Social Justice

Sociological/Philosophical/Ethical... et cetera based question...

What is Social Justice?

Long story short
>in class
>talking to "woke" individual
>I ask if a white male in poverty has more privilege than a rich well off black woman
>"yes, duh"

How does that even make sense?
What even is "privilege" then?
How do people who are for social justice expect to do "good" for the world?
What the fuck is "woke"?

Does anyone have any answers to this. Has anyone else encountered people like this? They seem fairly biased for people who purport equality...

What I gathered was that social refers to all of us, and justice is what is fair. So they are attempting to reason about what is fair for all of us... then how does the above white male scenario work?

TL;DR: Social Justice seems to be a very flawed concept

Other urls found in this thread:

ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?c=ecfr&sid=3b71cb5b215c393fe910604d33c9fed1&rgn=div5&view=text&node=41:1.2.3.1.2&idno=41
bbc.com/news/world-australia-37640353
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

If you see a word before justice then you should always expect it to be a perversion of justice.
People should campaign for simply justice.

It's supposed to be about class, not race
For instance the living wage is a social justice issue.

Thanks, Mister Shapiro.

What is justice?

Why did she even bring up that I was a white cis male then? If it were simply about class then that would be completely irrelevant.

Romans 13:11 ESV

Besides this you know the time, that the hour has come for you to wake from sleep. For salvation is nearer to us now than when we first believed.

Thanks, that answered literally nothing. I know, its about being woke, but what ABOUT it.

white privilege is another way of saying white superiority they know people of European descent are liter gods so they try to strip them from financial and social grounds and call it justice

The unfortunate truth is that every political and social ideology there is is somewhat populated by charlatans who are perfectly fine with half-thinking through the consequences of the nuts and bolts of the execution of the ideology, especially among ideologies that are attractive to laymen/the immature (notice all the anti-realistic populists and self-righteous ideologues who see themselves as above debate around?). If the extent of your understanding of socioeconomic dynamics is "white people have more opportunities than black people" without fully understanding what the nature of massive generalizations, it would be understandable to have such obvious gaps in your logic. The real question is why do people stop at such arbitrary parts, and why are they blind to those gaps?

Your story seems a little fishy but the idea is that a well off black woman still has to deal with racial and gender discrimination whereas the white male does not. Wealth is irrelevant to the discussion.

The way I've understood it is it's basically progressivism trying to take a shortcut.

The end goal of progressivism has been to create an equal world, but SocJus basically tries to Condecend the bigotry out of people, instead of promote the raw understanding that makes people go out of their way to actually care about another person.

I can know what it's like to be black and be called a nigger, but I can TRY to understand, do the whole " walk a mile in someone's shoes" as Atticus Finch would put it. Then I, to the best of my ability, can empathise from a position of understanding.

SocJus is skipping the part where understand is king. There's too many that have this idea that "they don't need to explain to you" why the they're right, why what you might say or do is discriminatory. That they don't need you to empathise with a basis of understanding, that they're content as long as you kiss ass.

I'm fine with the idea of white privilige, it's nothing new, it's the idea that it's some hivemind shit, or that it overrides individualism that I have a problem with. I see minorites claim that they can't embrace individualism because they are burdened by a collective identity. They're not entirely wrong but are totally fucking spooked.

The way it's going to be fought is just as bad. Since alot of white people have adopted a white collective identity in response to SocJus, they now have the perfect strawman to keep minorities from liberating themselves from collectivism all together.

I'm a liberal, and it's our burden really. Trump won't get rid of these people, it's gonna take the left organising a new pragmatic approach to issues of identity to get things back on track.

I think the issue is that at a certain point, money and power assert themselves over issues like race.

>everyone else is just jealous of white people

really makes you think

Edit:
*can't know what it's like

It may well seem fishy but I promise you thats exactly how it went down, sitting in ethics class so it was on topic.

So wealth is irrelevant then? That seems like a huge contradiction... Another user said it was about class, if it IS about class then then the case would be that she is fine.

Either way, wealth plays a part in culture, racial and gender discrimination withstanding, from a pragmatic standpoint, so I disagree, it is relevant.

