It is a bad idea to get a degree in Philosophy/Political Science/Psychology/History/etc...

It is a bad idea to get a degree in Philosophy/Political Science/Psychology/History/etc. online from a decent-tier State Uni? The degree just says the Uni and doesn't say anywhere it was acquired online.

Other urls found in this thread:

asuonline.asu.edu/student-resources/faq
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

As long as your self motivated.

College is a joke either way.

depends on what you want to do with a degree. If you're just generally interested in the subjects, don't waste your fucking money with anything but cheap online courses and lectures or just studying the material yourself. If you want to get a career that requires a degree in that field, then a legitimate degree online or otherwise is probably a better idea

Just for fun? If you have the extra scrap, sure why not? Having extra degrees is good for resume padding as well.

As a main degree? Fuck no. Waste of time, money, and paper.

well if you want a job that pays liberally, college is pretty much a must have

I'm curious as to what kind of 'decent' uni will give you a correspondence degree that doesn't actually say it's a correspondence degree on the diploma. Can you tell us what the school is? It sounds like a scam.

Arizona State Uni

asuonline.asu.edu/student-resources/faq

Most schools will offer a recent amount of their courses online, only requiring you come in to write the exam. It's just another course

No. Get a degree that will get you a job, or, preferably, a trade.

Political science and psychology are meme tier especially if you just plan on getting a bachelors
I'd say considering that you're taking any of them online its a waste of time. You lose out on the irl real time discussion, and since its just undergrad material its something you can learn on your own.
Lastly a degree in any of these fields from a non top tier school will not seem meaningful in any way to any employers. Do something that'll pay the bills and give you free time to read and write on the side.

What do you recommend? Is STEM/Business my only option?

>ASU
>decent

Its the more prudent option.
You can't go wrong with most STEM fields or business. Accounting is up there too.

How old are you, and what are your interests?

Just make a list of what you like, and find out which one will give you a stable career. Then take the other items on your list and make them your hobbies.

>You can't go wrong with most STEM fields
You can go VERY wrong with many STEM fields. For example, there is currently a dearth of job options for people with degrees in physics, unless you want to teach (which is a noble choice, but I see a lot of people bitching about how they hate teaching.) If you find physics interesting, become an engineer.

Also be aware that for many STEM fields, a master's degree will be the minimum you need for the actually engaging jobs.

You are right, but I meant the more technical less theoretical fields. Engineering and computer science. Find employment straight out of undergrad.

I don't even know if that's possible. Most universities do a fair amount of online classes, but in order to get a bachelors, you usually have to take certain classes that are going to be in-class only. In general, only lower-level survey-type classes are going to be online, and any higher level classes, including senior-thesis type stuff are going to be in-class. That doesn't apply to every school, but it is the general trend, so unless you want your degree to be from a state you've never lived in (which might look fishy), it's not much of an option.

>business.
Business is a general degree like any humanities degree and isn't worth very much on its own unless you do some serious networking during undergrad. I know lots of business majors that ended up doing the same kinds of boring office jobs that a humanities degree will also qualify you for. A few years ago I worked at a YMCA that hired a lot of students, and one of the part-time managers would tell everyone that majoring in business was a terrible decision, because all a business degree got him was managing a YMCA part-time. If you go that route, you really need to do some good interneships and make connections to make the degree worth anything.

And in reality, marketing yourself and networking are the keys to being employable in general. Most employers just want you to have a degree.

Business consists of so much (marketing, supply chain, finance, accounting etc). At least with a business type degree you're hopefully acquiring a demonstrable skill.

Guess this is kinda tangential, I'm currently a Junior pursuing a polysci-history doublemajor and coming to a slight conclusion that I might have fucked up somewhere down the line. Will the double-major actually help in any way if I decided to keep going on my current path? At this point switching to STEM/Business will probably mean I have to stay at least another 2 years or so, and I may not be able to do that.

That's a solid combination. Keep going, and make networking a top priority.

And don't forget to be involved in organizations in and out of school

Philosophy if you want to go into acedemia, or go into a high level postion right away, that means grad school at least.
Those other degrees are better learned through philosophy

Oh and also philosophy if you want to aquire knowledge that is worth a shit
Forgot the biggest reason to be a philosopher

>hopefully acquiring a demonstrable skill.
Hopefully is the key word there. If someone gets a degree in something specific, like marketing or accounting, they're obviously getting that. But most people (at least people I've run into) tend to just get general business degrees and assume that will get them a high-paying job because they have a degree that says "business" on it. And that really isn't the case.

The key is really knowing what you want to do, and then knowing how to work towards that. If you can complete enough things to make it seem like you can do the job you want, then you'll probably succeed. If you just go for a degree and just expect to make bank because of what it says on it, you might have a harder time.

>Solid combination
I hope so, both individually seem to be kind of memes so hopefully together I can at least get something out of it.
>Networking
Something I do need to improve on. My one internship thus far was for a state congressman last summer. Great experience all around plus a reference, but said congressman stepped down recently to retire so said reference may not be worth as much. Am hoping to see if I can do something similar this summer, haven't figured out what yet. Other than that I did get on the good side of several of my professors.
>Organizations
I am a part of a couple, and did some service projects with one of them. Trying to get into student government.

If you can afford it, go nuts. I'd rather spend that money on a car and books, but you do you.
That said, when it comes to arts degrees lectures are most of the fun, getting it online is basically getting less than half of what the degree is worth

But if I was to study a Humanity, wouldn't reading the books and doing the assigned work still suffice?

Philosophy major here, not worth the time but graduating debt free with paid off rent free housing. I'll probably just go into construction

No way man, what about the banter? Lectures are where you get to shoot ideas around while your prof cracks horrible jokes.

I studied for 3 years History and Political Science in a public university (with one abroad), then attempted to pass exams to get in one of the best private university in my country to get a Master in History. I passed, focused on East Asian History and Japan in particular, got my master and a few diplomas certifying I could speak English and Japanese at a decent level.

After that I tried to pass the exam to get into diplomacy, and failed. Then got an offer from the father of a student I had met while studying in Japan, to work for him in basically an high class travel agency. I accepted, thinking I'd do it for a year, then try the exam again. It's been three years now. I plan trips for rich people in my native country, and sometimes accompany them as a glorified tourist guide. Not what I had imaginined I would do, but it pays well. So it's fine.

Basically, as long as you're either planning to really work in that field and you're ready for a lot of competition, or you're planning on using the Humanities as a stepping stone for something else, then go for it. But always have a plan B. And make fucking connections. Always. That autist that sits next to you might be the key to your future.

bump

>tfw 23year-old neet virgin with no friends, work experience, or college education
>don't know what to do so just procrastinate by reading