Psychology

Thinking of becoming a psychologist. Getting a degree, then starting a small psychoanalytic / life coaching studio, get a clientele, live off several conversations per day / week.

What do you think of that and the future of psychology in general? The most lucrative of non-sci degrees? Not talking about psychiatry because that just means wasting more time on getting a degree. I'm 34 btw.

Other urls found in this thread:

goodtherapy.org/become-a-therapist/education-requirements.html
study.com/what_are_the_education_requirements_for_becoming_a_psychologist.html
youtube.com/watch?v=-7OgWcwgB50
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

keep in mind it's a pseudoscience in a trend of decline. sure you can get a job telling people your opinions on their behaviors and giving them drugs but the rising perception is that psychology is not a science, which of course is commonly known in academia but not elsewhere. this might effect job security in the future, along with the rise of neurology as a hard science, where they are already connecting physical data with behavioral studies.

Is psychology truly just a scam

Or is that psychiatry

Psych is a great subject, endlessly fascinating and with a huge range of possible career options.

>finally give in to my mom's pestering about how seeing a psychologist will help me stop being a disgusting neet
>cave in and go
>it's a numale two years younger than me with problem glasses wearing tweed fresh out of a master's program telling me I should try to strike up random conversations with strangers at Starbucks as a way to alleviate my social anxiety

mental healthcare is a joke

if you're not genuinely interested in helping people you won't get far and will cause more suffering. if you want to make money there are other ways.

though I agree with you, did you at least try what he asked?

Why would you go see a psychologist to help with being a useless sack of shit? You do realise that psychologists don't treat patients, or in fact have anything to do with mental health at all?

>HURR I had a sore leg so I went to see a biologist

yeah the person really matters. i'm lucky because i knew someone who recommended a really good psychologist. she was about 50, very kind and understanding. she really helped me get my life back on track. maybe shop around a bit more.

Small chance psychology will ever get outed as a pseudoscience, given how important mind is to general health.

>giving them drugs
that's what psychiatrist does

>neurology
has nothing to do with 'soft skill' aka actually talking to people

>physical data / behavioral studies
more of a sociological field

Not a scam, but has to be used on a case by case basis and definitely not a science.

>helping people

I think that actually "fixing" someone's mindset is generally far more damaging than listening to them and helping them better understand their dead ends.

No. Didn't even bother. Nobody wants to talk to a stuttering sperg at Starbucks. Would have been better off telling to go drunk in a bar and strike up a random conversation (which is actually doable).

I hope YOU realize psychiatrists just prescribe meds and don't want to hear any of your problems besides side effects, literally say flat out to your face they don't have time for your shit and to save it for the psychologist/therapist.

you're a prime example of someone fallen to the illusion that psychology isn't a scam and a pseudoscience. take a good look everyone. this is what someone who talks before they understands looks like.

read up on the scientific method, something so basic I'm shaking my head.

>more of a sociological field
the irony. you don't even understand the kinds of studies I'm referring to in neuroscience if you're saying such things, and I don't know what you think psychology is.

There is no truth in insight, much less in psyche. It's all about perspectives, moving them around looking for clarity. Freud was discredited a century ago.

>I hope YOU realize psychiatrists just prescribe meds and don't want to hear any of your problems besides side effects, literally say flat out to your face they don't have time for your shit and to save it for the psychologist/therapist.

Psychotherapists aren't psychologists you completely idiotic spastic.
>HURR I sprained my ankle so I went to a physicist

there is static neurological information when anyone commits any kind of act or thought process that can be recorded. this is the future of the field. it might be difficult to understand now, but psychological issues will likely be able to be solved with computation and most likely physical manipulation of the brain in the future. the human mind isn't separate from the material plane of existence.

Is there some sort of infographic / list of essential psych reading apart from Jung/Freud combo? I mean both essential and in depth.

I bet you think AI is coming along nicely as well.

not him but I don't see why you're ranting about other work in the field of psychology not being relevant to the thread when OP literally talks about being a psychoanalyst. calm the fuck down. psychiatrists and therapists go to school for psychology.

