>watching Rome
>pretty good
>reads wikipedia page
>IT'S ACTUALLY HAPPENED

WTF ??

Redpill me on Rome

Other urls found in this thread:

books.google.com/books/about/The_Republic_of_Cicero.html?id=PqUCAAAAYAAJ
stcharlesprep.org/01_parents/oneil_j/Useful Links/AP Latin Assignments/HW/The Gallic Wars.pdf
uploads.worldlibrary.net/uploads/pdf/20121106193837suetoniuspdf_pdf.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

are you trolling?

>top ten anime pranks that went too far!

HE

CONSOLE

i wanted to do the console part you shit

:)

Nah m8 those wikipedia pages get edited all the time by trolls with nothing better to do. Rome is no more based on reality than Game of Thrones or Star Wars. Julius Caesar is a fictional character.

Here is the starter pack. Enjoy the Godfather as it happened 2000 years ago.
books.google.com/books/about/The_Republic_of_Cicero.html?id=PqUCAAAAYAAJ

stcharlesprep.org/01_parents/oneil_j/Useful Links/AP Latin Assignments/HW/The Gallic Wars.pdf

uploads.worldlibrary.net/uploads/pdf/20121106193837suetoniuspdf_pdf.pdf

The Romans always fought in a defensive capacity.

Agreed the gold mines, slaves, farmland, and wine of Gaul had nothing to do with the annexation.

>t. butthurt barbarian

Around 62 BC, when a Roman client state, the Arverni, conspired with the Sequani and the Suebi nations east of the Rhine, to attack the Aedui, a strong Roman ally, Rome turned a blind eye. The Sequani and Arverni sought Ariovistus’ aid and defeated the Aedui in 63 BC at the Battle of Magetobriga. The Sequani rewarded Ariovistus with land following his victory. Ariovistus settled the land with 120,000 of his people. When 24,000 Harudes joined his cause, Ariovistus demanded that the Sequani give him more land to accommodate the Harudes people.

This demand concerned Rome because if the Sequani conceded, Ariovistus would be in a position to take all of the Sequani land and attack the rest of Gaul. Fearing another mass migration akin to the devastating Cimbrian War, Rome, now keenly invested in the defense of Gaul, was irrevocably drawn into war.

GAIUS
JULIUS
CAESAR
*dies of heart attack*
TRUE ROMAN BREAD
for true romans

THE GUILD OF MILLERS USES ONLY THE FINEST FLOUR, TRUE ROMAN BREAD; FOR TRUE ROMANS

>drops tablet

Oh god I can't choose which is best husbando

I fucking love Lucius but god damn if Pullo doesn't sway my heart once in a while

>console

Defending allies against foreign invasion is fine. The thing is if it was really protection Caesar wouldn't have proceeded to invade. Then you have the senate trying to bring him up on war crimes, corruption, etc. Only for him to protect the SPQR by making himself dictator for life.

XIII!

XIII!

XIII!

XIII!

You guys are alright.

Good thread.

It is one of the major movements in history, all revolving around Julius Caesar (pronounced Ioulios Kaisar). There is much scrutiny nowadays of the "great man theory", Julius was riding a wave of change that was not entirely his doing, but he not only defeated the disorganized Gallic tribes, he also defeated his Roman rivals in battle. The Battle of Pharsalus being the most notable example where outnumbered and low on supplies he gained a local numerical advantage on a flank in large part due to his talent as a commander.

This tide of change involved new agricultural practices in Gaul and Rome's control of the Mediterranean. Rome could call upon resources across the empire to supply a standing army, the famous legions, founded after the Marian reforms. They could then supply this army in Gaul using the help of allied tribes as well as foraging enemy farms.

The story of Julius Caesar is epic, of great historical significance and tragic, it is very attractive to authors and filmmakers, to the point of being done to death. Rome however was a decent modern retelling with moral ambiguity, realism and edginess added in.

He had to pacify them all, otherwise they would just keep invading.

>Then you have the senate trying to bring him up on war crimes, corruption, etc

Because they feared his growing power and influence. The senate constantly did this (and killed) populist figures.

*hand gestures*
TRUE
*sweating*

My old Ancient History teacher back in Highschool once said of the show that 'It would be a great introduction to the time period if it weren't so filled with sex.'

I tend to agree. Whilst it is nothing more than a drama based loosely on historical fact, it represents Rome and it's figures in a somewhat realistic fashion and setting. But be damned if I can watch more than a few episodes a week; lest my penis fall off.

