New to banks

I just turned 18 this may, and got my first paycheck. I'm looking to open a checking account and a savings account. I work a job that i get tips in so the money is a little more than working minimum wage. I figured I could take $50 from my paycheck, and 80-100% of my tips(which are anywhere from $20 to $40 every shift I work) and storing it into a savings account every week. Then I'll put the rest into a checking account, maybe putting some quick spending cash in my sock drawer (yes that's where my money is now). I will be going to college and living with a parent who is paying for my first 4 years of college. I don't need to pay rent or for any utilities. What do you recommend for my finances?

Bump

I recommend storing everything (100%) of your wagecuck gains in MOON

I was looking at Ally online bank. Is there benefits to banking online?

I would recommend opening a checking/savings account at your local credit union. No fees plus they usually give a sign up bonuses and not only that you build up a relationship and can get lower interest rates for future things. Plus good customer service

Then I would open a dedicated online savings account with one of those 5% interest online banks

OR just dump your excess money in crypto because it's going to give you incredible returnsz

What is crypto?

Crypto currency. Read any thread on this site.

Make a Coinbase account. Buy ehtreum or bitecoin and watch that money grooooowww

I bank with Ally. It's a little annoying and unconventional to have no physical bank, but the interest checking account makes up for it.

You're not going to really make enough to take advantage of it though.

I'd skip the savings account and just open a checking account. Savings account is not really viable anymore in my opinion, there are so many other better ways to invest your money.

I've always been curious as to what Bitcoin and these are online currencies actually are. Can you give me a breakdown? I don't even have a PayPal or credit card so online money is an entirely foreign concept to me

How did you find this place?

drop the act and help someone in need, please

I've been here a few times, mainly for just tips on cash or personal finance. I've always seen threads about Bitcoin and stuff but never gotten into it cause I had no online based money

Welcome brother, you'll enjoy your stay, and you'll get a lambo at the end of the day.

I feel you. You should buy some crypto friend

Is that like an online currency or something?

I'm interested in this as well, if I wanted to have a steady increase would it be best to put the majority of my income in ETH BTC, and then maybe less in siacoin and 1st or dgb?

Don't listen to these anons.

There are other financial priorities to get established before you even put your first dollars into investment.

Do you have any credit established? Do you even know what your credit score is? Do you know anything about markets? Do markets even interest you? Do you have a portfolio planned? Do you have any capital? Do you have a budget? Do you know what your net income is? Do you know what your expenses are? Have you categorized them?

Now most people don't have all of these answers even on this board, even if they're experienced traders, but you should cover at least half of this before you consider developing yourself financially in investments.

I have no credit or debit card, have not opened a savings or checking account, and have been not even a month into my first job. I turned 18 in late May and wanted to open a checking account today. My question originally was how and where to do it. I planned on saving $50 from each check plus most if not all my tip money and then having the rest to spend (I work as a busser, I make $8.70 an hour plus 10% tips. Depending on who else is working and how busy I make $20-$40 a night in tips) it's part time. I'm going to college in the fall and am housing with my dad, so I don't need rent money or any utility cash. Might help pay for food, and he volunteered to pay my first 4 years of college. I'm not sure how I'm getting a car, my dad offered to let me drive his car or buy me a car but have to get insurance sorted out, so maintenance on that will be factored in.

Sorry for delay, I work from home and browse Veeky Forums on downtime.

I'd call some banks or credit unions and ask if they have any minimum balance required. If there is stay away from them.If there's any fees don't bother. Some banks are more for business accounts than personal accounts.

Ally bank is not a bad first bank IMO, but I think for your first bank you should have physical access to it. It's more difficult having an online bank than a physical one to me personally.

The features of a savings account for a local bank around me. Any good?

And this is the checking account features for this bank

And this is basic checking.

If you are responsible with your finances, I would highly recommend getting a credit card linked to the checking account and using it like you would a debit card. As long as you religiously pay it off, you don't pay any interest, you can usually earn cashback of some kind, and it builds up a decent credit score for when you need to get a bigger loan/mortgage etc. Only do this if you definitely will pay it off every month, else you'll just screw yourself.

I don't even have a debit card. Should I get a credit and debit card? Should I also get a PayPal so I can pay stuff online?

agreed. Never use a debit card for day to day stuff. Get a credit card for your daily expenses through the bank, or somewhere like discover that has easy to qualify for student cards and pay it off every month to build credit.

>wagecuck
your life is over at 18

I got no problem with developing a work ethic for my money. I'm going to college so a work ethic will be valuable, and incase I ever do turn to investing and make alot I still want to be able to live off of a weekly wage incase things ever go south