>psychiatrists and therapists go to school for psychology.

No, they don't. They do a one year psych rotation, the rest is all medicine.

yes, it is actually. if you think otherwise, you don't understand several projects occurring around the globe, some of which involve reverse engineering the brains of various organisms. there's a mountain of money to be made for advancements in AI research, of course it's a booming field, google is your friend.

>just means wasting more time on getting a degree.
Usually to work as a practicing psychologist, you need to have a PhD., especially if you want to be seen as credible enough to open your own practice. Psychiatry takes exactly the same amount of schooling. Unless you're reading to make a major commitment to at least 4 years in a doctorate program (assuming you already have at least a bachelors), psychology isn't a good choice for you.

If you're just interested in being a therapist, you can do that by doing specialized therapy licensing programs that will take less time.

>no, they don't go to school for psychology, they go to school for psychology for a year.
HUURURURRRRRRRR *shits self on accident(daily occurence)*

A psychologist working in a clinic has the same function as a psychotherapist, it's not like I went to go see a psychology grad student during his office hours at a university or anything, jeez you're a pedantic fuck.

>if you want to be seen

in other words you do not need a phd

>you can do that by doing specialized therapy licensing programs

such as?

>yeah the person really matters.
Why the fuck is this acceptable in a profession where you can supposedly learn how to treat people in a 2-year master's program? What other profession with that level of certification has such ridiculous variability in quality? Are these people just idiots?

>google is your friend

it really isn't, i'd need hard cold facts not from /r/futurology or 'scientists' asking for funds

Speaking as someone who actually did what you intend to... Make sure the stomach for it first. As professions go, it's actually one of the more traumatic - and even a bit dangerous.

It's difficult to put maintain that separation between yourself and your patients (save maybe among the ones you personally dislike who you likely won't see for very long). It's also a fine line to walk, as if that separation is too wide, you aren't going to be very good at your job.

I actually went for a full MTFC specializing in drug addiction, during which I spent my internship at a psychiatric hospital... And by the time it was over, I decided I wanted nothing to do with that field. Dealt with far too many drugged up kids eating their own shit, and women in their 30's with the voices of 12 year olds, so abused when they were young they could no longer tell where they ended and others began. (Which is among many bizarre psychological phenomena - spend enough time in this field and the supernatural looks commonplace.)

I thought I was prepped for it, having spent most of my youth performing the same function for druggie friends, but nooooo.... Not the same thing.

Psychiatry might actually be easier. I mean, I didn't want to know nothing about no birth of no baby and spend that much time in school (which I ended up doing for other reasons anyways), but their job is much more disconnected from their patients. They don't learn the ins and outs of their trauma, and pretty much just look up their symptoms in the DSM and dish out a pill accordingly. Their patients are more like numbers to them, and they have even less interaction with them than medical doctors.

But psychologists - they dig in deep, and that gets intensely personal. There's a reason so many psychologists wind up in psychiatric care themselves, not to mention get murdered by their patients. (I got into physical altercations dozens of times just during my internship, and broke and bruised bones in a few of them.)

how deep can you dig when dealing with patients in a psychiatric hospital?

they are the way they are because of dopamine imbalances in the brain not because of some deep seated psychological issues...or am I wrong?

If this is something you're seriously considering doing, then do some research. Because from this thread is seems like you know basically nothing about psychology as a job field.

And therapy licensing programs exist all over the place. There are usually different levels of certification, and programs that focus on different forms of therapy. Most people working in the mental health field are licensed therapists, since it's a more direct (and easier) route than getting a doctorate. Seriously, look this stuff up and see what options fit what you want to do.

so no worthwhile info from your claims

what you did sounds like psychiatry

also

>internship

not ever

>Your master's degree is where you will get the specialized training you need to become a licensed therapist.
>While it is not required to practice as a therapist, you will have to get a doctorate if you want to become a licensed psychologist.

goodtherapy.org/become-a-therapist/education-requirements.html

>Doctoral degrees are necessary for all psychologists who work directly with patients
> Other Requirement: Most states require certification or licensure

study.com/what_are_the_education_requirements_for_becoming_a_psychologist.html

I found both of those with five seconds of googling. I have no idea what you're expecting to get out of being a dick, but I'm actually trying to help you. Nothing I said was wrong, and it really does seem like you're ignorant about what you want to do and what kind of education it actually requires.

