You will never live in Ancient Rome

>you will never live in Ancient Rome

Why even live?

Republic or empire?

You'd be dead now if you lived back then. Dead people are dumb and weightless

Good question fellow Citizen. I'll assume OP meant Republic, that's the only time it could be.

Kingdom

Republic definitely seems way more comfy. The empire would be kind of cool too though

Feels bad desu senpai

>you will never conquer Gaul

>wanting to get thrown out from the rock for being born beta

Iktf.

Yeah Monarchy worked out so well in Ancient Rome!

It was so cool!

Its like one of those things that is so cool that you keel it a secret and only tell cool people because its so cool!

Must be why its not in the history books... comvinced half the people on his didnt know it was a kingdom before its republic.

Republic friends I salute you.

Most of you fuckers would be the lowest of the class or even worst: slaves

Empire under Antoninus Pius. Flat out best time to be a Roman. Just avoid enlistment like it's the plague.

Kingdom desu.

I can't tell if...
It was a kingdom before the Republic.
Blame Tarquinius and his rapist pretender.

Theocratic monarchy under Numa under Jupiter.
Literally such a religion of peace even their neighbors killed each other for bothering the Roman farmers.

why would you think that ? you know, even if you are just born lower-middle class in a good country today you are already richer than 80% or so of the people on earth

the average Veeky Forums 1st worlder today is actually very, very rich in the grand scheme of things
if you assume we'd have gotten this lucky back then, in ancient times we would in fact be noblemen

If this was ancient Rome, everyone in this thread would all likely be slaves. No thanks OP

"no"

The other thread about roman law makes it sound a pretty shitty place desu.

Imagine having an infection. You'd be fucked.

I would love to have a bakery in ancient Rome, ideally work for a Patrician family.

The living standards of today in the West are much better than any other time in any other place in history.

>muh living standards

Materially the west is good but mentally it's in decay.

>You will never luve in Ancient Greece

>and i also misspelled "live" bad
Jdimsa

>ywn be a qt Roman slave boy

I warn thee, my lad, thou wilt be sodomised

You will never have cute greek slave to sodomize then ask him to reach you bout works of Pluto feelsbadman

>Republic
>5 good Emperors period

Id be happy with either

>five good emperors
>wanting to live under that gay pedophile Hadrian
Seriously, Hadrian was the worst emperor in history. I swear to G*d I wish I could go back in time and see that miserable fuck wallow in agony as he died his slow, painful death.

>Hadrian
>the worst

antisemitie

Hadrian may have been a overly Hellenistic faggot who retreated from some of Trajan's conquests, but you're really going to argue that he was worse than such Royal fuckups as the cross dressing Elagabalus or the basically retarded Honorius?

>not wanting to live under Hadrian

Anyway, I said 5 good emperors. Pick one out of the bunch, i dont give a fuck which one.

What was sex and relationships like in Rome?

"Wanting" to live under Hadrian isn't even the issue. Depending on which way the wind the blowing, the autistic despot might just have your whole people exterminated and "hellenized". You guys only like the meme emperor because he built a wall.

This was some common coffee table poetry from the early imperial period, so you could say it was pretty frisky

Everybody would call you gay for fucking your wife instead of little boys. Also taking it up the butt was a crime punishable by death in the army.

Don't know why that uploaded sideways

Sorry, I'm not bending my neck that far.

Nvm my last comment, thank you, friend.

Why did they hate women so much? Why did they even have marriage if all they wanted to do was fuck boys?

Rome was a very chauvinistic society. They all had wives mistresses, but if they wanted a deep and emotional relationship, they would rape a little boy.

Bump because I'm a romeaboo

>ywn dump shit onto bibilus with your plebbros when he tries to veto /ourguy/ caesar

why, i ask you, why even live

you can be my slave, I have lots of work and could use the free labor

Early Roman Empire was objectively one of the most peaceful, stable, wealthy and gratifying periods in the entire history of humanity.

It got to the point where nobles were giving up on getting married because there was no way both of them were going to be exclusive.

>people acknowledging empire>republic

They both have merits, but empire seems way comfier.

I'd miss my sanitation and medicine

t. Schlomo Goldstein

Early Republic > *

>You will never line up under the campus martius and humiliate the Aequi under Cincinnatus before returning to your family farm 15 days later and living out the rest of your life as a hard working Roman farmer under the first republican society on earth before deforestation and soil erosion completely fucks the then-humid ecology of italia over

Honestly, any time during the bulk of the Empire/Republic would be pretty comfy unless you were like a slave or something.

You don't want to live in any of the transition periods or the Punic Wars, sure

Excuse me?

>you will never go out and get drunk as shit off undiluted wine with your bros Gaius and August in Pompey

*Aulus

empire is only comfier because it has everything that had been achieved during the republic, for the brief 100-so years before it came crashing down.

Thats enough to live there for a lifetime

You could literally just go down to the market and buy a gtpi slave gf.