Social justice is just misplaced frustration at systemic oppression. It's the same reason why any identity politics take off. The left has "Muh ebil white people, muh privelege, my 1231231 genders, etc." and the right has "muh degeneracy, muh race mixing, etc."

In reality it's just distraction created by wealthy elites so we can all fight amongst each other while they hoard more and more of the worlds capital.

I got guns in my head and they won't go
Spirits in my head and they won't go
But the gun still rattles
The gun still rattles, oh

I don't necessarily agree with it, I was just trying to convey what I suppose her point was. I would term wealth a privilege in itself.

Sorry, don't mean to be combative. If wealth is a privilege in itself, then wouldn't dismissing its existence as a whole be a huge error in assisting in broadening other's ideals.

I should clarify that if social justice WERE about the equality of people as it would purport, then I support it, however I argue that since people are naturally flawed the idea of social justice seems like a huge leap from a deductively sound argument/rationality, like had mentioned

Kill yourself, commie.

As a fellow liberal, its a tough lot to be in aint it. So much of the problems which incite rage between the SocJus / institutional Democrats and the Trump-kinds / new nationalist thought is basically failure of communication.

At times it feels so hopeless since the voices that shout the loudest prove themselves to be ill-versed and grossly misguided. Human I guess.

Part of me hopes SocJus will be looked back at like the hippie movement. Its more of a fashion statement than anything concrete, though its infuriating that it hijacks such noble academic pursuits and works into materials of consumption for some commercial ideology.

Also whats that gif from?

i think that its because as a member of the dominant, numerically superior, and ruling race in the country, he is "privileged" as being accepted by all who see him as somehow better then those who do not belong to that same race.

There is no reason for any sane white person in this country to be poor. The same can be said for any other race, but this goes more so for whites because they literally run everything.

If for whatever reason the well-off black lady had to apply for a job and the poor white guy had to apply for the same job before even looking at resumes before any investigation into the situation who do you think would be most likely to get hired? The black woman's name alone might be cause for discrimination if it was some stereotypically ghetto Shaniqua type name, even though the woman might be well educated and rich there is a host of associations that accompany certain types of names (nonwhite).
Immediately she must be lazy, have an attitude, be confrontational, Etc, and all the other negative connotations ago along with it. Meanwhile without knowing the white guy at all he's assumed to be somehow more competent, easier to get along with, and just more likely to be given a chance. Think about it. If the roles were reversed and the majority in the country was black and the country was only 13% White could you imagine the privilege of being black would carry?

Virtue signalling is the best way to describe it, they want to feel like they're in the 60s campaigning for civil rights.
Discussing white people with them is like discussing blacks with a kkk member, they think privilege is some magical aura that beats minorities and women their whole life and it explains all their failures for them.

>the right has "muh degeneracy, muh race mixing, etc."
I was going to disagree with you but no, that genuinely is /pol/'s understanding of it.

FUCK OFF

>There is no reason for any sane white person in this country to be poor... etc

I... What? What are you basing that fact on? That's a pretty poor argument without some valid premises.

Your former argument is based solely off the idea that the person hiring them has some sort of racial bias, which may or may not be true, its a particularity. Negative connotations only go so far as to reflect the individual making those assumptions, not the individual who supposedly represents them. The problem then is that the person who is judging the other and is in power is bigoted to X extent, and that has a negative effect on society, but what can we DO about it from a practical standpoint? Also in this case they wouldn't be connotations, thats just blatant misguidedness (not necessarily racism).

you seem very well read

>I... What?
>reddit spacing
>reddit argumentation
YOU HAVE TO GO BACK

Not actually addressing the argument at all by attacking the individual who gave the argument, good job, never seen that one before.

Humanities shit shouldn't be discussed here, it should be merged with Veeky Forums where it belongs.

