought against the Allies in North Africa for Italy.

Both my grandpas were German and experienced WWII as grown men.

One of them fought in the Wehrmacht on the western front and ended up as american POW

Other one was a hustler and left Germany for Benelux when the nazis took power.

He was eventually recognized when the Germans occupied these countries and became truck driver for the Wehrmacht.

He befriended French peasants tho and when he got in trouble with an officer and was supposed to be sent on the eastern front he deserted and hid at the place of a french peasant he befriended before.

He eventually spend the rest of the war hiding in Paris and supervised German POW after the war who where forced to remove mines on the French beaches.

Kinda funnny thought that my both Grandpas could have met during that time

my ancestor was a torie and was a scout for general boygoine at the battle of saratoga. god bless the queen

My great grandfather from my mother's side was an Ottoman navy commander. I have a pic somewhere.

WW2 and Korean War.

Distant ancestor fought in the Thirty Years War, he somehow managed to survive that clusterfuck and live to the ripe old age of 80.

Yes both my grandfathers fought in the Vietnam war for the Vietkongs

I have no idea

Yes, great grandfather was a british officer who fought in Egypt, northern India then died in the trenches.

WWII, Civil War, Revolutionary War, and I can trace the Pomeroy line back to the founding of Normandy so there's bound to be tons of fighting along that line.

>balkan war 2: electric bulgaroo
I just laughed way too hard at this

80 years war
English Civil Wars
Napoleonic Wars
WWI (Western Front)
WW2 (Pacific theater)

My grandpa fought as a conscript in the Algeria war.

He hated Algerian and arabs with a passion until his death because from what I gathered he lost several friends there and saw the FLN doing fucked up things to the bodies of fallen soldiers. It was a really shitty war all-around for all involved.

When I was younger I didn't understand why he hated so many people (he never talked about what he lived through to children) and we argued about it, I wish I could tell him I was a little shit who had no right to judge him. I'm sorry gramp.

Great grandfather was a foot soldier in WW1
Grandfather was a tail gunner in a bomber plane during WW2
Father was a worthless hippy
I am a worthless law firm drone

Parliamentarians or Cavaliers?

Likely Parliamentarians, unfortunately.

Great grandfather fought for Zapata's army in the Mexican Revolution.
Two of my uncles fought as guerrillas in the Guatemalan Civil War.

Of course, in few wars. At least one of mine ancestor was Cossack

>unfortunately
Rot in hell. Ol' Olly Cromwell built the foundation's of pax Britannica

Fuck off faggot. Long live the Stuarts.

>tfw permanently neutered the monarchy and established the primacy of parliament by fighting a civil war that killed off nearly all of those who would have revolted in the following decades

My great great great grandfather was a sheriff in Missouri and he served as a Captain in the Union Army. His most famous engagement was at the Battle of Pea Ridge (also known as the battle of Elkhorn Tavern) which took place in the Western Theater of the war in Northwestern Arkansas. The battle was the South's last attempt to take Missouri and when they fell at Pea Ridge they never again attempted to enter the state.

It's a pretty famous battle and there are a number of songs written about it, like this one I have posted by Steve Earle which is about Ben McCulloch, the Confederate general during the battle. If you actually go to the battlefield they have my ancestor's desk on display in the visitor's center, he was a strategist for the Union's side.

youtube.com/watch?v=JtHetiRybqE

>I can trace them as far back as fighting in the Norman conquest of England.

unless you are literally a member of an ancient aristocratic family this is such bullshit

also my great grandfather flew for the French Foreign Legion as a member of Lafayette Escadrille in WWI.

That movie Flyboys with James Franco is about his unit, and that movie is fucking awful garbage.

Anything with James Franco is garbage.

agreed, he ruined Planet of the Apes

Y'know that cave painting of that dude with a stick?

Yup, that was my kinsman.

I am, middle nobilty.

My ancestor fought william walker.

My grandfather was in the battle of the bulge, apparently he sat on a dead nazi to eat his lunch and stole his boots

My ancestor was a Chinese general who led many victories during Japanese Invasion of Korea in late 16th century but stayed there because he thought Ming dynasty was going to fall soon (he was right)

The last wars any of my ancestors fought in were Queen Ann's War and the American Revolution.

Yes, my great-grandfather was at the cannons at the Battle of Verdun, and my grandfather fought in the Indochina war and Algeria war.

