Why is the past so spooky?

Why is the past so spooky?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dancing_Plague_of_1518

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dancing_mania
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1561_celestial_phenomenon_over_Nuremberg
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>The outbreak began in July 1518, when a woman, Mrs. Troffea, began to dance fervently in a street in Strasbourg.[1] This lasted somewhere between four and six days. Within a week, 34 others had joined, and within a month, there were around 400 dancers, predominantly female. Some of these people eventually died from heart attacks, strokes, or exhaustion.[1] One report indicates that for a period the plague killed around fifteen people per day.

It's an important lesson from history to take history with a grain of salt. Even if it has sources, it's still possible bullshit

>Folks having a nice pagan fest
>Disguise it as plague

This is a nice explanation

Which part of this specific event are you implying is bullshit? There have been theories about the dancing being convulsions rather than literal dancing, but the mainstream view on this event is that the variety and detail involved in the reports from the time all suggest it was literally a problem of people dancing psychotically until they died of exhaustion.

Could be, Alsace Lorraine was not an illiterate, backward shithole at the time, especially Strasbourg. The nobility were very concerned with the events and hired doctors to try and help with it; apparently it was a well recorded event and it occurred somewhat frequently from the 14th to 17th century:
>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dancing_mania

Some modern explanations have been made, linking it to stress induced mania, or psychosis from bacterial infections on wheat.

I honestly believe that magic gradually vanished from the world with the industrial revolution. Not just the notion of magic, but actual magic.

>I honestly believe that magic gradually vanished from the world with the industrial revolution.

pendleton ward pls

what about the industrial revolution made magic disappear?
and what concrete reason do you have to believe in magic?
what about claims of magic/mystical activity in the present day, is that real magic or made up?
I really hope this post is real

Is it some idiotic popcultural reference I was supposed to get?

Electricity is counter to magic. In its presence, magic fades.

Adventure Time is a cartoon that's exactly about the premise:

>magic gradually vanished from the world with the industrial revolution

Where a nuclear apocalypse happens and magic returns in the vacuum left by the destruction of modern civilization.

Many species of fungi have hallucinogenic properties and many of them can also kill you.

Any evidence for that?

Actually, never mind. Please leave and go to Veeky Forums so they can laugh at you.

that's actually an interesting premise

The fae folk hate iron. Even just a horseshoes worth in enough to repulse them, think about what an industrial city does.

/x/ please go

The past is indeed friggin' spooky.
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1561_celestial_phenomenon_over_Nuremberg

desu that sounds like the least /x/ worthy premise in this whole thread. Actually its a straight up fact.

Why the hell does THC have the effects it has on humans but not on most other animal species?
It's pretty weird. And that can be applied to many natural drugs, but THC only works when heated.

This actually happened and was recorded quite a number of times, it is just that most of the occasions do not have a wikipedia article.

As I recall, the current theory is that some form of currently unknown yeast/shroom would be scooped up during harvest and would infect the seeds from which bread was baked.

Then the entire village eats psychoactive bread for days, basically tripping balls more and more since bread is their main food intake.

>THC only works when heated
Are you dim? THC can be applied topically, and ingested orally. It's fat-soluble.
It is psychoactive in other animals, but because of their bodymass and less sophisticated anandamide receptors it can be highly toxic and offensive.

Psychedelics act like paralytic nerve gasses to slugs, for instance, because their bodies don't use serotonin the way ours do.

not true you can give your dog and cat weed and they get high

Why does catnip only affect cats?

>predominantly female
There's a reason hysteria has the etymology it does.

Fuck off, idiot.

I'll go live in the forest, with no iron, for a month then I'll get back to you

they were probably distraught with their surroundings and just started acting crazy for some form of relief, filthy times