What is the history of EU and why do people seem to not like it?

What is the history of EU and why do people seem to not like it?

Messy haphazard stumbling towards some vague vision of Europe that nobody can agree on.

"Refugees"

Cuz the elite of europe are trying to make the eu into a legitimate nation state to better compete with the us, china, russia, and probably the african continent in the near future; many common people of europe dont like this idea because they want to retain their existing national sovereingty. Hate to sound like a marxtard but it is quite literally a major class struggle going on in europe over the fate of the eu and tensions are running high.

But wouldnt it be a good thing to be as strong as other world powers?

Do you think it could work?

Its not inherently a bad thing, no; but the powers that be are quite blatantly trying to supercede the democratic process to achieve their ends. That is most definitely not a good thing.

Most people don't see the appeal in paying more taxes for people at the other end of the continent, just so their political leaders can sit at the big boy table in international politics.

In its current form, or as an actual federal state? Not a chance in hell. With the old "Inner Six" alone, as just an organization for close economic/political/scientific cooperation? Maybe, but even then Italy is a problem.

Not at the cost of sacrificing your own sovereignty. If the UK became 4 US states tomorrow, the people of the UK would be "strong". But I doubt they'd be too thrilled.

>If the UK became 4 US states tomorrow, the people of the UK would be "strong". But I doubt they'd be too thrilled.

Feel bad for any Labour voters in that scenario.

It started out as a sincere attempt to cooperate for once instead of constantly fighting each other.

Since then it has become a vehicle for career politicians with ambitions that are too large for their own small countries, who couldn't care less about democracy and care all the more about their own status and power.

I've heard of the EU not being to democratic such as they keep rehosting votes for things they want and such

Though would there be a way to accommodate all the cultures of europe into one state?

Once they are united under Islam, yes.

Stop using the word elite if you want to be taken serious

btw what you say is complete bullshit you are not from the eu are you?

It benefits the weak countries and is generally democratic so it is more benefitial for the shitholes in eu so where exactly is the class struggle or the oppression by the elite?

Precisely this. We see it happening with the fallout from brexit and the eu council reacting by toughening its stance/propoganda campaign to deter other nations in the bloc from having their own referendums. Also dont forget that many members of the eu machinery are not directly accountable to the polity they supposedly represent.

example?

No. It would have to be done at gunpoint, and no country in Europe is strong enough to pull that off. The only country in the world strong enough to pull that off is the USA, and they would have to find Europe on a map before they could invade it.

Yes, we can see how well the eu fiscal policies have affected the greeks, spanish, and portugese. Are you perhaps german?

In denmark, the EU was trying to levy some tax but when the danish people voted no they just kept running the same vote until they voted yes, vague but eh

It was started by butthurt Frenchies after they realized they were no longer a superpower.

Oh you mean the corrupt shitholes that got more than enough money to fix their shit but are still corrupt and wasted/stole thr money?

how to spot a greek

yeah I don't believe you

portugal and spain are doing fine now only the eternal greek doesn't want to work or end the corruption we should have kicked them out and let them starve

I believe you

>where exactly is the class struggle or the oppression by the elite?

How about all those people that don't want immigration and don't want Islam, and the elite just ignores them.

Dutch referendum on the EU constitution. It was rejected. The EU proceeds to accept the exact same thing as the Treaty of Lisbon, this time of course not asking the people whether they want it or not.

Dutch referendum on the Treaty with the Ukraine. It was rejected. Treaty happens anyway because fuck the people.

ITT fuck the poor Greek people who didn't do anything because some bourgeois shit avoids paying taxes

Depends. It was half CIA project to pacify Europe and turn it into America 2.0, half De Gaullism esc attempt to have a Conservative Europe of nations which work together in order stay free from American hegemony.

>the elite
who is "the elite"

>It was half CIA project to pacify Europe and turn it into America 2.0

If the CIA was half as powerful as anons think it was, Fidel Castro would have been murdered 50 years ago and nobody in South America would even dream of being communist.

NATO already kept the peace in Europe, the EU had nothing to do with that.

>Dutch referendum on the Treaty with the Ukraine. It was rejected.
what was the reason it was rejected? I would have thought the Dutch would be deeply concerned by Russia's actions against its neighbor considering their history with Germany.

All the people who have well paying EU jobs and wield power of the European people without any accountability to the European people.

There's a bloody lot of em too.

Russia?

Not a chance. Russia has a smaller economy than Italy, and a population roughly equivalent to Germany and France combined. It's not capable of conventionally dominating all of Europe. We're not living in 1983 anymore.

