Why haven't we even said 'I'm sorry'?

Why haven't we even said 'I'm sorry'?

>They attacked our military, they started it!

So we retaliate by wiping out two cities of civilians? Again, why haven't we apologised?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geneva_Conventions
nytimes.com/2016/05/28/world/asia/text-of-president-obamas-speech-in-hiroshima-japan.html?_r=0
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Winners don't apologize.

it was necessary, even if it was just to scare off the russians it was still necessary

What is there to apologize for exactly? Millions of people, soldier and civilian alike, died in that war - I don't see why a few ten thousand all dying at once is seen as so much worse.

The fucking lizards got what they deserved

Obama almost apologized during his visit there.

Obama did apologize, and he needs his ass licked for doing so.

*kicked

Goddammit

The US has never apologized for anything but the treatment of black people.

As if destroying cities was a bad thing in war

Why would we apologize for winning?

There are no rules in war. Also, those cities were vital to Japan's war effort, and the sacrifice of those people saved possibly millions more from even more gruesome deaths.

>we should apologize for saving millions of Korean, Chinese, and Southeast Asian civilians from unspeakable horrors

Sorry, but this is a patriotic board, you commie shitstain.

The nukes were nothing special. Plenty of other cities were reduced to rubble by bombing campaigns over the course of the war.
All the nuclear bombs did is prove that the US had the ability to do it with a single plane.

Don't start nothin', there won't be nothin'.

Bitching about a'bombs when the firebombing of Tokyo killed more people just shows how ignorant you are.

>Apologizing after winning

The world is not a kind place and we cannot afford to be kind

If it is necessary again we will do it. Even if it is not necessary, but still the best and most efficient option, we will do it.

>tfw we don't have Truman Democrats any more

Its because of white guilt

As all these rationalizing responses prove, your underlying premise that it was "wrong" or a "crime against humanity" is correct.

But is it wrong to be "wrong"

shit op b8 but still, fpbp

>So we retaliate by wiping out two cities of civilians?
No, we retaliated for Pearl Harbor by bombing what remained of the Japanese fleet at Kure on July 24–28 1945.
>tfw we made the Bongs hit the airfields so we could have the Jap ships all to ourselves

>burn 200k gooks alive with napalm in tokyo
>no gives fuck
>nuke less than 100k gooks in hiroshima and nagasaki
>every subhuman weaboo and nip war crime denialist gets butthurt over it

nips did far worse to their enemies, what we did was a blessing in comparison.

The atomic bombings weren't even that bad compared to the fire bombings also. The firebombing killed more people and was much more painful and excruciating. Yet everyone forgets those even happened and only talks about the nukes for some reason.

>Yet everyone forgets those even happened and only talks about the nukes for some reason.
probably because the nukes were far more iconic, and frightening to people. it's hard to wipe out all of humanity with firebombs.

As we can see from Vietnam.

I believe that is likely, but it still pokes holes in the anti-american arguments who obsess with nukes.

If they really cared so much they would know about the fire bombings, but they just go for the nukes because nukes have a bigger cultural impact.

>There are no rules in war
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geneva_Conventions

How many victorious nations have subjected themselves to tribunals for war crimes?
How often do they cite the looser for war crimes?
Geneva is generally not enforced and has very little bearing on how most war is fought.

Why should the people who didn't commit the bombing apologize for it?

Trump has been on a little apology/asslicking tour already, he'll probably throw out an apology for the Nips by the end of his eight years.

>dat pic
(and oil)

>those cities were vital to Japan's war effort, and the sacrifice of those people saved possibly millions more from even more gruesome deaths.
Japan already sued for peace previously on the condition that they could keep their Emperor

And their possessions in Formosa (now Taiwan), Kora, Manchuria, Indo-China, and parts of what's now Indonesia.

Or in other words basically their whole colonial empire before they picked a fight with USA.

>Japan already sued for peace previously on the condition that they could keep their Emperor
Except that's wrong. Japan asked the Soviet Union to sue for peace on their behalf as they saw the Soviets as a neutral power as they had not entered the war yet. They also asked to keep their previous holdings. The Soviets refused and promptly entered the war on the side of the Allies.

