Fun history facts you didn't know

>Fun history facts you didn't know
>"Did you know vikings didn't actually wear horns"

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capture_of_the_Dutch_fleet_at_Den_Helder
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

That's not fun at all.

No shit you fucking weeb

The incident that led to the 30 Years´ War was due to the Defenestration of Prague.
The second on actually.

OP is obviously mocking those people who say that, look at the image.

This doesn't make for a good thread though, can we move to unironically interesting trivia?

During the High Middle ages using a crossbow was considered cowardly in Europe, partially because it was so threatening to knights. This led to restriction of its use. However, it was Greenlee for use against heathens and actively used during the Crusades. This a a significant reason why the military successes of the Crusades were possible.

>Greenlee
Greenlit, fuck autocorrect

Samurai were literally drunk cucks.
On one vs one battles they were decent warriors at best.

Samurai only kept to their code of honour superficially. Under the sign of even the remotest hardship they would forget about the code and do however many dishonourable acts necessary to survive.

why did you capitalise greenlit you retard
also stop fucking reddit spacing

The first character of the line automatically capitalized, chill.

Code of honour was literally made up by a japanese diplomat to the US to make japanese culture more appealing.

Did you know that when Matt LeBlanc auditioned for the role of Joey in "Friends" he only had $11 dollars to his name. When the cast got their paychecks, the first thing that Courteney Cox bought was a car.

Matt LeBlanc bought a hot dinner.

out your ass. bushido culture and ethics is widely recorded throughout japanese history.

Kings of Egypt would "fertilize" the river Nile to ensure a good harvest, they would do this by masturbating in front of all the farmers, then ejaculating into the river.

No it wasn't, bushido was an invention, reality was more complex.

For example there were clans who would raid, pirate, steal or whatever and their honor code was centered around their lifestyle, tolerating their behaviour. There was no universal honor code, no 'bushido'. There were simply too many exeptions. What did exist was tradition.

Bushido is a 19th century invention.

What the fuck is reddit spacing

It's writing like

This because

You're a retarded redditor

No I do it because I
use an app namely clover
to browse this site on
mobile where the brackets
are different
:^)

Never been to Reddit in my life unlike you

Does this

Trigger

You?

>basic typing etiquette is Reddit now

The same text banning the use of crossbows also bans longbows. No one ever seems to mention that.

>also bans longbows
nope, just >bows, and i it also banned quite a few more things, like tournaments etc.

The seven heavens in antiquity referred to the five visible planets and the sun and moon which it was believed moved on solid "spheres" surrounding the earth

Autism cause WW1

Willy was autistic

Longbow are bows.

>been here since fucking 2005
>never heard of "reddit spacing" or people bitching about structuring coherent thoughts till about 3 months ago

Only reason you can call it reddit spacing

is because of

your in depth knowledge of reddit

kys newfag

How on earth does that relate to reddit

>tfw on family vacation in Prague
>parents say everyone can choose one activity
>mine was to see the window
Worth it

unless you are talking about archers all ancient war is one on one

The Dutch once lost their entire fleet to the French in a cavalry charge

Is it true that it's not a very high drop and they basically rolled down a sloped wall?

Sweden very briefly tried their hand at the colony game.

In 1578 Portugal attempted to intervene in a Moroccan succession crisis (that had already escalated to civil war) by backing one of the claimants in return for land concessions once he had subdued his brother and assumed the throne.

The king of Portugal, Sebastian I, was personally leading his troops on campaign. The decisive battle of the war was the battle of Alcacer which was a crushing defeat for the Portuguese and their allies, the king was killed and thousands of Portuguese and Spanish noblemen (there were many spanish volunteers) were captured and ransomed off at a price that bordered on absurd. As the king had no heirs the Spanish crown stepped in and instituted a personal union, this event is seen as the beginning of Portugal's decline.

The funny thing about it though is that it wasn't the king of portugal who died, the leaders of both sides of the civil war were both killed in the battle as well, which allowed Ahmad al-Mansur the 4th born prince to take the throne unopposed with a massive influx of capital from the ransom.

They get in the habit of typing like that because they need to take up lots of space or their comment wont be seen and they won't have enough upboats to pay the bull with.

HAHAH xD It looks Just tlie a Dildo for sweden HAHAH XDDDDDDDDD

Holy shit. How fucking new can you be to think that's fucking reddit spacing you pleb

I've never been to reddshit but always do this.

It's common to create a new paragraph when addressing a new person or topic.

Does it anger you?

Throwing a person out of a window has been a significant occurence enough times in history that there is a word for it

There was a President called James K Polk who was pretty good.

Absolutely everybody with a reasonable knowledge of American history knows of him, but I still get a lot of upvotes when I mention him of r/todayilearned, so I'm going to come here and mention him to show how learned I am

I like it how denouncing someone for "redditspacing" has only been a thing in the past year when /pol/ became even more insecure about being "invaded".

Captains don't actually go down with the ship.

That's completely retarded if it can be avoided. It's literally a suicide at a time when someone who's knowledgeable on sea travel might be extremely useful.

The code of honour is that the captain is the last off a sinking vessel, and first mate is second last. They search the ship for any lingerers they can, and then leave if there's no one else aboard.

It's not like if there were 50 people on the ship, and the captain gets all other 49 onto lifeboats safely, he'll just wave goodbye and let himself drown and leave civilians to float in the ocean.

Frankish paladins had 25% extra HP, however couldn't research bloodlines at the blacksmith

Source

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capture_of_the_Dutch_fleet_at_Den_Helder

Formatting posts like that has been a thing on Veeky Forums for the decade I have been here.

It's only recently I have seen retards talking about "reddit spacing" when they bet BTFO in an argument.

Of all the dumb memes I've seen "reddit spacing" is the dumbest.

on reddit you need to double space lines or they don't separate.

Thanks pal. I kek'd heartily.

Fuck off back to rebbit.

>A capture of ships by horsemen is an extremely rare feat in military history.[3][4]

You don't fuckin say

Is it true that they fell in some trash/shit and they survived the fall?

One of Bolivar's generals did it during the wars of Spanish American independence

In the second yes, in the first no.

Fuck off, retard.

People do that for separate sentences, not in the middle of saying something like you do it.

In other words,

okay, thanks

So he's basically just playing himself throughout the whole series?

Yes he had an autistic interest in building more and stronger ironclad ships than the Brits.

everyone here is basically down from someone that got rid of someone else so you could be standing there now, yea.

Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?