Tfw you realize the Romans were the barbarians the whole time

tfw you realize the Romans were the barbarians the whole time

yep

they finished what Darius and Xerxes couldn't: the extinguishing of freedom and civilization in the West

It didn't return until the Enlightenment

You don't know what that word means, snownigger.

>Everyone else just uses their hand

I'll take the wet sponge

the sponge isn't the issue, its that it was shared by everyone

Ok Vittorio, enjoy your communal butthole sponge

It didn't return untill the golden bull, was contained to the HRE and then Poland and died with the partipications and Napoleon

But Persia was great, Rome was great, they advanced human civilization beyond that of beasts. Is your ideal civilization one where we all live like animals? Doomed to be extinguished like many species before us? Doomed to die with our birth-sun?

Would they not wash it in between uses? Surely they'd have several sponges available in an amphora nearby or something?

They did, it was stored in a large jar of vinegar. It's a step forward in hygiene even if it's still gross. Like the ancients using urine to brush their teeth. It's definitely gross, but the ammonia content did clean.

and urine is sterile so it wasn't a hygenic issue

we are likely going to go exctint long before the sun dies

>we are likely going to go exctint long before the sun dies
That's what I'm saying faggot. Our legacy and greatness will die with us. Life has no meaning without

I always like to tell people how the Romans wiped their ass and then slowly direct the conversation to how they stuck a sponge ona stick to Jesus's lips to drink off of and he spat it out saying it was nasty.

Because it was shit and piss water homie.

yo somebody shop a centurion helmet onto this or something.

I'd much rather use a sponge that has been washed through running water and somewhat sterilized in vinegar than a bunch of leaves or my own hand.

The real question is what did the Ancient Greeks use?

Didn't the Romans also have these stones that you'd wipe your dick off on after taking a piss?

the only meaning life has is the one that we make with it when we are alive. and then it is only to the person that made that meaning.

>he doesn't know about the three stones?

>tfw roman
>prefer to stay away from public toilets cause i'm scared i'll get hard in public
>plus i have a small peepee
>one day walking in my patron's entourage following him home
>a sharp pain starts searing my insides
>fuck, i ate fried chickpeas
>pressure builds in my gut, and starts trying to force its way out of me.
>try to hold it in but it stabs at my sphincter like a gladius through gallic flesh
>someone in the retinue notices my strained face, starts poking fun at me, leading others to join in.
>i'm sweating, quivering, but i can't talk or else i'll lose control
>the laughter intensifies, my dignitas is sinking, this will look bad with the patron..
>i try to force my way our of the crowd, but my patron grabs me by the arm looking concerned
>"secundus, is everyting ok? the boys here are truly jesting with you. I'd like you to tell what is the matter"
>patron, i'd gla-
>a small fart shoots out, followed by a loud drawn out shart. diarreah shoots splatters on my master's tunic. he let's go of my arm in shock
>im red as wine, tearing up, but I can't stop, the farts force the battlements of my anus and proceed to charge through the breach
>panicked, I start weaving through the streets, farting like a mad man
>i make it to the public bathroom but by this time my butt has been corked by a more substantial turd
>I'm weeping at this point, theres shit all over my legs and feet. I seized a sponge stick from the slave and throw him a few dinari and catapult myself to the nearest toilet and lift my toga
>i shit an unending log of shit when all the sudden my sphincter tightens up.
>i start becoming aware my surroundings, smelling the fetid scent of garum and rotten hog liver across from me
>my eyes lift from the tattered, dirt and shitstained mosaic of neptune on the floor across from me
>a large beadyeyed homeless man is staring at me with his mouth agape, pumping his huge cock in his hand
>mfw
i tried

t. Mithridates

Kek. Gave me a hearty chortle

To drive the linkage home even further the sponge was soaked in vinegar...
Holy shit this needs to be a poopoo pee pee pepe and wojack Christ
>They did, it was stored in a large jar of vinegar

A crucifix is pretty tall and they probably didn't have a ladder nearby. The sponge was just a way of letting the guy drink. It was an act of mercy senpai.

Except there is no historical evidence to support Romans using it to wipe their ass.

where did he accidentally go?

Great only from a historical standpoint, like a novelty from the past that just results somewhat interesting because of how large their organization was. However, their legacy is shit and we are paying the price still to this day. Humanity has turned to shit, no doubt about it. Living like animals might have gotten us further considering how benign the earth has been with us so far. This thing we're pulling off right now, carried on by the historical momentum of perpetuating ridiculous ambitions that nobody can really understand or justify, will only make sense if it gets us out of this beautiful nurturing planet and off to a promising adventure of interstellar freedom, if not, we'll just end up standing on a sad piece of rock that once was full of life, and maybe some other people will get far enough to set foot on that stupid red rock flying on the next orbit, which by the way is dry as fuck and boring as hell.
So yeah, we live in a civilization that has only accomplished forcing most of its inhabitants into a sad life of stress, debt and sexual frustration... We could be eating plant drugs and fucking like monkeys, surrounded by green forests full of fruit and game. Sad shit.

>The sponge was just a way of letting the guy drink
Vinegar.
Letting the guy drink vinegar.

>forcing most of its inhabitants into sexual frustration
other than in china and india most people are women, so no its just forced some people into sexual frustration

I recall reading that it was actually probably posca; vinegar, water and honey mixed together and part of the Roman soldier's kit that was given to to him. Legionaries loved that shit and the one that gave it to him probably saw it as an act of mercy to offer it to Jesus. But from the jews' point of view all they'd see is that soldier mocking him by giving him what they saw as purely vinegar.

Kek this was funny.

Their cocks

>implying we don't benefit from modern medicine, hygiene, and comfort
Thank god for civilization

This user knows what's up. Civilization is what seperates us from the beasts in the wilderness. What are we without state, culture, religion, history, and traditions? Nothing.

At least your own hand doesn't contain shit and diseases from a hundred other plebeians and it can be washed and sanitized.

Hand over communal butt sponge any day.

Urine isn't sterile.

yeah but can you wash your hand like you do the shit sponge, when you have no soap?

Yeah, sure, buddy... seems like a pretty good deal.

>Implying the imposition of societies built around monogamy and the claiming of partners as possessions is not driving people fucking insane.

It doesn't drive people insane and polygamy is stupid.

You're just a fucking retard is all.

how is it not? urea is a waste product in piss, but urine doesnt have any microbes in it so it's sterile

or if it does have microbes they're not pathogenic

You stink of insecurity.

>he doesn't have a continuous UTI

Urine is pretty clean as it leaves the kidneys, if you are pretty healthy, and remains fairly clean, microbe wise, until it leaves the body -- unless you have any of a number if infections, then it can pic up those organisms.

Once outside the body, it is a wonderful medium to culture any number of organisms it might come into contact with.