My grandmother on my father's side was/is a Pomeroy. There's bazillions of us, so it's not like it's a big deal or something.

Anyways a number of Pomeroys have done meticulous work tracing the family line. The important part is when a branch came to America, but before that it traces to Britain, then to France, and then either to Rollo himself or some other baguette-viking that sailed with him named Rollo.

My grandmother has a large book detailing all of this. She's the latest descendant in it too (myself and my father wouldn't be included under the genealogy methods the book uses).

I'd honestly love to spend hours autisming and scanning the entire book for digital record keeping, but that's a project for another day.

>apparently he sat on a dead nazi to eat his lunch and stole his boots
What a rude dude

yep. one of them fought for the brits and one fought for the nazis

Both world wars for France and war of Algeria (for France too and then as terrorist for the oas after the peace agreements). I don't know much about before but I know I had many officers and military medics among my ancestors so they probably participate in some wars for France throughout the 19th century (colonial wars, crimean war maybe, etc...)

Paternal

WWI

Great grandpa was at Battle of the Somme. Got bored after the war and fought in the Spanish Civil War details unknown.

WW2

Great Uncle was in the merchant navy going between England and the USSR. He got torpedoed a few times. Apparently the Germans would machine gun survivors. A Dutch freighter picked him up once and dropped him home wearing wooden clogs. After enduring the cold, sea mines and Nazi aerial attacks when he made it to the USSR delivering essential supplies people would spit at him. fuggin commies

Grandpa was with the British Army in Palestine, 1946 to 1947

Maternal All Australian

WWI

Great Great Uncle was at Gallipoli and died at Pozieres trying to save someone.

Great Grandpa was in WWI. Details unknown

WW2

Great Uncle was captured at Singapore and died on the Thai-Burma Railway

My nans brother was a radar operator in Darwin

American Revolution, American Civil War, Spanish-American War (on the Spanish side), and Korean War

Glorious. Respect man.

WW1
Russian White Army
American Civil War
Seven Years War
War of Austrian/Spanish/Polish succession
War of the Fronde
War of the Public Weal

And many more
TFW Nobility

Grandpa fought in WW1 for Austria-Hungary. Deserted the army by shooting himself thru his hand and pretending it was an accident. Spent the rest of the war in hiding.

my dad was a signaller in the SADF during the border war. he was a conscript and hated it. he was CASEVAC'd for some reason, but the Herc he flew back to SA from also contained a spotter plane which had been riddled with bullets. amongst his other stories he told me about the guy who'd shot himself in the foot because his gf had written him a "dear john" letter. unfortunately, the bullet ricoched off a bone and blasted his heel off. that poor cunt ended up with no gf, a fucked up foot and a court martial for a self inflicted wound. >tfw no gf indeed.

my uncles (father's side) were all conscripted, two into the SAAF and one into the army. The army uncle was wounded because he and his mates threw bullets into the fire for lols.

my grandad (father's side) was allegedly in the rhodesian police for a while, but they never went into any details.

my grandad (mother's side) was a mechanic in the RAF during WW2. he apparently refused to eat shellfish because they had eaten his friends who had been shot down.

my grandmother (mother's side) was in the RAF and was one of those women who pushed around models of enemy units on RAF control rooms, where they vectored RAF squadrons onto german incursions.

my great grandfather (paternal grandmother's side) was apparently an officer in the SA Army and took part in the campaign in Abyssinia, liberating ethiopia from the eyeties. I guess he also served in north africa and italy if he did the whole tour.

19th century ancestor:
Fought against Habsburg armies in the 1848-49 Hungarian Revolution - which is a bit ironic, after all, it was the Habsburg dynasty which gave us nobility. His rank was major and he led circa 800 hussars in the biggest victory of the revolution against Habsburg forces. His tactical moves were significant in winning the battle.
Luckily, he did not agree with where the revolution was heading and stopped participating after the revolutionaries decided to claim total independence from the Habsburgs. Nevertheless, he was captured and sentenced to death. This was later changed to 10 years in prison. He was let go after 4 years.

Grandfather's grandfather:
In World War 1, he was stationed at Isonzo (Austria-Hungary - Italy frontline), as an artillery officer of the Austro-Hungarian Empire. He climbed to the top of a typical Italian tower in one of the captured villages, which got shelled right after. The debris fell on his head, and he was sent to a hospital but he did not suffer any major damage. He spent months in the hospital, and by the time he was let go the war has already ended.

