So i just read up on Gunpowder Plot and learned that it was actually about Catholics wanting to blow up Protestants

So i just read up on Gunpowder Plot and learned that it was actually about Catholics wanting to blow up Protestants.

Why did the mask of a religious extremist became a symbol of anonymous fight for freedom?

Other urls found in this thread:

birdsbeforethestorm.net/2009/02/mythmakers-lawbreakers-alan-moore-on-anarchism/
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_anarchism
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mahatma_Gandhi
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

It furthermore occurred to me that, basically, anarchy is in fact the only political position that is actually possible. I believe that all other political states are in fact variations or outgrowths of a basic state of anarchy; after all, when you mention the idea of anarchy to most people they will tell you what a bad idea it is because the biggest gang would just take over. Which is pretty much how I see contemporary society. We live in a badly developed anarchist situation in which the biggest gang has taken over and have declared that it is not an anarchist situation—that it is a capitalist or a communist situation. But I tend to think that anarchy is the most natural form of politics for a human being to actually practice. All it means, the word, is no leaders. An-archon. No leaders.
birdsbeforethestorm.net/2009/02/mythmakers-lawbreakers-alan-moore-on-anarchism/

Because the mask doesn't have a historical basis. It's from V for Vendetta, a 20th Century comic book.

Because it's from a comic called V for Vendetta which is about a guy who wants to blow up parliament, so he wears a Guy Fawkes mask because he also wanted to blow up parliament.

I've seen the movie, and i remember him talking about Guy Fawkes, "always remember the 5th of November" and i got a feeling he actually said that Fawkes also wanted to do it for freedom

Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is it vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished. However, this valorous visitation of a by-gone vexation, stands vivified, and has vowed to vanquish these venal and virulent vermin vanguarding vice and vouchsafing the violently vicious and voracious violation of volition. The only verdict is vengeance; a vendetta, held as a votive, not in vain, for the value and veracity of such shall one day vindicate the vigilant and the virtuous. Verily, this vichyssoise of verbiage veers most verbose so let me simply add that it's my very good honor to meet you, and you may call me V.

Vox Populi, Vox Dei

He kind of did.

The freedom to be Catholic and oppress protestants. Whereas the current status quo was the freedom to be protestant and oppress Catholics.

because of a reddit-tier movie.

That's stupid wordplay. We all know Guy Fawkes was just a religious extremist.

Never forgive, never forget

My name is Legion: for we are many.

Yeah but the government was also run by religious extremists. As was every other government on the planet.

Is it really such a crime to want to bring down that government, and one that's the exact same except follows a different sect of the same religious?

Neither the movie or the comic book was intended to be any sort of informative guide to history.

Well imo protestant religion is better than catholic and historically if England turned Catholic... Things would go differently, and not in the good way.

The point is that he wanted to do it because of religion, not anything related to liberty.

Oh and the "remember the 5th of November" thing comes from a British rhyme "remember, remember the 5th of November, gunpowder, treason and plot". It's linked to Bonfire Night when we literally burn fake Guy Fawkes on bonfires.

It's just a British comic book writer working in British cultural sayings into an entirely fictional plot.

Whose soever sins ye remit, they are remitted unto them; and whose soever sins ye retain, they are retained.

Because people watched a shitty movie adaptation of a comic book that had little to do with the real Fawkes in the first place, and believed he was some sort of freedom fighter.

>Well imo protestant religion is better than catholic and historically if England turned Catholic... Things would go differently, and not in the good way.
Why is that?
France was catholic and had full religious freedom for everyone long before Bongland decided that maybe Irish people don't deserve to penalized for being Catholic.

>The point is that he wanted to do it because of religion, not anything related to liberty.
No one does anything for anything related to liberty. "Liberty" is a totally meaningless concept in itself.

What people actually do is try to maximize autonomy in one area whilst limiting in another area. e.g expanding the liberty of people not to get taxed whilst curbing the liberty of the government to tax people. Likewise this was an issue of the liberty for people to be Catholic and for the state to penalize protestants (which the British government also did quite regularly).