Never again would you need to worry about tfw no gf

It was a much more simple time.

Early Kingdom would be gr8 if you got picked to go on one of the rape raids against the Sabines

>ywn slaughter a goat with your bros and run naked through the roman streets whipping excited young women with its pelt every lupercalia

Claudio >>> Augusto

Being a slave in Rome was actually a pretty good life since most of them were from greece and they were historians, doctors etc.

Men usually married in their early to mid 20s, with those senatores and equites that followed the cursus honorum marrying at around age 30. Women usually had their first marriage at age 12-15, although girls from noble families were often engaged before the legal age of 12 to seal political alliances. Sex before 12 appears to have been quite common and non-taboo; it was considered quite scandalous when underage brides were returned to their families without consummation.

Concubinage was a sexual relationship between a man and a lowbown woman that was accepted as long as it did not adversely affect his marriage with his wife. If he was unmarried, the concubina could also cohabit with him in a respectable relationship. A male concubinus, however, was a less respectable boy sex slave. Free Roman men could freely have sex with their own slaves, with other slaves if the owner had given his permission, and free or enslaved prostitutes. Most of the slave population was born in captivity and apparently fathered by slave owners; the use of male breeder slaves appears to have been rare.

Free women did not have these privileges and were expected to be virgins at the time of their (first) marriage and stay monogamous thereafter.

Homosexual relationships between free Romans were much like those in Greece. When a man became an adult at age 16, he stopped carrying around his neck an amulet and a pouch containing phallic objects that had signified his boyhood and signalled to adults that he was not an acceptable target of sexual advances. After this he was fair game, and an older paedagogus, often a slave, might accompany him to protect him from lustful males. Unmarried girls past puberty were often confined to their homes under the watchful eyes of the family, lest they lose their chastity.

It's also important to note that males weren't full adults until their father died and after they became the paterfamilias. A third of 25-year-olds still had living fathers.

>the past will never be the present

Why even time travel?

"Sex before 12 appears to have been quite common"
what do you base that on, you are obviously a pedoposter

ignore this

>be me
>die
>learn reincarnation is real
>be reincarnated as a spartan baby
>fuckyea.pot
>thrown off cliff for being autistic beta manlet baby
>mfw

Nice try, Satan.

See, for example: Hopkins (1965), The Age of Roman Girls at Marriage, and Caldwell (2014), Roman Girlhood and the Fashioning of Femininity, both good overviews on issues like age of consent, social attitudes and the legal cases involving underage marriage, the former being one of the most influential papers about this topic and probably the best starting point. The latter is a good book with more in depth material.

If you want a summary of those two sources, the most important evidence from primary sources consist of things like:
>Plutarch commentating that unlike proper Greeks who waited until their girls were ripe for marriage, Romans during the kingdom regularly married girls under 12
>Soranus' Gynaecology, where he devotes an entire chapter to arguing against marrying prepubescent girls, apparently a common enough practice in early imperial Rome to warrant such a response by a doctor
>a remark by Artemidorus Daldianus that a child was seen as a sexual being from age 10 (can't get any more literal than this, if you ask me), late 2nd C. AD
>a legal case in Justinian's Digest, 6th C. AD, where lawyers conclude that an underage, betrothed girl who had sex with someone other than her future husband before she turned 12 should be tried for adultery. (Absent is any condemnation, legal or ethical, of the man she had sex with).

While those were about freeborn girls, here's a source on the slavery aspect from "Let the Little Children Come to Me": Childhood and Children in Early Christianity by Horn & Martens (2009), another well researched book. It's probably also available on google books since I screencapped this some time ago. The first three paragraphs are relevant to your question.

Christianity slowly began to change these attitudes in the late imperial period, by raising the average age of marriage, encouraging manumission of slaves, and discouraging pederasty.

>ywn be a peasant son going to roman army in the third century working your way up the ranks then being proclaimed as Emperor by mutinous Rhein army only to be killed by your men after your defeat to another soldier Emperor from Danube

You can attempt to replicate (Obviously moderated and enhanced by modernity) the values of the Republic, if not the militarism, the self sacrifice and moral virtue in your modern life, and you can learn from the stories that this entire culture left for you. You literally have a life worth of chances to study this wonderful and fascinating state.

You'd be okay, all native Greeks and Romans are stocky manlets

Don't forget slavery user

>(Obviously moderated and enhanced by modernity)

I in no way suggest that the values of the Romans were perfect, they were flawed in many ways. but moderated by the morality of modernity they are still helpful to the moral decency of the individual, and to the maintenance of your own goodness. We can learn from their mistakes, and follow the examples of their moral successes, as we can with all culture throughout time.

Does anyone know why no one use this weapon anymore after Rome?
Its ability to disrupt enemy formation as well as disabling shields sounds pretty useful for medieval battles. Does the secret of making a good pilum died along with Rome?