Gotta wonder how many of these people who cry how nips totes were ready to surrender would had accepted similar terms from lets say Hitler's Germany (i.e. Hitler gets to stay in power and Germany gets to hold everything that it managed to grab before invading Poland).

So? It was a colonial empire that the U.S. had objected to the formation of and gradually ramped up sanctions in protest over, and would ultimately divest them of as one of their major war aims.

I don't want to lick his ass, but I don't think he apologized.

He didn't. He expressed sympathy for those who were killed in the blast and that was it.

this desu

The invasion of mainland Japan would have resulted in hundreds of thousands of more deaths, and potential Soviet assistance would have left Japan in a Postwar Germany position. If you think the use of the bombs was horrible, of course it was. But the other scenario would have been much worse.

Ramping up operation starvation and starving most of Japan's population to death probably would had been the kindest alternative to nukes.

>The invasion of mainland Japan would have resulted in hundreds of thousands of more deaths, and potential Soviet assistance would have left Japan in a Postwar Germany position.

People always say this. It's one of the most infuriating memes on this site. The Soviets had a grand total of ELEVEN landing craft. That's enough to ship about 400 people at a time. There is no way they were mounting an invasion of Japan unless the U.S. allows them to by lending them more ships to carry forces over.

"Fun" fact: The U.S. made so many purple hearts in preparation for Operation Downfall that we're still using the stock today. At the rate we're going, we'll still have it left over into the next century.

Because Prime Minister Abe is a lot smarter than you, and he doesn't want us to. You see, President Obama did float the idea of an apology; Abe took a hard pass. An apology carries the implication that something wrong was done. It implies that Imperial Japan was somehow put upon by the Americans, instead of being the obvious aggressors. Even Abe, the most militaristic prime minister in decades, realizes that that is a short step away from "We did nothing", an ideology that he does NOT want to take hold

Do you really believe that? Holy shit Americans really are brainwashed.

"Sorry" implies that it was the wrong decision and that we should not have used the nukes which would be deeply controversial. We should mourn the lives lost as in every war though.

>this much hubris
The 21st Century most likely has some exciting new wars in store for America as you lose your status of world hegemon. Best get the Purple Heart printing presses fired up, user.

@2388957
>being this much of a Cucknadian
Only Canada could try that bait. Even the most liberal IR estimates show 50 years before the world loses its monopolar status and the secondary contender will be lucky to finish this decade without a complete economic collapse from artificial economy building.

Given how fast drone tech is developing future purple hearts will be probably be given to drone controllers for getting tenosynovitis while on duty and other shit like that.

Because we're not responsible for the deeds of Men generations ago in the past. This kind of historically-relative illogical is what rots young peoples brains. Go apologize yourself in person to a random Japanese person and see the reaction you utter fucking mongoloid.

>@
How do retards fuck this up? All you have to do is look at literally any response in this very thread.

@2388996
Some people don't like giving out unearned (You)'s for shitty bait. Especially bait as shitty as yours. Lurk more, faggot.

You're out of your mind.

Start shit get shit.

>Because we're not responsible for the deeds of Men generations ago in the past.

How old are you?

My granddad fought in WW2 and he's still very much alive.

That being said I don't think there's anything to apologize for but the 12 year olds on this board who think anything that didn't happen last week was hundreds of years ago drives me bonkers!

Hence why I used the term "potential", should have made that clearer. Without Soviet support, the WAllies would have had a very difficult time in Japan. Lend them a few hundred landing craft, sort out the specifics later. But even with veteran troops and armor that wasn't Japanese (and therefore good) and the meme swarm of the Red Army, the population was pretty much already trained to fight to the death.

I'd post sources (Beevor, Giangreco, etc) but it's late and I'm on mobile

Less than half a million living Americans are WWII veterans. You're condemning over 300 million people who are at the very least a generation removed for the actions of their forefathers and the surviving members of which are dying at a rate that we'll be lucky if there's a veteran left after the decade is over.

I didn't "condemn" anyone and the post I replied to said (sic) "generations ago in the past".

Try to read, kiddo.

The WWII Generation is on average 2-3 generations removed from most Americans thus they are, in fact, "generations ago in the past." Perhaps you should learn to read and do math.

