Doublethink

>"Heh, I'm an ATHEIST. I don't believe in supernatural bullshit."
>"But all humans have unalienable rights and all human life is equal and sacred."

What do liberals mean by this?

who are you quoting?

>Evola is really dumb
>But Rawls, in many ways the basis of modern liberalism, is really smart and his veil of ignorance totally isn't an argument that can be logically torn apart by a 14 year old with a good grounding in rhetoric

It's a deliberate philosophical position, also it has nothing to do with atheism or liberalism, you sound like a /pol/ cultist just repeating buzzwords.

Its an ethical argument that doesn't make sense regardless of your religiosity or lack thereof.

People are clearly not equal.

>a deliberate philosophical position

If there is nothing metaphysical, what imbues humans with "unalienable" rights?

Don't feed the cultists

Who says this? I mean it. Give me a direct quote.

Rawls is even worse than Rousseau, and that's saying something.

Actually, I'm in two minds about that - Rousseau's General Will concept may be equivalently retarded to the Veil of Ignorance.

Why is Enlightenment and liberal philosophy so goddamn bad anyway? Cultural decay?

Pretty much any atheistic liberal.

Human rights is a cornerstone of liberal belief in the modern age, the idea that these rights aren't contractual but un/inalienable is more of a verbal tic - the people using it probably aren't even aware of what it actually means - but in many ways that in of itself is an even worse indictment of how philosophically shallow liberalism is.

>Pretty much any atheistic liberal.

Such as...?

Because it is based on rationality, and not moral reasoning.

Atheism Plus is a pretty good example of this contradiction in action.

It's rare to come across people in the West who don't believe in the notion of "unalienable human rights".

Do you, for example?

Forward yesterday makes me wanna stay
What they said was real makes me wanna steal
Living under house guess I'm living I'm a mouse
All's I gots is time got no meaning just a rhyme

Take time with a wounded hand 'cause it likes to heal
Take time with a wounded hand 'cause I like to steal
Take time with a wounded hand 'cause it likes to heal,
I like to steal

I'm half the man I used to be (this feeling as the dawn it fades to gray)
Well, I'm half the man I used to be (this feeling as the dawn it fades to gray)
Well, I'm half the man I used to be
Half the man I used to be

Feeling uninspired think I'll start a fire
Everybody run Bobby's got a gun
Think you're kinda neat then she tells me I'm a creep
Friends don't mean a thing guess I'll leave it up to me

Take time with a wounded hand 'guess I like to steal
I like to steal

Take time with a wounded hand 'guess I like to steal
I like to steal

His strawman Designated Enemy who performs a starring role in many alt-rightist invasion threads such as this very one.

>rationality

Rationality would lead us to conclude that human beings are just a slightly more intelligent species of bipedal ape, how exactly do you get "all life is sacred and we are all intrinsically equal and we have these inalienable rights embedded deep within us that are unobservable" from that?

>No names

Post disregarded. Chase your muh boogeymen on

Your life certainly isn't sacred if that's what you're asking :^)

>b...but /pol/!

Fuck off.

Yeah, no shit.

Why do you project your egomania onto me? I can internalize the logical consequences of atheism, whereas faggots like you just replaced god with even more stupid abstract concepts like "freedom", "derpmocracy" and "human rights".

I asked for a direct quote. Now gimme.

>whereas faggots like you just replaced god with even more stupid abstract concepts like "freedom", "derpmocracy" and "human rights".

Because they're cowards who can't deal with the logical consequences of an atheistic worldview, just like you said.

t. catholic

You can want everyone to have certain rights and human life to be respected without thinking those rights are in any way "real" and inherent, or that human life somehow objectively deserves that respect.
If you did think that despite being atheist it would be pretty silly I guess, but many probably don't and just want humans' lives and rights to be respected because it's self-admittedly subjectively pleasing to them.

>All the people wanting a direct quote
Basically every humanistic and/or laicistic nation in the west functions upon the idea of constructivism while also upholding essential human right which cannot be argued against.

That's correct, you can believe in those things. But that doesn't make those things inalienable, it just makes them words on paper.

The potency of human rights rhetoric hinges on the idea that these are things humans are BORN with.

>lives and rights to be respected because it's self-admittedly subjectively pleasing to them.

Yes, it quite literally releases dopamine.

>Divine command theory is the only philosophical basis for morality

a societal consensus

I have yet to see a direct quote.

>& Humanities

>the only morality is human rights

That still doesn't make them inalienable. It means a majority of people consider them to be good, and a majority of people can therefore overturn them.

Libs being absolutely BTFO'd ITT as usual.

Have you ever asked yourself why liberalism's philosophical basis is so weak that a few shitposters on an imageboard can rip it apart in a few sentences without any cogent defense?

No wonder East Asia is winning and the West will be 90% black/brown/asian by 2200.

>the only morality is human rights
I never said that

Exactly. Rationalism leads you to believe you're an animal.

Moral reasoning tells you that you were created in the image of God.