Sex is part of what it means to be human.

Sex is sex. A True Roman is prepared to go without it, or be burdened to by it, without it effecting his spirit.

Who knew "true Romans" weren't entirely virtuous.

ROMAN

BREAD

MOCKING
OF THE JEWS
AND THEIR ONE GOD
SHALL BE KEPT
TO A BARE MINIMUM

what did he mean by this?
what is considered acceptable mockery of the IUDEAN tribes?

>dies of heart attack
Lost it

Pullo is a Mary Sue and defected IRL so ignore everything he did
Hatejerk to Niobe scenes and the ending will be more fuffiling
Vorenus is not really Roman and corrupt like all the other dogs, he even has an edge lord arc which was just adorable
[spoiler] oh but Vorenus give me your cummies

Also Caesar should be bald the whole time and the older Octavian actor is terrible
And there was no lesbianism between aria and Octavia

I think you mean TRVE ROMANS

Roman nationalism as I understand it seems so much like present day nationalism. Are there any other examples of a people so enthralled with the idea of themselves excluding religions?

>That moment when you realise that the historical Titus Pullo and Lucius Vorenus were even more epic than their Rome counterparts.

From the Gallic Wars book 5, chapter 44:

>In that legion there were two very brave men, centurions, who were now approaching the first ranks, T. Pulfio, and L. Varenus. These used to have continual disputes between them which of them should be preferred, and every year used to contend for promotion with the utmost animosity. When the fight was going on most vigorously before the fortifications, Pulfio, one of them, says, "Why do you hesitate, Varenus? or what [better] opportunity of signalizing your valor do you seek? This very day shall decide our disputes." When he had uttered these words, he proceeds beyond the fortifications, and rushes on that part of the enemy which appeared the thickest. Nor does Varenus remain within the rampart, but respecting the high opinion of all, follows close after. Then, when an inconsiderable space intervened, Pulfio throws his javelin at the enemy, and pierces one of the multitude who was running up, and while the latter was wounded and slain, the enemy cover him with their shields, and all throw their weapons at the other and afford him no opportunity of retreating. The shield of Pulfio is pierced and a javelin is fastened in his belt. This circumstance turns aside his scabbard and obstructs his right hand when attempting to draw his sword: the enemy crowd around him when [thus] embarrassed. His rival runs up to him and succors him in this emergency. Immediately the whole host turn from Pulfio to him, supposing the other to be pierced through by the javelin.

Cont.

Cont.

>Varenus rushes on briskly with his sword and carries on the combat hand to hand, and having slain one man, for a short time drove back the rest: while he urges on too eagerly, slipping into a hollow, he fell. To him, in his turn, when surrounded, Pulfio brings relief; and both having slain a great number, retreat into the fortifications amid the highest applause. Fortune so dealt with both in this rivalry and conflict, that the one competitor was a succor and a safeguard to the other, nor could it be determined which of the two appeared worthy of being preferred to the other..

Persians (both Achaemenids and Sassanids) had a similar proto-nationalism, if not more extreme in the case of the Sassanids. Although it was more about a pan-iranic empire ruling everyone than about persians themselves.

Based guys.

You might also want to read about Marcus Cassius Scaeva

Him and Acilius

Weenie, Weedi, Weeki

DELETE THIS

and boobs

I feel so bad for Cato in this. They sort of portray him as a sourpuss, but while he left no writings, later stoics seem to have regarded him as a paragon of virtue.

Dude was a cunt

Of course he's you dumb shit.

>HE WAS A CONSOLE OF THE 7TH GENERATION!

What did Caesar mean by this?

Best actor in the show.

They were real but the Rome story is very different, and you must admit Oullo is a badly written Mary sue

fuck offf back to /b/, kiddo

How did you get Mary Sue vibes from Titus Pullo?

>big dumb muscle as a foil to Vorenus's calculating cynicism, never shown as particularly bright
>actions land his big ass in trouble more often than not, often surviving through sheer dumb luck
>throughout the show commits several extremely amoral acts: brutally murdering Niobe's lover (with a young Octavian, no less), caving in the skull of the fiance of the slave girl he was perving after, murders Cicero in his own house to the weeping protestations of his servants, literally cucks Julius Caesar
>experiences love, then loss, then betrayal
>show concludes with him saving his son with Cleopatra to be a dad.

You want a Roman Mary Sue, try Maximus Decimus Meridius or maybe the main character from that really fucking shitty ass TV show about Spartacus