What's your local public library like, user?

What's your local public library like, user?

Anything cool? Any classes or reading clubs or seminars worth a damn? Or just hobos reading the newspaper and using the internet?

I'm currently enrolled in university, and so spend most of my time in the school library, but before, when I was studying to get into school, I would use the public library to have a quiet space. I got the feeling that the librarians thought I was a weirdo because I would gt up and use the water fountain very frequently, and because I dressed very frumpily. There were classes and clubs occasionally, but they don't seem to have been very well attented. I was just talking to a woman who has two sisters in librarian school, and it seems like an interesting field. One of them wants to be a curating librarian in a library with special collections, and apparently this is a very competitive position, but the other one is fine being a public librarian. She said that these positions are easier to get but the librarians complain a lot about the homeless.

Pic related is the biggest library in my city. You can't get into the library without a special permission but it is totally worth it. Nine floors above the ground and four more floors undeground. I seriously can't belive how much info is in there.

No libraries here

the fuck? im sitting on the library in op pic right now

Philadelphia libraries... holy shit.

There are a lot of different branches around the city, I've been to 2 so far.

The one right by my apartment is the worst library I've been to. I went in to browse the philosophy section, nothing specifically in mind, just wanted to check it out. 4 Books! And 2 of them where bibles. The other two where western philosophy overviews, like a textbook for a 101 class. I thought maybe I was missing something so I went to the desk and the lady asked me if I was looking for a specific Author. I thought of Camus first and asked for him. "Never heard of him, how do spell it?" Spell his name. "Oh Cam-US! Nah we aint got his stuff, you gotta go down to central if you want anything by your boi" Guy behind me in line is checking out a stack of mangas the size of his torso.

cozy, what lib?

freiburg fag detected
greetings from jena

home now, but its the stockholm city library

JUST

You know I'm probably going to end up homeless at some point in my life because of my myriad of mental health issues but it's really reassuring I'll always have somewhere to go to protect myself from the elements with internet access and more books I can read.

On the right

bretty gud

I don't know much about it yet, since I only discovered it like a month ago.

>med school library
very cozy and always relatively empty for some reason. I guess dealing with concentration issues isn't as common with med students. Oh well at least I am a very special snowflakes that has to take real pills against real disorders right

>public library
nice 1920's brick tower. full of hobos, pensioners and obnoxious high school students. And occasionally me

looks like if a brutalist converted to buddhism

I like it

Based

Fun Fact: it was started after the 1871 fire that destroyed the city when queen Victoria donated 1600 books because she thought our old library burned down. Actually we didn't have a library at that point we were too busy making money lel

It's a small town suburban library. A pretty decent selection overall, plus access to the statewide network so you can get pretty much anything you want if you put a transfer hold out.

I've been meaning to look up whether or not it got a new director or something in the past 3 years, because in the past 3 years they've been hosting some really cool exhibitions and they never did anything like this before. Sort of like mini museum exhibitions. One on historical newspapers, one on vintage fashion, and now on dollhouses. They have some lectures/classes that go along with these too.

Outside the exhibitions, they have a writing club, book club, knitting club, movie club, that sort of thing. I don't participate because they're always scheduled on days when I can't go.

We don't have a library here, but a library bus comes to the village from time to time.

San Francisco Public Library is pretty nice... even though it's usually full of homeless people. It has wonderful programs and branches all over the city, which is really convenient.

Library of Congress

They threw out all the books and now it's just a big room with computers

Yeah the city has some brutalist ziggurat thing going for itself kek