Grandfather's father:
Fought in the Second World War in the Don curve (Soviet Union) as a soldier of Hungary. They were starving and were not even able to write home, as they were out of paper. So he wrote letters home onto birch crust. He became a prisoner of war but got let home in the end. He was extremely lucky, as Hungary had the most dramatic losses at the river Don.

Two ancestors survive from the Bonnie Prince's side survived Culloden, several died, interestingly I had folks among the dead there on both sides -- so I guess we won.

All my maternal uncles and some of my maternal cousins fought for Iran in the Iran-Iraq War
I know my father fought in the war too but i dont know too much about his other family in this regard.
My Great Grandfather and one of his brothers fought in World War I on the Russian side in a Persian Cossack Brigade.

Grandpa served in a sub during the Korean War. Never really asked him about it before he died so I'm always left wondering what his experiences were.

Korean War, and Civil War are the only ones I know of that members of my family took part in. If I remember correctly one of my relatives served the military stateside in WW1 so he didn't get any actual war experience and didnt like to talk about it

to my knowledge none of my ancestors ever saw actual combat, my mothers father was an air traffic controller in california during ww2 and her mother was basically a secretary who helped soldiers fill out the paperwork to commend others for medals, she heard a lot of interesting stories. My fathers father was in the army corps of engineers between ww2 and korea, and got out just before Korea started. When he was leaving they tried to get him to reup by offering him a slot in the newly opened OCS but he declined, as punishment for saying no he had to spend his last few months in the army integrating what had been an all black unit by being one of the few whites transferred in. When he came back everyone gave him a hard time for speaking in late 40's black slang half the time. Also he said his old unit was almost completely wiped out in the first month of the war.

I know my mom's grandfather was an aircraft mechanic in ww1, but I don't know about any other relatives. Other than my great great great grandfather who was the first relative I know about to come to the US, and he did so to flee being drafted into the Russian army.

Mexican revolution and Cristero rebellion

my great grandpa and/or great uncle fought in both (grandma cant remember which one. she's said both)

also in my dad's village there was this guy, (dont know if related)who fought with Villa at the battle of Celaya(where Villa got BTFO by Gen. Obregon) he even had a huge scar on the left side of his head where a bullet grazed him.

there were possibly more family members who fought in those wars, but nobody alive can remember who.

Also my Grandpa(dad's dad) was the leader of a rural Militia, not in any rebellion, but because there were no police for like a hundred miles.

he didn't fight in any rebellions or wars, but there were a few shootouts because of crop thieves, and land disputes

also my dad attended a military academy in Mexico City(at the behest of his dad)

My family is made up of poor ass mestizos from nicaragua and venezuela. Maybe one of my paternal ancestors did something in nicaragua, don't know because my dad was a fucking deadbeat. My maternal ancestors never did anything relevant ever, except for one grand-uncle who served in the venezuelan army in the 80's. I have family in the Andes though, so maybe I have ancestors who fought for the Inca, otherwise I'm just clinging to mesoamerica and the amazonian villages.

I had a great-uncle that fought in ww2.
So the story goes, him and his buddies were caught up in a german attack and threw themselves in a haystack to hide. They haystack, turns out, was hiding about a weeks worth of shit.
In the end, they got captured butt naked while cleaning themselves off in a river.
Not uh, not our families finest moment.

>bulgaroo
Top lel

My great grandfather fought in the Great Patriotic War and his son(my grandfather) was in Leningrad during the siege.

T. Ausfag here, my great granddad thought and dyed in the great emu war. Poor guy came out fabulous.

Forgot to mention, my mother's side is from Indian-Mestizo-black hellhole part of Mexico, aka where no one, not even the elites are whites. So we fought for Vicente Guerrero, Juarez, and Diaz aka we only fight for fellow shitskins, like myself :)

Argiefag here, the great grandpa of my grandpa fought the independence wars alongside Jose de San Martin, the founding father of Argentina and our greatest national hero. San Martin and him were best friends. His name was Toribio de Luzuriaga and one of his two sons (my grandpa's grandpa) became San Martin's only godson. There's a wikipedia article about him: es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toribio_de_Luzuriaga

If you've got English ancestry you likely have some Norman ancestors. It's just a matter of tracing back.