The problem with the collective identity thing is that its not the only thing keeping them down. It's the justice system, the prison system, and socioeconomics as well. If you're from the hood, the chances of you making it out just aren't good. I've been to a black public schools and they are run as if they were prisons, not learning facilities. Education in America in general is in complete shambles, but its definitely worse in the poorer schools. The system is not designed to foster students' interests so its only natural that most do not take school seriously. There are no good jobs around the hood either. Survival in the hood comes first and foremost. It's no wonder that they gravitate to sports and rapping their way out.

Black people are easy targets for the justice system as well. They get racially profiled, receive proportionally harsher sentences, and are locked away without much fuss because nobody cares about the hood. Plus if you follow the New Jim Crow Laws, the history of the 13th amendment, and the prison complex system, you'll know exactly why more and more prisons are popping up. They're basically work camps.

I used to be hardcore believer in individualism, but I'd argue that it is the system that creates the individual, not the other way around.

You've got parts of it down, but you can't ignore the black family.

Black America went from a 20% out of wedlock birth rate in 1960 to more than 70% today.

That statistic in and of itself damn near undid the civil rights movement in terms of practical results.

It's marxism, plain and simple.

This.

>There is no reason for any sane white person in this country to be poor. The same can be said for any other race, but this goes more so for whites because they literally run everything.

Firstly on the inflammatory language, do you know how many more people you'd reach if you'd spoken more accurately rather than this clickbait "There is no reason for any sane white person in this country to be poor" shit?

The white has the same reason to be poor as any other, as you said. But I agree, certain barriers resulting in poverty will not typically encounter him (racism, sexism if male).

This is because economic oppression is the greater issue which oppresses most widely. Class is at the foundation. Honestly, if we were to compare a poor black and a poor white, can we really say race is the largest concern for the black? Class status discrimination is the largest concern for both of them as it disenfranchises them from the social power that can combat most prejudice: wealth.

I get those things you mentioned exists, and by no way am I justifying them, but people from this perspective fail to realize that these things coexist (and are usually rooted in) class and economic oppression. How can you REALLY say that a rich black woman is more oppressed than a poor white man when the former has overcome the greatest oppressive force existing?

Damn thats good. I agree in that the greatest oppressive force is the mismanagement of wealth (however you may come to understand it). Wouldn't that mean that economic oppression is at the foundation, not class?

I know what you mean. It feels like if /pol/ gets its wish and gets a race war, even if it's a small one, of tiny subsets of people, it's gonna be literally nothing more than a flame war with actual violence. Just completely stupid in every which way.

It's from pic in pic related. Best anime about self actualization, Schopenhauer, and mental illness to ever be completely undermined in its message by waifuwars. It brilliant but goddamn it the fanbase is a culture war into itself.

Class is the social symptom of economic inequality. Stratification and grouping is the natural result of any inequality (ex. "intellectuals" as a group formed by education inequality, which I think is a valid inequality).

Hopefully you're the same person I was responding too, I hope I wasn't too offputting with the clickbait comment. In criticizing harsh language I succumbed to it.

Thanks so much for the recommendation and validation lol. Hard life. Ultimately I blame the abandonment of philosophy and critical faculties as a central study in school. I know I sound like a fag when I say it but its true.

And I am a full believer IN fixing those issues anyway possible, the problem is that in these people's rage, so much of public goodwill has been diminished. BLM isn't lashing out at the systemic problems as much as they are accusing your average white person of being complicit in oppression.

I'll have genuinely racist thoughts or instincts that I suppress because I know it's the illogical lizard in my brain saying them, not me, not the rational human part of me. I think I can go ahead and say that most white people are too busy drowning in their own problems and insecurities to take time out of their day to actively oppress people, unlike what some SocJus groups would imply.

They've embraced pride in their collective victim hood, and now are proud to entrench collective victim hood onto groups like the new white nationalists who simply came together because they felt they were unjustly blamed for causing the sins of the world. Now they're both primed to sin together, in each other's direction.

SJW movement is a pointless virtue signaling movement. Don't buy into this shit OP.

Look how they react to Milo. A gay libertarian Jew that sucks black cock. Anyone that goes against this ideology is fascist according to SJWs

I think this is the biggest issue:

Progressives think they can divide and conquer to fix the issues of minorities, especially poor minorities. That they need to fix/ pander to groups individually before they can focus on class issues.

