Why couldn't catholicism match pagan culture

why couldn't catholicism match pagan culture

hmmm

most of catholic culture was just a derivative from roman shit which was a derivative from greek shit

it seems like everybody built off the greeks but nobody was able to build a deep foundation like the greeks could

western civilization is basically just recycling greek shit for 3000 years

Catholics are Pagan

>vacationing was super comfy in the relatively (to today) unpopulated Rennaisance Europe. No crowds, easy access
:(

There has been a noticeable influx of really, really, really bad threads like this one and I'm wondering if it's coming from somewhere specific

Behold

The first pope was one of Jesus' first apostle. Something doesn't sound right here.

Hold my buttresses bro, I got this

Peter was a liar and a betrayer

Edgy teenagers wish they were this metal

This is only tangentially related to the thread, but if I had a Christian rock band I'd name it the Flying Buttresses.

It was also a luxury reserved for the rich and powerful who you probably wouldn't have been a part of.

AYYY I'M PILGRIMAGIN' HERE!

many gods > one god

it's simple math.

>God of the Earth
>God of Wine

vs

>God of Everything

Okay

Still doesn't mean he was a pagan fag-lord.

>have a god of everything
>still pray to saints and other people

That's like saying 9 millimeters is longer than a centimeter. Most polytheistic religions split up duties so much that either important shit just gets latched onto random ass dudes (like fucking Apollo having a bunch or random bullshit attached to him) or it gets left out. One god that just rules everything covers all of the bases.

>he thinks people worship saints
>doesn't realize that they're stories of inspiration meant to remind us how to behave
How are protestants this dumb?

You think God's going to help you find your keys?

He has Dark Energy and shit to do. You need St. Anthony for that shit.

Story?

What story?

>i'll just move the goalposts to make some tangential stupid point
Renaissance equaled the Greeks easily, and was better because they didn't paint their statues in shitty primary-colors-only paints.

>hm I could pray to God...
>or I could pray to not God

The saints are our brothers and sisters who have already attained Heaven.

Do you ask your friends and relatives to pray for you? It's the same thing.

Only it's better, because we can't be sure that our friends and relatives are truly good, but the saints are in fact truly good.

Because it is a foreign death cult with little creativity?

But why pray in the direction of a saint or a woman instead of god?

A proper prayer to a saint always orients Christ as the center. We don't pray for their action, we pray for their intercession. We ask them to speak to God on our behalf.

This guy is cool

"For there is one God, and there is one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus" (1 Tim. 2:5).

Now imagine those bones growing flesh

What's the deal with all these skellies?

Christ is mediator between God and man because he is both God and man. He is the man-God, the being of two natures.

The saints are just people, so they aren't mediators. They merely pray. They pray as we are all called to do. Intercession and mediation aren't the same thing.

The latria/dulia Catholic horseshit distinction is like saying that sucking cock is completely normal and straight as long as it's only symbolic and as long as you pretend you like vaginas.

You bow before a statue of a mortal man and you start your prayer with his name and ask HIM to give you favors, then you fucking worship him. I don't care how what newspeak mental gymnastics you pull out of your ass to masquerade it as something else, it's just worship.

>praying to humans

They have a baby nook

>not believing that humans in Heaven do God's will

I'm starting to think that a lot of the objections to this are just a lack of experience. Those who pray to the saints for their intercession have some experience with the expediency of it.

The first pope was Boniface III

cut the conspiracies

But why? There's an entire city underneath Paris made completely of human bones, but what is the origin of such a macabre thing? Who said "hey here's an idea, what if we made a chandelier out of skulls and femurs."?

The living and the dead are not so far apart. We all occupy the same universe, so to speak. They're just further along than we are.

It's a very Catholic thing.

In Christian belief, the corporeal body is sacred, and cremation is not traditionally practiced.

Europe is small, so to keep cemeteries empty, you dig up the decomposed bodies and put the skeletons in Charnel Houses or Ossuaries or use them to decorate Churches.

I think the practice of using them as decoration began during the plague when mass exhumations became necessary. At least that's what happened with that one Ossuary in the Czech Republic.

These crypts are kind of different, because they're monasteries that serve as resting places, not as ossuaries after an initial burial.

The practice of digging up your dead one's bones and putting them in a box Is still practiced in places like Greece.

>Catholics
Thank God I'm a Baptist.

All these denominations, and you chose to be retarded

i think this girl has a tablecloth on her head

The plague black profoundly changed the outlook of death for europe at the time. All of a sudden skeletons and other images of death became popular for art and such, and a fascination began with the dead.

You know, I recall a letter sent by a jesuit on the matter of huron burial practices. They'd have an annual festival where the corpses of those who had died in the year would be stripped of all flesh and thrown into a pit for mass burial. The jesuit wrote along the lines of "These guys are the best, they're already halfway along to being great christians!"

In the late middle ages after the Black Death like that guy said, Europeans started putting skeletons and rotting corpses on everything. Look up transi tombs if you are interested.

>>better because they didn't paint their statues in shitty primary-colors-only paints.
And now I know you are trolling.

>>covers all the bases
Nah christardation doesn't do that. It just claims to.

I don't know what makes you say that. Catholic architecture can get pretty extravagant. Catholicism is also well known for its music and visual artistry. It's also been a leading force in theology for quite the long time. Hardly cultural bankruptcy.