My grandpa fought in the last days of WW2 and was stationed in Austria.
>hunted rabbits for a nice KANINCHENEINTOPF
>Dodged all combat
>fled westwards to avoid getting captured by the Russians

Italian-Britbong Australian here. Farthest back I'm aware of is WW1.

Great-grandfather was in the Alpini as an artilleryman in WW1. He actually lived through WW2 as well, albeit spending a lot of it as just the boss of a coal mine in Croatia.

On the perfidious Anglo side of things, two riflemen and a machine gunner in WW1, then for WW2 I think one great uncle was in the RAF and the other was in the 8th Army. Don't know a huge amount about the 8th Army guy, and the pilot in the RAF just straight up disappeared during the Battle of Britain. Probably shot down over the channel or something.

No one has fought in anything since. Tfw you will never uphold the family tradition of killing Germans and Austrians.

Great great or great great great grand dad is a 16 year old artilleryman in the war of 1864 on danish side, scores 14 year old equally great grandma durung the evacuation of als. WW1, great grand dad is conscripted to fight for germany on tje easternfront, another goes in the navy and torps bongs from ostfriesland during the battle of jutland, eastern front guy is overrun by cossacks and dragged to a work camp in the ural mountains, was in the gulag before it was a gulag, is released after the war and starts to walk home barefoot from the ural mountains to denmarks, gets in a fight with a polish farmer, kills him abd takes his boots. When he finally gets home sometime in the 1920s, his home is part of denmark again. Ww2, granddad's cousin or some shit joins frikorps danmarks, goes to the eastern front, deserts and goes back to denmarks, is imprisoned for desertion, escapes, imprisoned again after war for collaboration, escapes again and joins ffl, never heard from again.

Fucking phoneposting.

Yes both of my great grandparents and their childeren where belgian officers of the congolian force publique. So yeah worst thing is great grandfather got killed in Boma during 'Zaire rises' by the very people he fought to protect.
Needless to say my grandfather couldn't stand upstanding african individuals for the rest of his life

My great-grandfather died fighting in the first world war against Italy. My grandfather fought in the second world war as a partisan. I've also discovered that a more distant relative of mine fell in one of the battles during the Austrian war with Piedmont-Sardinia.

Lost three great uncles in WW2

My Grand-uncle was in Iwo Jima and Okinawa, and my Great-Grandfather was a spy during the Irish War of Independence on the Republican side

>Did your ancestors participate in any wars ?

Given all humans are related, yes. It's only really a matter of how distantly related.

I have no idea if there is any connection, but my father's side of the family shares their last name with the site of a famous battle some 500 years ago.

Yup Dutch mercenary fighting for Sweden during the 30 years war, got some land together with his brother and opened a Pharmacy

On my mother's side:
Great Great Grandfather served in Second Boer War, toured in India, fought in WWI, fought in WWII, then died in Winnipeg, Canada getting hit by a car outside of a legion on Henderson Highway. Dude had tons of tattoos he picked up in India, he said he had a great time during the wars.
All his sons served in WWII as well. His grandsons never had to serve, but they became cops.

On father's side:
Immigrants stretch back to 1903 from italy. One lived in Hull House as a kid, then fought in WWI. 3 great great uncles fought in WWII, 1 was blown up in a jeep outside of Berlin in a bizarre accident. A great uncle served in Vietnam, and was shot 3 times, then on his way up the Helicopter in the cot to be taken to the hospital, he was shot 2 more times, survived though.
My grandpa was gonna go to Korea, but he was honorably discharged because apparently some guy tried to cop a feel, and my grandpa tossed him out a 4 story window and killed him. Good times.

Yes.

You better do it soon. God forbid something happen that you lose those records.
As for myself, I had a grand-uncle who fought In the Pacific, a grandfather who fought In Korea, and my father; who launched tomahawk missiles during the gulf war.
I hope to one-day contract my life to the United States government.

Serbian War of Independance

American Civil War

WW1 (Serbia and US)

WW2 (US)

Korea (Distant relatives)

All of them were too old or went to college to dodge Vietnam.

Nobody served ever since, though i'm enlisting.

And Balkan wars one and the shitty sequel (fucking Bulgars).