No one has ever done anything just for liberty's sake because that doesn't mean anything. People do things for the freedom to follow a certain religion, or to partake in a particular economic system, or to gas Jews, or many other such other tangible things.

You might say
>That's not liberty at all. That's just jumbling words around until you can fit "liberty" in a sentence.

And you'd be totally right. But that's what everyone to every use "liberty", "freedom", or any other such word to justify themselves has been doing. "Liberty" as used in relation to the state is a two part agreement. The citizens part being to give up certain freedoms (e.g being protestant), so that the state will protect them from certain things (e.g protestants).

Literally anything you can consider a civil liberty follows this pattern.

>"Liberty" is a totally meaningless concept in itself
"Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage."

I don't think you understand what I meant.

It's not that civil liberties are bad and society should be totalitarian. It's that "liberty" by itself is not a thing, on the societal level "liberty" only exists in relation to something else. In this case the freedom of Catholics to not oppress and to oppress.

Galatians 5:13 - For, brethren, ye have been called unto liberty; only [use] not liberty for an occasion to the flesh, but by love serve one another.

Guy Fawkes was framed.

Not an argument.

Also god probably doesn't exist.

Jacques Ellul, a French philosopher and Christian anarchist, notes that the final verse of the Book of Judges (Judges 21:25) states that there was no king in Israel and that "everyone did as they saw fit".[8][9][10] Subsequently, as recorded in the first Book of Samuel (1 Samuel 8) the people of Israel wanted a king "so as to be like other nations".[11][12]
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_anarchism

But I'm not a Christian or an anarchist.

What's the relevance of this?

That may be true, but we are still a young race, unable to walk without a holding hand. Because of that we need the gods, we need the state, we need the money. Humanity as it is now, would tear itself apart when it comes to anarchy. We're not made to live completley free. But I think we will learn over time.

Gandhi was a self-described philosophical anarchist,[224] and his vision of India meant an India without an underlying government.[225] He once said that "the ideally nonviolent state would be an ordered anarchy."[226] While political systems are largely hierarchical, with each layer of authority from the individual to the central government have increasing levels of authority over the layer below, Gandhi believed that society should be the exact opposite, where nothing is done without the consent of anyone, down to the individual. His idea was that true self-rule in a country means that every person rules his or herself and that there is no state which enforces laws upon the people.[227]
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mahatma_Gandhi

>Why did the mask of a religious extremist became a symbol of anonymous fight for freedom?

Because the intent of the doer of a deed or the author of a text doesn't matter.

But I don't like Ghandi.

What are you trying to say?

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."

Alan Moore, V for Vendetta

Without quoting something else can you describe your point in your own words?

Welcome to Anonymous, anarchy in action. Who watches the watchmen and polices the police? The People? Who polices the People then? O, that's right, the police. But I forget, who polices the police?

>who polices the police
mexico por ejamplo are a good ejamplo

i mean bad ejamplo

¿dónde está el reino de dios

Your view on liberty is correct.

!definitivamente no es

21 ni dirán: Helo aqui, o helo allí; porque he aqui el reino de Dios está entre vosotros.

>Welcome to Anonymous, anarchy in action.
(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

So much for anarchy, faggot.

Wow that all makes sense now. I am glad that syria has many little gangs winning rather than a big game. Everything is solved now, thanks. I know they are having a good time, just like Somalia and south sudan. Thanks anarchy, you save the day again!

Started with V for Vendetta, Epic Fail Guy started wearing it on /b/, it grew from there, user people picked it up as a way to show up places like Scientology centers and still remain anonymous, grew from there, so now we're where we are.

Actually, the guy who got it started with anonymous was on Coast to Coast AM talking about why they picked V.

It's really not what you think. the night before the first demonstrations were to take place, anonymous needed to find a mask that their protestors could keep their anonymity with. They started calling comic book stores to see about getting Batman masks.

But most comic book stores didn't have many batman masks because they always sold so fast.

But they had tons of V masks. Apparently WB had thought the movie was going to be huge. so they made tons of these masks to sell to comic book stores.

The stores bought them and then couldn't get rid of them.

So it was more of a supply and demand thing.

There's no freedom until you revolt against self-imposed imagined tyrannies.