But they don't understand that doing this means that groups start fighting over scraps, start fighting for their own group, CREATES an atmosphere of competition and balkanizes the lower and middle classes.

Now people are only looking out for their own, instead of redefining what their "own" is.

Shit I've always said, Bible fucking southerners are literally some of the most genuinely polite and kind people around, liberals just need to get them to redefine what qualifies as a "person."

Also watch the series from the 90s and the film ending which is in that picture, not the dumbed down sequel movies. Subbed has fantastic acting that smashes through a language barrier like a freight train.

As a southerner I'll at least attest to "southern hospitality" being a very duplicitous thing lol. It definitely exists, but lets not mistake it for genuine. But thats another fun convo for another time.

I will say, however, that you can hold a great conversation with a lot of them. I think what a lot of liberals have trouble with is that the rural/bluecollar population (abundant in the south) is so steeped in real experience and work that they become dauntingly authentic. Its almost a philosophical notion really, these people seem so fundamentally changed by their culture of experience, tradition and rites of passage. Probably something Heidegger would be appreciative of.

That being said I would sooner blast to the moon those jacked-up-truck tobacco-dipping fucks than have a conversation with them. The critical ones are alright, the rest are farcical.

So, the series -> death+rebirth -> end of evangelion?

Social Justiceā„¢ is the irl version of Newspeak and Doublethink.

In other words it is politically charged sophistry.

>rich black female
>will be discriminated based on her gender, not offered jobs because of her race and gets paid less just for being a women
>people will also trust her less because she is black

>poor white male
>can find a job
>everyone trusts him
>gets paid a good wage

In the end the poor white man will become rich due to the advantages of his privilege and the black female will become poor due to the disadvantages of her oppression.

ok i will bite

how is she rich if she is discriminated against?

Find a better bait.

>In the end the poor white man will become rich due to the advantages of his privilege and the black female will become poor due to the disadvantages of her oppression.

That's completely hypothetical, and if you don't agree, plausible, but not probable.

White people will pay money to hear black voices sing, act or play sports. Black people are basically slaves to white people's wealth. In a communist society we wouldn't have this problem because the wealth would be distributed equally.

>no argument so i'll call it bait

There is an argument here actually, but its completely erroneous.

>Black people are slaves to white people's wealth

There is so much wrongness in that statement alone I don't even know where to begin

What about all the black professionals who benefit from affirmative action?

You haven't made an argument either, reddit. You said poor white people will just magically become rich. If that's the case then white multigenerational poverty in Appalachia, Rust Belt and the South wouldn't be a thing.

I'm genuinely fucking wondering whether some people are just trained to ignore Jewishness or they're just too dumb to notice it.

>sing, act, play sports
Most sports teams are owned by Jews. Hollywood is completely Jewish. The music industry is also in Jewish hands. Blame the Jews, not "whites" for this fuckery.

>there is so much wrong with your argument i won't even reply
you just can't admit i'm right.

White privilege exists and marxism is the cure.

>affirmative action
Affirmative action is extremely overblown by shitlords and white supremacists. It doesn't actually exist.

The poorest white man can become richer than the richest black man just because of the color of his skin. Black people can't even become rich unless white people want them to. Black people are slaves to the white capitalist man's wealth.

A lot of poor whites are also taught to hate minorities by the rich so that the rich can keep them poor because they will never discover the real problem which is the rich not PoC.

Go back to /pol/ delusional white supremacist

>being this obvious
Ya blew it /pol/

Now that's a big bait.

>being this obvious
Ya blew it /pol/

The only reason you call it bait is because you have no argument.

I can prove that it exists:

ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?c=ecfr&sid=3b71cb5b215c393fe910604d33c9fed1&rgn=div5&view=text&node=41:1.2.3.1.2&idno=41

Fine.

>Black people are slaves to white people's wealth

Firstly, you have no definitive proof to back up your claim.

Secondly, your claim assumes that slavery is still happening, which is completely false considering it was abolished over one hundred years ago.

Thirdly, the disadvantages of the black woman's oppression is a hypothetical situation that YOU yourself made up, making this a round argument.