One tends to lead to another, as well as visa versa. Never ran into a patient who hadn't been subjected to one trauma or another, usually a whole continuing series of them.

I dealt with outpatients in group therapy as well, but there was nearly as much fucked up shit happening there and you generally had more time to dive into and get a closer look at it. (Plus, on occasions, I ran into members of that group as inpatients, and visa versa.)

Psychiatrists don't generally deal with that shit. I mean, yeah, there were psychiatrists in the same facility, but they spent most all their time holed up in their office going over reports and only occasionally and briefly interacted with patients (the heads never interacting with any patients at all).

Granted, part of the reason for that is that psychiatrists are much harder to come across. Generally, in such facilities, you have one for every dozen psychologists, and a half dozen nurses and orderlies for each of those in turn.

...and if you want a certification to go with that degree, an internship is unavoidable.

thanks for the information but i'd never want to deal with institutionalized patients.

>Study for a psychologist
>Graduate
>Now shill some more to become a ((((licensed)))) psychologist

What a scam

Thanks for the links, I was thinking about paying for a degree at a private yet certified "college" anyway.

To expand on my response to that, psychiatric patients tend to show up repeatedly, so you get to know them rather well. The therapy involved while they are also tends to be rather deep and intense. Even if it's more often done as a group than individually, simply because of the numbers you are working with, that tends to make things worse, as the issues then play off one another, and you're more directly witness to how the individuals deal with a social situation and perceive their place in the world.

Most patients in such facilities are drug users, but even among those that are not, you can never separate a chemical imbalance from traumatic cause, as yeah, one tend to lead to the other as well as the reverse. ...and, of course, even with drug addiction, there tends to be a root cause or series there of.

Psychologist, universally, tend to have a saying, while the exact phrasing may vary, it basically boils down to: "Trauma seeks trauma."

The degree, in and of itself, won't get you much of anything. You more or less have to get certified in specifics to have any real employment opportunities, as you won't be able to compete with those who have said. I suppose you *might* be able to set up your own practice, but even that's rather heavily scrutinized, and if you wanna be referenced, you'll at least need an MFC of some sort.

I had some time with outpatients and was with an all-student organization called "Straight Talk". While I suppose you get a little less daily trauma that way, you still get quite a few zingers. One of my fellows got brutally raped at Straight Talk, and I was lucky enough to get to partake in the immediate aftermath - and there a murder there not long after I left.

Then again, my semi-significant other was just a social worker, and one of her co-workers got murdered recently, so... I dunno, anything where you have to get personally involved with people at their worst is just begging for trouble and doomed to be in no way a pleasant field of employment.

Considering I work at call center I doubt talking to few people per day would be worse

Heh. What sort of call center? Tech support or 911?

I mean, imagine dealing with those same people in person, at their absolute worst, for maybe an hour each, all week, repeatedly... And the problem you're dealing with is not just screwed up billing or a lost password, but the fact that their dad raped them when they were five and that they in turn started a life of drug abuse and beat their children and are now snorting their blood.

Correct! You ARE wrong!

IDK man, call centers a can be pretty traumatizing:
youtube.com/watch?v=-7OgWcwgB50

You can always hang up. Not the case if you're a shrink, then you HAVE to talk to the crazies.

>First post
>conclusive post

Only in Veeky Forums, and rarely Veeky Forums, can you get this quality of contribution.

>Thinking of becoming a psychologist.

Don't. You just want to find out what the fuck is wrong with you. Do that on your own time. Get a real job.

I have no idea,but may I just mention in passing that HR Giger was one sick mofo?May I?

Philosophy of the mind/cognitive science master race.
That's what I think. Psychology is a supremeo memeo

Tech support with 50+ calls daily so basically best of both worlds + tons of bureaucracy