Would humanity be better of talking one universal language...

Would humanity be better of talking one universal language, and should the government be actively involved in driving the extinction of all languages other than the chosen lingua franca? Dicuss.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=kibGw35Hycg
twitter.com/AnonBabble

It's already happening without the state's involvement. Regional languages are all by and large dead or dying by the day. Bilingualism with English is extremely common worldwide.

youtube.com/watch?v=kibGw35Hycg

Watch this an come back when you are done.

being monolingual = brain damage

>less than 95% of brits speak english

>What is Scottish, Welsh, and Irish

Or living in an area where only one language is spoken. The majority of people in big countries are for all intents and purposes monolingual. It's only in smaller nations where you typically see people speaking two or more languages fluently.

No

>France
>39%

What about India?

>Implying there's monolingual speakers of any of these languages

>mfw my little sister is learning English as a 2nd language and Chinese as a 3rd
I don't know how to feel about this.

>The majority of people in the US are for all intents and purposes monolingual. It's only in other nations where you typically see people speaking two or more languages fluently.

fixed that for you. :^)

wut?

Exception due the fact that india as we know it was assembled from a mix of different petty kingdoms back in the 19th century while under British influence/control.

Nah it's large countries in general dude. If you have a large land area + a large population then what you get is a population that at most knows a few words of a foreign language.

OP is an undercover Jesuit.

Fuck off with your New World Order / Tower of Babel shit!

It's not happening in Italy. The govt supports the official dialects and people have no desire to spurn them. They like speaking in them.

Purely from an aesthetic standpoint, no. Some things are more beautiful in one language than another.

I do not want to meme the muh american education system sucks meme, but I rather think it is because of the lac of emphasis languages recieve in the US. of course already speaking the de facto global lingua franca and an extremely assimilative attitude towards minorities is also a huge influence. Lots of other large and populated regions where bi- or polylinguality is the more of the norm than the exeption. Many of those are pretty poor countries, which stresses the point that it is a cultural thing. Examples are Tunesia, South Africa, India, many large countries in subsaharan Africa (like nigeria and Cameroon), and I guess Russia (I am not shure about that one). I would also guess that Canada and even Mexico are significantly better of than the US.

I love it when people stick to the old fashined conspiracy theories. Really stylish.

I believe in documented facts, not theories.

It literally says 95+% though. I guess it's suprising that significantly less than 100% of them do but still.

Admitting you speak English is almost a faux pas depending on the company you keep.