Fourthly, you made a crass assumption that EVERY white male can find a job and EVERY black female will be discriminated against, which is simply not true.

You see how this works? You see how language and argumentation works?

Go back to leftypol

Stop replying to this shit bait for fuck's sake. Are you new here?

>ignoring ideas makes them go away.

White people continue slavery silently. "abolishing" slavery was just a way to calm dissent, PoC are still systematically oppressed.

For example, the only way a PoC can get rich is through sports, acting and singing stuff that white people like to watch PoC do. They are literally slaves.

I propose we form a stateless society where everyone is equal no matter their race and white privilege has been erased through proper education. Also the wealth from the top 1% must be redistributed to the proletariat.

Go back to /pol/

I have no argument so it's bait

You can't get rid of the truth. Capitalism is failing and Marxism will take it's place. That's what happened to feudalism and the God Emperors before it.

meant to greentext the second to last bit

>the only way a PoC can get rich is through sports, acting and singing

They get rich from entertainment for white people. Literal slaves.

>the only way a PoC can get rich is through sports, acting and singing stuff

you are objectively wrong, and are disproven by black lawyers, judges, senators... et cetera

If Hollywood studios were owned by Mickey O'Sullivan and Colin Murphy, everyone would agree they're controlled by the Irish, yet when it's the Jews pointing it out makes you a nazi.

They also get rich for performing surgeries and filing complaints.

They keep up the facade that way. The majority of rich black people are in the entertainment industry.

if /pol/tards started saying hollywood was controlled by the irish because of their last names that would not change their bigotry and they would probably even support it because the Irish are white

>The majority of rich black people are in the entertainment industry.

Again, objectively wrong

Its hard because I know you're not being serious, but I really don't want you to get the last word. Trolls truly are the masters of the internet.

>knows im right so it must be bait

>The majority of rich black people are in the entertainment industry.

u str8 trippin fool

>knows im right so it must be bait

No, I said you're objectively wrong. Do you know what that means?

>Do you even understand the english language?

The thing about the social justice movement that really irks me is this sense of scorekeeping of everyone's hardships and difficulties, and the hypocrisy of people telling you not to generalize or stereotype when they do the same.

There's also a problem, in my mind, of seeing personal hardships as something skin deep.

I'm a white guy, but I have a disability that impacts my quality of life by a decent amount. I also have past abuse that still bothers me. And other things.

To social justice people, I'm just a white guy who has never experienced hardship, so my opinions about matters are invalid. Because I have no authority in their eyes.

It's really fucked up to me that I don't think you can seem to have authority to social justice people unless you martyr yourself and confess all of your personal hardships.

If you watch the director's cut of the series and end of eva, that'll give you everything. Look on nyaa for a release by a guy named Sephirotic, it's got everything.

>The thing about the social justice movement that really irks me is this sense of scorekeeping of everyone's hardships and difficulties, and the hypocrisy of people telling you not to generalize or stereotype when they do the same.

>There's also a problem, in my mind, of seeing personal hardships as something skin deep.

Hmm, interesting, could make a really good point.

>I'm a white guy

Stopped reading right here.

It started in pseudo-Marxist academic circles. It's based on some amount of truth, but in classic leftist fashion it presents a problem without any realistic solutions, because Marxists are retarded utopians. Here in the last decade or so it's become trendy and inevitably the average pleb takes things too far and the entire thing spirals out of control.

I was reading through this thread and it was so nice to see people debating and no one was being antagonistic and both trolls and pols were not prominent until this guy had to go and ruin it.

>the average pleb takes things too far
This. The average person doesn't understand the intent of such discussions in academic circles, and they lack the rigor to reconcile solutions they come up with with other values they hold.

As a European social democrat and ardent proponent of social justice, it always weirds me out when Americans conceptually tie it to identity, rather than, say, income.

I hadn't even heard of the term "privilege" until reading articles of butthurt about it well into my 20s. Then again, it may be one of those things nobody but radical students gives a fuck about, or outright myths such as trigger warnings, which no American university but Oberlyn actually instituted - and even they quickly paddled back.

