I believe in the tech behind crypto, but do you think Bitcoin will be #1 by the end of it all?

I just think Bitcoin has so much against it (bad reputation) and the fact that companies seem to be rallying behind Ethereum. Do you guys think Bitcoin has ultimate longevity, at least as a viable currency?

Other urls found in this thread:

ethereum.org/ether
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

If ether actually beats btc, then we go back to square one. We already lost

If tech had that much of an impact of coin price, bitcoin would be the cheapest shitcoin on the market.
Bitcoin is the proof of concept for the blockchain technology, literally EVERY coin created nowadays is better than BTC on the technical side.

But coin value is dictated by the market. And the market isn't letting it drop any time soon.

Eth will get hacked again

screenshot this

btc is the most secure chain with the most hashing power, most tamper proof, etc

if we put 40 billion into any other chain they would get 51%d

lightning network will fix issues like tx fees

This. It's a slow moving giant, but the safest giant. Thus giving it value.

Fucking summerfags. Nobody cares about your altcoins.

Yes. I have faith in BTC. It's clunky but that makers it a better store of value IMO. I don't trust ETH one bit.

ETH is not an altcoin

Bitcoin has problems but Ethereum is so overhyped it's almost insane. The technology may be useful one day but the ridiculous thing is the token, ether, being bought for so much. It's just a token used to regulate smart contracts on the network so it doesn't get ddos'd, yet people seem to think it is some sort of investment/store of value like gold or bitcoin is. It's not! Ethereum works the same no matter what the value of ether is. Vitalik could decide to change the way ether is distributed, or change the token amount to whatever he wanted if he thought it would better serve the purpose that it was designed for. Ether is not, and was never meant to be, like bitcoin. It isn't meant to be a currency to pay merchants, or to be used as a deflationary store of value. Their own website ( ethereum.org/ether ) even says as much:

"Ethereum would never be possible without bitcoin—both the technology and the currency—and we see ourselves not as a competing currency but as complementary within the digital ecosystem. Ether is to be treated as "crypto-fuel", a token whose purpose is to pay for computation, and is not intended to be used as or considered a currency, asset, share or anything else."

tl;dr people don't really understand ethereum or particularly what the token, ether, is meant to do, and are wildly speculating on it in a way that is even more crazy than bitcoin. People are going to end up being burned by this.

valuation of ETH does not detract from it's use, quite the opposite, as the best uses of ethereum are as a programmable money/asset

the token fuels the dapps

Raising the price of ether ensures that only the most quality of applications utilize resources on the ethereum network

otherwise it would have a bunch of shit running on it constantly

Ether = "what's the value of the largest decentralized computer in the history of the world?"

This 100%. A lot of people are going to get burnt. ETH the technology is revolutionary but ETH the store of value is a house of cards.

so are you saying that ETH has no intrinsic value?

So how are people supposed to test and debug their dapps if they have to pay lots of money?

on a testnet of course

No crypto has any intrinsic value and anyone who believes otherwise doesn't know the meaning of "intrinsic"

I'm glad there are at least a few sane (read: over 16) people left on this space

does Microsoft Windows have intrinsic value?

I get multiple updates daily about bitcoin while getting one or two a week about ethereum.
why not diversify between the both?

This:However I believe ETH is a poor store of value among cryptos because of vulnerabilities due to tech complexity and leadership centralization. The price right now is all hype. Look how fast it tanked during the May 25th dip compared to BTC.

Rofl, how old are you two? Most financial assets are not "worth" anything intrinsically. There's also no gold in Fort Knox and Santa Claus isn't real

You buy windows to use it. An etherium token is not a unit of anything. Vitalik will do whatever he can to make as much money as he can. Etherium as fuel does not necessarily have to cost anything to work. In fact the more expensive it is, the more limited it's applications will be.

It has the name recognition. In the end I imagine it'll be some as yet unreleased coin that takes the top position. Something that simplifies things for normies and integrates into other billion dollar industries more seamlessly.

Right. But imagine if gold was the sole creation of a Russian krokodile junkie. One who has expressed willingness to delete the gold of people he doesn't like. Would people still have the same faith in gold they have now?

>yet people seem to think it is some sort of investment/store of value like gold or bitcoin is.
We got a genius here. Maybe you should tell people to stop investing in commodities like oil, gas, or copper. Who gives a shit if Ether's not a currency? If it's in demand than it's a good store of value.

>price fluctuates wildly
>can and has been hacked

>good store of value

the allure of ethereum for big business is BECAUSE it is centralized

you keep trying to compare it to bitcoin, that's not what it is

>An etherium token is not a unit of anything

It's what powers the network.
If I want supercomputer time, then I have to pay a fee based on my resource allotment

This is the same idea, except that the fee is dictated by the market

>can and has been hacked

>this lie again

Wtf even are Dapps
What are the practical uses

The day bitcoiners use nocoiner arguments.

When the leader of the people's bank of China says Ethereum is a step in the right direction it means it's a step in the WRONG direction.

Also do you guys know about RSK?
ETH won't last

ETH has real value. Thats why it occupies 0.05% of my portfolio.

Something can be in demand at the moment and yet be a terrible store of value...

it actually was, some bug or error allowed one guy to make couple trilion BTCs or so, but they rewinded

drug market

that's not hacking

that's a problem in the dapp, which is the liability of the creator

you can argue whether or not they should've forked it for that occasion, but it had nothing to do with the network

oh, i never got the full story

HEY, what about the fork waiting to happen in august? I wish I knew about it before I went in and bought more, only to find out about it 10 seconds later ;_;

I don't even know why Ethereum is an allure for most businesses. Just because something is decentralize doesn't inherently make it better. So what, we get a decentralized MS Office in the future that runs like shit instead of it being stored on my hard drive and boots up instantly?

I think alot of it is just hype by tech companies running out of ideas to re-sell people the same software all over again.

Ropsten

I think that CORE is trying to ruing BTC ,they don't want higher blocks > lower taxes, they seem to think that a digital currency for EVERYONE won't mind +5$ taxes, thats what someone in a third world makes in a day. If miners signal bigger blocks they will do anything they can to stop them, bribe or smear shit on their name if they can't convince them

>>I don't even know why Ethereum is an allure for most businesses. Just because something is decentralize doesn't inherently make it better.

Yeah, within a business it doesn't matter, and they could shift to a private blockchain if they wanted to eschew sql

But it's the transactions BETWEEN businesses (and by transactions I mean ideas, products, money, etc). Without a public blockchain there is no trust.

Hold your bitcoins and don't spend them when UASF occurs, there may be a temporary chain split. If you keep your bitcoins under your control (not on coinbase etc) you will have coins on both chains in the event of a split.

how can i do that? is a wallet on a pc enough?

Yes, I know that, but I fear what will happen to the price of btc. I feel like an idiot, since I came in when the price was pretty high and NOW BOUGHT MORE when it was 2,4k€. Can't do anything right