>Without Soviet support, the WAllies would have had a very difficult time in Japan

the biggest limiting factor in an invasion of Japan is sealift. Since the ship production is essentially coming out of the same well, giving a few hundred landing craft to the Soviets means a few hundred landing craft that the Americans and British don't have for their own landings.

Considering the Western Allies had more firepower per division, a more developed amphibious doctrine, less issues about command and control and coordination, it makes no military sense whatsoever to support a Soviet invasion as opposed to doing one on their own. And that's before you get into the political ramifications of allowing the Soviets access.

Sure, it would be difficult, and horrifically bloody for the native Japanese population, but adding the Soviets invading Hokkaido or whatever isn't going to change much of that.

So "we" doesn't include anyone over 72 anymore.

Jeez kiddo, you need to learn some respect for your elders.

People rarely think about it, but attacking a military base doesnt deserve having your country made as an eternal bitch as a punishment
Even without looking at nukes, the fact the US wanted an unconditional surrender and nothing else (even if it meant they had to firebomb japanese civilians for years) just because they had attacked a military base was uncalled for

Americans are the ones who invented total war for shitty motives, and they should feel bad for it

The Japanese should be grateful if anything. We saved millions of their civilians by dropping 2 nukes.

You're missing my point completely.

You as an individual apart of a culture with connections to a devastating point in history, are not responsible for anything the deeds of a handful of men with the same connections decided to do. Neither is your grandfather, unless he was personally involved in the decision to drop Fat Man and Little Boy over Nagasaki and Hiroshima.

To claim otherwise is a fallacious idea of making history relative to modernity, which is an idea commonly acceptable by post-modernist students and idiot kids who argue that the enslavement of black slaves makes white Americans "privileged" due to the "benefits" we've received from our past generations, and other such illogical arm-chair sociologist remarks. When people use this argument they tend to create a biased context or simply ignore facts, that being less the 2% of the colonial population.

Let's say your great-grandfather was a known serial killer. Do you honestly think you should be held responsible for the murders that happened over a hundred years ago, and forced to apologize to the families of the murdered people of the past? This question is universal so don't take it personally. I know you believe what I'm saying. Bottom line is that the modern generations shouldn't be so arrogant as to assume their anyway responsible for what has occurred in the past.

>People rarely think about it, but attacking a military base doesnt deserve having your country made as an eternal bitch as a punishment

>kiddo
If you use this term, there's a good likelihood you're not old enough to use this site. You also missed the point of the post entirely. Stop posting, you're just making yourself look retarded.

>be short but angry kid
start kicking the shit out of shorter less angry kids
>giant cornfed farmhand retard tells you to knock it off and takes your tendies
>sucker punch giant retard
>giant retard proceeds to curb stomp you, and hand you your own ass on a platter.
>giant retard then spends the next 60 goddamn years helping your crippled ass learn how to walk
>still wants big retard to apolgise

Sure thing, kiddo.

I'll take this as an admission you decided to declare everyone who was alive during WW2 including half a million brave American veterans of the war were not consequential enough to be considered part of American society.

The alternative was to continue firebombing them killing just as many in a longer more brutal campaign that had already wiped out multiple cities and killed tens of thousands.

Why do you even post on Veeky Forums if you evidently have zero interest or knowledge of history?

>including half a million brave American veterans of the war were not consequential enough to be considered part of American society
They're not considered part of the primary American generation, because they're not the primary American generation. They make up less than half a third of a percent and are multiple generations removed from the primary American generations.

Exactly, that's the right response. It was necessary and ended the war quicker. It sucks that so many people died, but that's war. They should have thought of that before attacking our naval fleet.

>The invasion of mainland Japan would have resulted in hundreds of thousands of more deaths, and potential Soviet assistance would have left Japan in a Postwar Germany position.

God I fucking hate this meme

"Primary generation" is a term you just made up.

Is there something you'd like to tell us?

Fire bombing killed more people, an invasion and a prolonged conventional military campaign would have killed even more. Nukes were the "nice" solution. Plus, it's pretty damned rich for the Japs to whine about war crimes in WW2.

tell me where im fucking wrong?