>The problem with the collective identity thing is that its not the only thing keeping them down. It's the justice system, the prison system, and socioeconomics as well. If you're from the hood, the chances of you making it out just aren't good. I've been to a black public schools and they are run as if they were prisons, not learning facilities. Education in America in general is in complete shambles, but its definitely worse in the poorer schools.
I've attended inner-city schools. They're shit because of the people that attend them. Do your homework, stay away from the shitheads, study just the slightest amount and boom. You've got yourself an affirmative action scholarship.

>Black people are easy targets for the justice system as well. They get racially profiled, receive proportionally harsher sentences, and are locked away without much fuss because nobody cares about the hood. Plus if you follow the New Jim Crow Laws, the history of the 13th amendment, and the prison complex system, you'll know exactly why more and more prisons are popping up. They're basically work camps.
Black people are easy targets because they have a culture of blatantly retarded criminality. I speak on this from authority. This doesn't mean I hate black people. I just actually know black people from the hood. It's nothing to drive around with a bottle of liquor in your lap and 20g of coke under the seat. This isn't the case just with poor old Tyrone who's in destitute poverty. I'm talking about people who work at the same place I do and make the same amount. Having 6 kids and spending all of your time out chasing ass and selling drugs. These are peole I know and have hung out with. It's how they were raised and they don't even think twice about any of this. The leftist myth of behavior shaped by oppression and economics gets shredded when you have actual experience and blatantly delusional. It's partly cultural, but ultimately individual.
cont'd

>I used to be hardcore believer in individualism, but I'd argue that it is the system that creates the individual, not the other way around.
The system actively discourages people from committing crime, having children out of wedlock with multiple partners, etc. There are serious legal and economic consequences to these things. Everyone knows it, but people do it anyway. Making the system more lenient and tolerant of shitty behavior only encourages said behavior, and the people who make good decisions have to suffer so the fools can prosper. I've made my share of bad decisions. I knew they were poor choices. The consequences are mine and mine alone.

>The leftist myth of behavior shaped by oppression and economics gets shredded when you have actual experience and AREN'T* blatantly delusional. It's partly cultural, but ultimately individual.

>Stopped reading right here.

Discrediting someone because of their skin color, gee, wonder what social justice people are trying to do.

t. not a hypocrite

>Then again, it may be one of those things nobody but radical students gives a fuck about,
Unfortunately, no. I'm 24 and I'd never heard of most of this social justice garbage in high school. I know a few dozen people my age that weren't into this stuff at all when I knew them but are now full-fledged SJW''s. One girl posted a picture of her and her dumb friends at college staging a protest over the election and did a side by side with the Little Rock 9. She drew the parallel because a few other students stopped and argued with them about why what they were doing was dumb.
>or outright myths such as trigger warnings, which no American university but Oberlyn actually instituted - and even they quickly paddled back.
I'm not sure how widespread actual trigger warnings are, but the special snowflake bullshit on college campuses is well-documented. Subscribe to reason.com. They run a new article on some ridiculous charade on an American campus seemingly weekly.

>This isn't the case just with poor old Tyrone who's in destitute poverty. I'm talking about people who work at the same place I do and make the same amount. Having 6 kids
>The leftist myth of behavior shaped by oppression and economics
And where does culture originate from? Ultimately, from economic reality. Even if you then, later on, get into a better economic shape, the culture you already have ingrained, the one you grew up with and lived in for 40 years, won't just be gone overnight.

>They run a new article on some ridiculous charade on an American campus seemingly weekly.
It's extremely easy to find ridiculous events with a sample of literally several tens of millions of people once a week.

What matters isn't whether it happens, what matters is what the actual ratio of it happening is. To know this ratio, you need rigorous, systematic research, not a bunch of newspaper articles about the latest outrage.

>Ultimately, from economic reality.
This is an extreme oversimplification at best. Black people have always been poor in this country but their current culture didn't come about until sometime in the 70's, and progressively got worse. It has slowly been getting better since its low point in the late 80's-mid 2000's, through further integration and opportunity, but I view bellyaching over historic injustice and absolution of responsibility as a major hindrance to the betterment of black America. There will always be individuals who don't care. You can't encourage their behavior by pandering to a misplaced sense of victimhood and entitlement.