Close.

Without God, there is no objective basis for morality.

No, you are not an atheist if you are a liberal. Many atheists these days are not liberal and many liberals are not atheists.

What's wrong with being an animal?

And I never suggested that divine command theory is the only basis for morality, but a belief in some sort of metaphysical essence is necessary to believe in "inalienable human rights" and the "innate sacredness of human life".

The phrase "godless left" was not generated at random.

I'm guessing you're a Christian?

I have orders of magnitude more respect for Christians (except unitarian libtards) than I do for liberals/leftists who mock the supernatural yet believe in patently supernatural concepts ("muh spirit of man/muh inalienable rights/muh all life is equal").

It has changed.

Besides blindly saying all your moral decisions are generated from one political party is retarded.

Born again Christian, yes.

I feel a kinship to the founding fathers who refused to aid the French in their revolution, after literally being bailed out by the French in ours. The bases for the two revolutions were simply antithetical to each other.

I love when people say things have changed, yet provide no support for said change.

The left are as godless in my country as they have ever been; they literally booed when God and Israel were (not) voted back into their platform. If you never saw it, look for it on youtube. Antonio Villaragosa was chairing the meeting. The voice vote was 80% NO and 20% yes. He said the "yes" votes had it, and they put God and Israel back into the leftist platform.

christfag LARPing as not a christfag spotted

perfidious as always anglo

I want to alienate your human rights

It really was a difficult decision to make. I think they made the right one.

>Rights
>Religion

Pick neither. Morality comes from the self. Deal with it, fragments of my property.

Bill Maher, you nitpicking cocksucker.

>make claim
>people ask you to back it up
>incredulously accuse them of "nitpicking"

what did he mean by this?

Threads don't exist in a vacuum. If you have any knowledge of Western Liberalism, you are aware that it is based on the idea of (constantly expanded) fundamental human rights. However, human rights are a moral issue, and traditionally, morality extended from religion.

Additionally, it is no great secret that the large portions of the west are increasingly atheist. That is, they reject the idea that morality stems from God. As such, they reject absolute morality.

All of the above is abundantly apparent to anyone following western news. So to respond to OP's statement that the two views are contradictory with an exact quote is nitpicking, and doesn't add to the conversation.

I have seen it stipulated before, that atheism is not on the rise. Not anymore. No because of things going on.

For instance, haven't you seen an increase in the amount of religious people on Veeky Forums?

Atheists aren't logical machines, one may perfectly hold the view of sacred, unassailable human rights and reject the existence of the Supreme Being.

>using Veeky Forums as a source for your basis for societal change

my sides

When will people stop worshiping Veeky Forums like the messiah of change?

But user, we wuz Trump's Electorate and unofficial shilling team.
:^)

When will you understand? Societal change can happen quickly. Many are religious, few atheists. Almost all of the friends my age, very kind understanding friends, are religious.

and this

And it would still be a mutually contradictory position no matter how much you tried to spin it otherwise.

Thanks for the anecdotal evidence my friend, have mine, nearly all of my friends are atheists
Almost as if the like-minded are prone to banding together.
It was half sarcastic.

WE WUZ

>muh anecdotes override your facts!

Post a source or get the fuck out. Nobody cares about your real life or the pathetic nu-males you call your friends.

Yes, that's what I meant.

Trumpsayswrong.gif

Well why do you think the amount of religious people on here have increased?

Can you think of any reasons?

In particular, Muslim posters.

Atheism has gone mainstream, we must swim against the tides and tip our fedoras in the name of Christ, The Lord.
>*muffled DEUS VULT in the distance as crusading LARPing intensifies*

There's this Muslim shitposter who pops up in almost every religion thread and uses anime girls as pics, it has me convinced that the majority of Muslims here are actually just that one guy.

Well you're wrong, because CLEARLY I am a muslim.

Market for straw must be good, it seems.

Veeky Forums's unique poster count EXPLODED in the runup to the election. That means many more "mainstream" people started posting, especially on /pol/. That includes many non-alienated religious people, and perhaps more importantly many non-Western "conservatives" who are still relatively religious.

Remember, Veeky Forums was originally "that weird pedo website where people worship anime figurines and call eachother niggers."

My bad I guess there's two Muslims.

It was never much of a percentage of the population; just a tiny loud minority rebelling against, well, everything.

It's not that still?

Nigger?

Which is exactly OP's point, and why some user choosing to bitch about specific quotes was a waste of time.

As an example off the top of my head, look at the number of Orthodox Jews vs. Secular Jews in Israel. Secular Jews are less religious, not necessarily atheist, but they look at Judaism as an ethnicity and not a religion. They have an average of 2.5 children per family.

Orthodox Jews have an average of 6 children per family. The reasons for this are obvious, and can be applied to Christianity as well. Secular couples are more likely to use artificial birth control and have abortions. The devout don't use such methods of family planning, and many think that having more children is desirable. As such, the demographics trend towards religiosity.