Japan was expanding and trying to consolidate its holdings in SEA, and started the Pacific war. the Actrocites commited by the IJA on Mainland Asia are no laughing matter as well.

This Suprise attack comes after the US freezes its assets in a bid to get Japan to not attack US Brittish holding in SEA (which they did). Ultimatly Japan lost, and the US spent millions on reconstructions for Japan, Had they invaded that Island id rekon Kyoto whold have made 2016 Baghdad look like Singapore

>start a war for their own imperialism
>try and fight it to the death
they got exactly what they deserved

Except it isn't and it's the foundation of Generation Gap. Please stop posting.

Even if you ignore the geneva convention (which is dumb of you but whatever) most militaries still subject themselves to their own laws.

>this retarded thread

Obama is such a weasel. I get that America can and will never ever officially apologise, but still, have a read of this nonsense:
nytimes.com/2016/05/28/world/asia/text-of-president-obamas-speech-in-hiroshima-japan.html?_r=0

No it isn't.

I don't understand why you're being such a butthurt little fag just because I told you off for describing something that happened within the lifetime of many living people as something that happened "generations ago".

You should just have taken your telling off and stopped humiliating yourself at that point.

>No it isn't.
Yes, it is. Nice ad hom btw. Absolutely shows that it isn't you that is butthurt. Last (You) you're getting from me.

The destruction of Hiroshima and Nagasaki was obviously tragic for the people who lived in those cities. But it was arguably good for the rest of the world. Because it showed the world just how terrifying nukes actually were, which is why we haven't seen them used in war since then.

current generations are 30ish years. but its a continous spectrum. right now there are people all acrooss the age range of 0-30 but that doesnt mean there are 30 generations running about. it only has meaning in context, and the meaning of generation also changes depending on context

both of you should drop it already

>50 years
I don't know how much you're keeping up with current events, but your economic and political authority commands far less international respect than it did even twenty years ago and you're increasingly forced to throw your military weight around to get your own way. That way lies war, user, and sooner or later you'll get yourselves into one that you can't walk away from as easily as you have done the last few times.

You should learn what ad hom means.

What are you even blathering about? Who decides what the "current generation" is?

I don't get how there are weebs who say that, they should at least have seen Grave of the Fireflies, and know about the firebombing.

Though weebs are a diverse group, from unironic to semiironic to ironic. Those that like tropes but do and don't understand that they're tropes.

I believe in some form of white privilige. I know there's a racist in the lizard part of my brain, but I know rationally that that part of me is wrong.

I don't agree that such collective guilt needs to be so socially accepted as a maxim of modern politics. It's just made a generation of people able to justify future atrocities.

>implying civilians exist in modern warfare
If you buy war bonds, work in a factory, mine, or pay your taxes, you're supporting the war effort and are a legitimate target

>but I know rationally that that part of me is wrong
Rationally that part of you is correct and that's statistically supported. Racism is a rational position that has become artificially irrational through emotion. Anti-racism is feels > reels.

B-but muh revere the emperor expel the barbarians

>Americans are the ones who invented total war

I'm not talking about being afraid of a nigga in a midnight parking lot. I'm talking about being afraid of a nigga in a sweater vest who just got outta church.

I don't feel guilty about that user.

Right now I'm afraid of politics, that my kids won't grow up in a world where that mindset isn't needed anymore.

I'm afraid that ethnic groups have found new reasons to hate each other.

>afraid
You shouldn't be afraid. However, you should be skeptical. Even niggers in sweater vests commit disproportionate amount of crimes. It doesn't matter their level of education or income. It's higher compared to other races. Again, that's statistics. It's completely rational. The only irrationality when it comes to racism is that it alienates you from your peers (who are irrational). Two irrationalities don't make a rationality so it's up to you whether you follow through with that. Getting back to the point: the mindset was never not needed. It went away due to a perceived irrationality that was actually rational.

>what is Sherman's march to the Sea

Something well after other examples of total war, like say, the wars between Rome and Carthage.

Total war in the modern concept first shows up in the American Civil War. You're correct in stating that there are wars that involve aspects of it, but total war as we know it begins with the ACW (though some would contest with the Taiping Rebellion).