Netherlands had pretty cozy relations with all forms of Germany

as long as you weren't a jewish dutchman that is

General anti-EU sentiment and the feeling that the EU was once again expanding its sphere of influence while people feel there's plenty of things to fix as it is.

People are still mad about paying huge sums of money to Greece among others, and are worried about all the migrants and terrorism, and the EU wants to add some wartorn mess of a country to the family.

Could Germany at a full military capacity pacify Europe?

No. Germany at full military capacity wouldn't be stronger than an alliance of Britain/France/Italy. Or probably even Britain/France alone.

>I would have thought the Dutch would be deeply concerned by Russia's actions against its neighbor considering their history with Germany.

The Germans have been thoroughly forgiven desu. There's no hard feelings at all and we get a long real well politically and economically. Besides, a lot more people were ratting out jews than there were people helping them, I can tell you that.

Russia does not have the power to dominate Europe in any real sense, their only real ace is their large reserves of fossil fuels which they can threaten to withhold if people don't do what they want. The problem with this kind of diplomacy though is that if they push it too far and other countries refuse to cave it'll cause a great deal of pain for Russia too.

I think it was very telling that after the annexation of Crimea this was not followed up with more provocative acts, like an annexation of belarus or grabbing a corridor through southern Lithuania to connect to Kaliningrad.

>or grabbing a corridor through southern Lithuania to connect to Kaliningrad.

That's mainly because Lithuania is part of NATO.

the idea of a corridor to Kaliningrad sparked my ocd of how bad that'd look

I live in the Netherlands. Correct if I'm wrong with my observations

It was a short-sighted solution to prevent anymore wars from ever happening between the powers of europe who were involved with WW2. It quickly evolved into an extremely viable trade partnership that benefit everyone involved. Later though many of the other european countries wanted part of that lucrative trade and membership benefits. This slowly devolved into something not so great for the original members. Whenever a new country got in (usually an east-european one) they brought so little to the table that the OG members ended up having to use a lot more resources for less credit while the new countries reaped all the benefits.

You can see now why a member like UK said fuck it because it was constantly getting drained by this. Now at some point Germany got a shit ton of influence and then some really shitty leaders and decisions happened lately. On top of half the members being deadweight, because of Germany's guilt culture if I can name it that, they've decided that it was upon them and the EU to "save" the immigrants which fucked both the deadweight and the members who contributed to the EU. For example our faggot of a prime minister Rutte takes it up the ass from Merkel and accepts the treaty with Ukraine, despite us voting against the shitty deal twice. This Union is clearly not so united but corrupted and there's no democracy.

In what way could you see the EU working

It doesn't seem like the Dutch are very pro Eu

Well you wont find a lot a pro-EU dutch people on Veeky Forums that's for sure. I think compared to the rest of Europe we are relatively supportive of the EU, but anti-EU sentiment has certainly been increasing.

Turn the EU into an economic entity instead of a political entity if that makes sense. If you look at Norway they're part of the European Economic Area. Make it so there's free movements of goods, services and capital.

Farage destroyed them with banter

>Since then it has become a vehicle for career politicians with ambitions that are too large for their own small countries

This is a major issue with. The only democratically elected part of the EU is incredibly weak with little power, while the Commission has people on 400,000 a year creating extra bureaucracy layers for themselves.

NGO's and other parts of the US govt was responsible as well.

Because it is attempting to artificially force a unification of europe despite there being none of the pre-requisites for it to happen. All of the EU states have radically significant cultural, religious and linguistic differences that are for the most part, incompatible. This isn't even taking in to account the growing east-west divide.

The EU has nearly all the trappings of statehood, ie: a national anthem, a central political and legislative body, and a centralized economy. The only thing it lacks to make it true nation is the lack of an army (something that the EU is attempting to form at this very moment).

It started out as an economic treaty between Germany and France and ended up growing into a retarded bureaucratic corrupt union ran by former trotskyists hellbent on pushing cuckold propaganda and deracination. It got so bad that many people today tend to associate European unification per se with this Marxist horseshit and want to go back to nationalism.

From the point of view of a small well functioning country, it's like being absorbed by a large aboslute shit third world shithole, and having to pay for it.

>import shitters
>pay for shitter countries that can't manage themselves
>become a tiny politically irrelevant part of a monolithic shit hole
>monolithic shithole whose interests vary wildly from yours and is 100% disinterested in the well being of a tiny slab of land with 5,6 mil people in it
>have to call swedes your countrymen
>at least we get to flex our muscles at other monolithic shitholes

Being a world power is overrated, if I wanted to live in a shithole I'd move to China.