It seems like what a lot of anons are saying in this thread is saying that their victimhood is misplaced, and rather than going to the racist groups of people who are burdening the rest of us with their blatant bigotry, is being asserted upon everyone of a particular culture (white if I'm correct). Its riddled with hypocrisy, entitlement, and victimhood.

Does their overall message though, the one about black people being worse off than white people from a cultural and social standpoint (and economic in some senses), hold any truth value?

bbc.com/news/world-australia-37640353
It's gaining quite a bit of traction all over the world.
anecdotal but I've seen plenty of these people at university as well as normies unknowingly aping some of the "facts" they put out.

Incidentally, I heard a group of trumpkins at my college shouting "REEEEEEEE" the other day to make fun of liberals

>bigot
Stop using this fucking word
A bigot is someone who is intolerant of different IDEAS, not people.

The saddest part is that they somehow manage to be worse than /pol/

>A state in Australia has launched an education programme designed to smash gender stereotypes and tackle the root causes of domestic violence.

Is domestic violence even based upon gender, or is it individuals, nature/nurture, plus development?

>muh factionalism and childish namecalling.
What does this have to do with the topic?

Theory that is originally nuanced comes to particular conclusions about outcomes based on specific conditions from within their theoretical framework, this is then condensed down into easy soundbites for use in education or in demonstrations, but the soundbite becomes more popular than the theoretical system it begat from, and supplants that system in prominence. Then theory is built off these soundbites, then is itself compressed into easily digestible soundbites, and the vicious cycle continues.

If someone is intolerant of the idea that black people are equal to us, isn't that bigoted then given that definition? Or am I missing the point?

>It seems like what a lot of anons are saying in this thread is saying that their victimhood is misplaced, and rather than going to the racist groups of people who are burdening the rest of us with their blatant bigotry, is being asserted upon everyone of a particular culture (white if I'm correct). Its riddled with hypocrisy, entitlement, and victimhood.
The thing is that the actual structures that were purposely oppressive have for the most part, been destroyed already. Some of black America's problems are a result of history, but most are currently a result of many individuals purposely making decisions that they know might have negative consequences.

>Does their overall message though, the one about black people being worse off than white people from a cultural and social standpoint (and economic in some senses), hold any truth value?
To some extent, yes. The extent to which society is prejudiced regarding black people is overstated to the extreme b the left though, and the ones that do exist are mostly outliers or coincidental and can't be reckoned with without some kind of extreme measures. It's hard to have this argument with leftists though, because the ones that are willing to listen at all usually have a hero complex and view themselves as the modern day Civil Rights movement. That automatically makes anyone challenging them the racists segregationist. You still have that legacy hanging around and it's impossible to convince them that our current society really bears little resemblance to the attitudes and laws that prevailed at that time.

They take solid observations about society but proceed to go full retard with them. Instead of viewing race as a particular lens through which to view events they make racial identity the entire crux of their worldview. Through the alchemy of identity politics "the average black dude has it worse than the average white dude" becomes "literally every white person is Donald Trump." Ironically in their world view race isn't a social construct but the driving engine of politics, economics, and history. To call them microfascists wouldn't be inaccurate at all.

>hero complex and view themselves as the modern day Civil Rights movement. That automatically makes anyone challenging them the racists segregationist.
Painting or simply perceiving the other side in a bad light in politics is just a normal outgrowth of tribalism and the mechanisms of selective perception that every human being is prone to.

It doesn't require anyone to have mental illnesses.

Liberalism is a cancer on the human race. It's what happens when a matriarchy is allowed to exist and have power in the world. Nothing good will come from it, only disorder and chaos.

Absolutely true. My inclusion of the term hero complex was just a literary exaggeration, and probably an example of the exact phenomenon you're talking about. I wasn't necessarily taking the stance that all lefties or SJW's are mentally ill. Although I feel strongly that some of them certainly are.