Why were the European Christians so short sighted and allowed the holiest city in the world to slip through their...

Why were the European Christians so short sighted and allowed the holiest city in the world to slip through their fingers?

God decided that Jerusalem didn't belong in their hands and let their armies be defeated.

I too lament to fall of Lake Charles Memorial Hospital LA

>occupations always fail

In my reality Jerusalem is a world power.

Of the UN?

Nice. CK2?

Crusaders like Bohemund were more interested in playing feudal lord in the ME keeping back their forces long enough to gain leverage over other lords.

Furthermore Italians did nothing wrong.

Byzantium also a shit.

No close allys
Schism ruined any support of christianity in the east
Papal supremacy, they cared about rome more
Mongols
Hundred Years War
Once constantinople fell no one gave a fuck anymore and avoided the east so hard they circumnavigated the world rather than go through the MR

It was the Byzantines who lost Jerusalem in the 600's, then the rest of the Middle East. By the time of the Crusades it was a futile effort trying to hold that enclave, surrounded by Muslims. They should have concentrated on retaking former Byzantine lands in Anatolia to hold off further Islamic conquests, which was sort of the original goal, then the Pope decided "hey, wouldn't it be cool if we recaptured Jerusalem". Then everyone in Europe got so obsessed over that city they wasted all their energy on it.

they got BTFO by superior Muslim forces

Catholics aren't Christian

In my reality Europe is split between a HRE that spans from Spain to the Urals, a Byzantine Empire that controls Southern Italy, the Balkans, Greece and Turkey and the Christian Horde that took over the entire Middle East.
Every time a truce inspires each Emperor is forced to declare war on the other for one miserable little county, or else they will be slowly assimilated by the other two.

Because it took centuries for the idea that it was theirs to take hold in Western Europe.

In any case, they were always looking at the big picture when it came to claiming the Holy Land, and tried several times to put some plan into motion that would let them hold it indefinitely. This included invading Egypt, taking over Byzantium, invading North Africa, marrying a Christian princess to its ruler and hope one day to convert him, sending a preacher to convert the Sultan directly, and reaching out to any Christian or potentially Christian powers in Ethiopia or further East for a joint attack.

That's EU4. So similar, but so different.

Because they dont have god on their side

i have 30 hours logged and i can't play past the first month without cheats
help!

Git gud.
Otherwise, look up on youtube or whatever and see how they do it.

Superior as in greater reserves in manpower right?
Honestly nearly 2 centuries of foreign Christian occupation by meme kingdoms who together could not muster a force of more than 40,000 is a pretty impressive feat. Sure infighting amongst neighboring Muslims helped stall the inevitable but seriously give credit user!

Thats what happens for supporting the wrong side :^)

>Christian Europe was the wrong side
>I know because the Islamic world turned out so prosperous while the West did nothing of note in the following centuries :^)

Which is basically what began to occur before GENGHIS showed up and put an end to the Islamic Golden age. The Muslim world was poised to strike back hard and was wealthier and more populated to do so.

"I am the punishment of God. If you had not comitted great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you."
-Ghengis Khan-

The Lord works in mysterious ways :^)

M8, when the Crusades happened, the Golden Age of Islam was a century over.

Blame Abbasid decline, administrative fuckups, and waves and waves of converted Turks invading the place.

Oh hey nice !

Baghdad was still untouched and mathematics, medicine, theology and astrology continued to thrive in Persia and even as far as Afghanistan and places untouched by political strife and the crusades in general. Sorry M8

>I have no idea what happened in the Middle East before the Crusades.
Yeeeah, that thing about rampaging Steppe Nomads wreaking havoc and building their own empires in the expense of a weakened, corrupt Abbasid Caliphate? Already happened.

>Implying the Turks did anything more than replace governship.
user just google the Islamic Golden Age.
Regional conflict doesn't always include cultural degradation or the destruction of knowledge. Srs

>Superior as in greater reserves in manpower right?
Rather than an imbalance in manpower reserves, it was an issue with their political organization and disunity.

The Islamic Golden Age refers to the roughly the 600s-800s: the non-Shit stable periods of the Abbassid Caliphate's rule. Then the adminstrative nightmares fucking happened, then the Abbassids became too lazy and fobbed off military duties to wholesale armies of Slave-Soldiers and Turkic Generals, then they just started to decline and began to attract the attention of powerful Turkic generals & confederacies, leading to the great invasions of the Seljuks in the 900s. In addition you have internal theological-political bickering leading to shit like the Fatimid Revolution in Egypt.

By the time the Mongs got to Baghdad, the Islamic Golden Ages was 200-300 years old dead. Furthermore the main centers of Islamic knowledge at the time was in FUCKING EGYPT, MOORISH SPAIN, AND ANATOLIA. EVEN THE BYZANTINES KEPT SOME.

I'm not sure you seem to understand what the golden age actually means. It's not a period of Abbasid ascendancy, but a general era of cultural and economic flourishing which the various political factions and conflicts didn't curb any more than the Italian Wars disrupted the Renaissance.

>The Islamic Golden Age refers to the roughly the 600s-800s
I've never heard anyone count the 7th century, especially since the Abbasids didn't even exist then.

Because once they took it and its surrounding lands they proceeded to administer it in the only way the knew, the feudal way. This meant that instead of the strong centralized state that was needed to face the infidels that almost completely surrounded them the petty lordlings started quarrreling about acres of lands and whose cow was that, many times allying themselves with muslims against other christians. Add to that the independent knight orders and the chaos spirals out of control.

That and they never really accepted the native Christian population the way the Turks and Kurds, also technically outsiders who came in and established feudal states for themselves, did with the native Muslim population. Only Antioch and Edessa seemed to try, and that was only for an alliance with the Armenian nobility.