Buddhism

Hey, Veeky Forums I'm looking into Buddhism and it's philosophy but I'm not sure where to go. I have an abridged version of the Upanishads which has given me a basis for Hinduism but there are a lot of versions of the Pali Canon and I'm not sure where to look. Can anyone recommend a specific edition? Are there other texts I should read as well? Thanks.

I guess Buddhism general too

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/wJUJbKqtKb0
amazon.com/Digha-Nikaya-Long-Discourses-Buddha/dp/1479111929/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1487270960&sr=1-1&keywords=Digha Nikaya: The Long Discourses of the Buddha in Pali (Pali Edition)
amazon.com/Majjhima-Nikaya-Middle-Length-Discourses/dp/1478369620/ref=pd_bxgy_14_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=GBT5DEFH9DB0DYC4NM3D
amazon.com/Samyutta-Nikaya-Connected-Discourses-Buddha/dp/1477614346/ref=pd_bxgy_14_3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=GBT5DEFH9DB0DYC4NM3D
amazon.com/Anguttara-Nikaya-Numerical-Discourses-Buddha/dp/1479112003/ref=pd_sim_14_3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=GBT5DEFH9DB0DYC4NM3D
mega.nz/#F!AE5yjIqB!y7Vdxdb5pbNsi2O3zyq9KQ
tipitaka.org
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Western philosophy is light years ahead of Buddhism in everyway

Bait

dharmapada, eknath easwarns version is good intro

Just because you don't like the people who follow it in the West or have done zero reading into the subject doesn't mean you can claim something so ignorant.

It's basically eastern stoicism with a different cosmology

You should read pic related. You should also read the works of Alan Watts and D. T. Suzuki.

Also the Tao Te Ching.

Look into Theravada Buddhism for it is the sect that is the closest to the original teachings.

youtu.be/wJUJbKqtKb0

The Dhammapada is a good start

The Story of Buddhism by Donald Lopez is the best mix of history and philosophy at a survey level.

Early Buddhist Discourses by Holder is good

Eknanth Easwaran is trash, his version of the Upanisads is a fucking travesty

is it? would you just expand i have read his upanishads, and bhagavad gita, i dont know what better version would be, i tryed that hare krishna guys bhagavad gita, but it leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Found you Mara

Buddhism's mythology surrounding deities is probably the most interesting to read about.

The Middle Path is ment to serve as a guide instead of a hard rule. You are allowed to stray from the path, as long a you are willing fronm the consequences of your actions. Basically find a happy medium between Asceticism and gluttony/greed. Worldly pleasures are fine, but the weight they bear karmaically is proportionate to the amount of damage they do to your body, financal cost ect.

If you're still here - Easwaran translates a lot of really beautiful philosophical poetic writing into earthy crunchy feel good new age spirituality that really misses what makes the original Sanskrit really fucking beautiful. I would recommend Olivelle's translation and Radhakrishnan for the Gita.

Mani Rao has a super good "translation" but certainly don't read that one first.

(Same poster) My issue w Easwaran is that the way that he translates, in my opinion, misrepresents the Upanisads; it reads to me very much in the vein of liken "wow, India, so mystical, I took acid and now I'm a Hare Krishna" rather than as a really serious work of religious commentary and philosophy that forms the basis in many ways of ALL Indian philosophy

>there are a lot of versions of the Pali Canon
If you can read pali i advise you to buy links related

amazon.com/Digha-Nikaya-Long-Discourses-Buddha/dp/1479111929/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1487270960&sr=1-1&keywords=Digha Nikaya: The Long Discourses of the Buddha in Pali (Pali Edition)
amazon.com/Majjhima-Nikaya-Middle-Length-Discourses/dp/1478369620/ref=pd_bxgy_14_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=GBT5DEFH9DB0DYC4NM3D
amazon.com/Samyutta-Nikaya-Connected-Discourses-Buddha/dp/1477614346/ref=pd_bxgy_14_3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=GBT5DEFH9DB0DYC4NM3D
amazon.com/Anguttara-Nikaya-Numerical-Discourses-Buddha/dp/1479112003/ref=pd_sim_14_3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=GBT5DEFH9DB0DYC4NM3D

thank you for your post, i had suspect easwaren's translation to be someone simplified and felt i was missing out, thank you for clearing it up for me, i will look into that translation of the gita, is their a prefred upanishads version that you would recomend, i had look at The Upanishads: Volume I : Katha, Isa, Kena and Mundaka by Swami Nikhilananda versions, but would much appreciate your recamendation, also have you read "Vasistha's Yoga", id also be interested if you know of any versions of that

Those are all in my library.
It should be noted, though, that those texts are only excerpts, and the same company that produces those books offers full Pali Canon collections that run 1k for non members and a little over 2 for members.

mega.nz/#F!AE5yjIqB!y7Vdxdb5pbNsi2O3zyq9KQ

>Radhakrishnan
is that S.Radhakrishnan or c.Radhakrishnan

he's not wrong. buddhism is incomplete compared to european philosophy. claims of objectivity of virtue and goodness in owning a set of "knowledge" that contains a lot of superstition and stoicism. the fact that it can be easily broken down by western philosophy is part of what makes it such a joke.

literally only interesting to larping white boys outside of it's home cultures.

Mahayana>>>>>Theravada

>It should be noted, though, that those texts are only excerpts

I also have them, they lack the commentaries of Buddhaghosa(which are enormous desu) but they are complete.

Pic related is a comparaison of the complete Mettāsuttaṃ from tipitaka.org and the Mettāsuttaṃ from the book.

This, buddism is an irrelevant eastern religion which dumb white people flock to because it's 'exotic'

No worries m8, the Upanisads are absolutely one of my favorite pieces of writing just glad to share :+) hm I don't know of that particular version, but I will say my favorites are the Candogya and the Brhadaranyaka, both are in the Olivelle OUP edition.

The S. Radhakrishnan one, my b lol. It's also got pretty decent commentary, a bit heavy on the comparisons to Christianity but it's solid.

thanks dude for taking the time to reply, really appreciate it.