Yeap, one grandgrandfather died at the battle of Kursk on the Soviet side, the other fought in the battle of Poland in 1939 as a fighter pilot, then escaped to UK, got integrated to the RAF and died in the Battle of Britain. From the other side, my grandgrandfather (my mom's grandpa), fought in the Greco - Italian front in Albania, and then retreated to Egypt with the Greek government in Exile, got integrated into the British Army and fought in the battle of El Alamein. Came back to Greece, fought for in the civil war against the communist side, got captured, was prisoner for 2 years, escaped, the war ended, and then rebuilt his life. His father participated in the Second Balkan war and the Greco - Turkish war as well.

Consider it ironic, but my grandfathers's cousin, from my mother side, was Nikos Zachariadis, the leader of the communist side in the Greek Civil War. After the war and the defeat immigrated to the Soviet Union, remarried and got sent to a gulag.

Great grandfather was a Ukrainian fighting for Nazi Germany. The hatred for commies goes in the blood it seems.

>tfw know absolutely nothing about my ancestors
Bad feel.

My grandfather (still alive) fought in the Pacific Theater of WWII, and stormed the beaches of Okinawa. That's all I know of off the top of my head.

>Did your ancestors fight in any wars?

Nigga my ancestors came to the colonies from prussia to fight redcoats with american patriots

1916 Rising:
Great-grandfather fought for the rebels under Commandant Ned Daly in the Four Courts in Dublin. was friends with WB Yeats and Arthur Shields (who later became a Hollywood actor). two of his other close friends were killed and he went into hiding after the surrender. he avoided capture by the British. not sure if he fought in the War of Independence or not. my gran (his daughter) has a photo of him in his Volunteer uniform holding a British Lee-Enfield rifle, which suggests he may have. stayed out of the Civil War. was denied his pension by the govt and died in the poor house.

World War II:
Grandfather served in the RAF. he was a navigator and sometimes gunner on a Vickers Wellington bomber. was stationed in Italy, Palestine and Malta. he was in Malta on VE day. his brother (my great uncle) was in the British Army and fought in Norway.

The Troubles:
Other grandfather was in the PIRA. He was involved in setting up NORAID and met Gaddafi on one occasion to secure an arms deal. two of his sons were also in the PIRA. one was chief intelligence officer at one point, and the other was interned in Portlaoise prison for three years. his youngest son (my father, who was born in a safehouse) was deemed too young to fight but received training with firearms and explosives and was involved with arms smuggling and propaganda. his wife and all 3 of his daughters were in cumann na mban.

SOrry to brag yet again but
>one of William's mounted sergeants
>valour in battle rewarded with lands and becoming his executioner
>son keeps it all even after killing Beckett

>he doesn't spend one hour each weekend looking at his family history
>he doesn't ask distant cousins their history to figure out his
Inb4 you're a plastic paddie

>Ancestor was a Hessian in Revolution, thought to have deserted
>Great grandpa was a Naval officer during WW2 in the pacific
>Grandpa was a ranger in Vietnam

That's all I could ever find out, bretty cool. My grandpa is still alive and he's fucking awesome. Just grows a bunch of weed now.

A long distant grandfather of mine was in the revolutionary war and when raiding some British supply line or loyalist business (forget which) stole hundreds of pounds of ink. He sold it all for a gigantic profit after the war and we've lived in relative comfort as a result for the past couple hundred years.

Remember, if your family isn't wealthy it's because someone down the line wasn't as big a scumbag warmonger as he should've been.

So wait, it was the same Great Grandpa fighting in both Wars? That's rad

Dad was in Vietnam. My great grandparents were involved in the Mexican revolution, but the letters I have don't really indicate what they did exactly. Some letters written to and from my great grandmother indicate they may have been involved with the Cristero Revolt, but it's all circumstantial.

WWI POW.

Lived in Switzerland in a Holiday Camp that seemed like a great place to go on retreat.

You're either from Guerrero or Oaxaca, either way end yourself you filthy Injun nigger for making Mexico look bad.

Father was a recon marine in Vietnam, grandfather was army in wwii.

Great papi on my dad's side served with the Royal Canadian Artillery, from 39 till 45, I haven't a clue were he was stationed or what sorta shit he ended up doing, But on my mother's side I have a grandfather who survived a shot in the head whilst drunk driving a tank through a Dutch forest