Historical dipictions of stuff

For instance, when medieval people drew stuff relating to the Romans, or the Bible, what did it look like?

How did French people in the middle ages depict ancient Egypt and the Pharaoh? Did people know anything about how the Romans looked like?

>Did people know anything about how the Romans looked like?
They did know, but it was far easier to communicate the message of their work by using contemporary styled art.

Got any good examples?

Litterally OP pic?

Nuremberg chronicle.

One of the three main cycles of medieval literature (with the Matter of France and the Matter of England) is the Matter of Rome. This told stories like the Trojan War, Alexander, or Caesar, but basically everything was told as if it was set in 12th century France, with knights of chivalry and courtly love. Which btw is no less anachronistic than the Matter of England. King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table behave like idealised 12th century knights, not like Dark Age Britons.

They were also represented in contemporary fashion in art like in the pic you posted. This was no different in the early Renaissance.

well, this is supposed to be a depiction of the "sack of troy" from the aeneid

Always loved the way Middle age art depicted Jews.

Can you guess who the Jews are in this one?

Protip: it's not the guy with the halo

this is an illumination from a late 15th century translation of caesar's commentary on the gallic wars. it was made in bruges.

goy vey

This is the Conception of Alexander the Great completed in ca. 1475.

The irony of this of course is that Jesus is a Jew.

What is it with Christianity and using pagan motifs, holidays, and gods?

That one I don't know.
I'll ask my Cousin who Has a PHd in relgion or something of that sort. Or you can ask someone else.

I know little but from my understanding it's just hegemony of old Pagan rituals conforming to what was at the time pop culture. Christianity was harsh, but as long as you gave your word to God you did as you pleased as a good Christian. So even though you celebrate Christmas, I'm assuming (and again this is just my general knowledge with no source to back my word) that you could still hang a reef for decoration Or have a Christmas tree at the center of your home,town, village, piazza.

/r/ing the coronation of Charlemagne

he's a big guy

is this one?

Same guy asAlso I know the Judaism in its very original form, (which is even debatable as Judaism) never had a concept of Hell. Reason being that as a monotheistic religion, it only had God and would not recognize another significant other antigod/deity/powerful-being. Therefore there was no concept of Hell or Satan. Just god. This of course rendered the religion "unbelievable" or unpopular at the time so it conformed and adopted the concept of a hell and Satan, still recognizing God as only God and everything else below him.

for you

I was specifically talking about the use of halos in that picture.

It's just the halp to represent Jesus?

Not exactly sure what you're asking sorry. Must be retarded.

I'm wondering why Christians chose to take the halo (a symbol used in pagan religions) and give it to the divine in Christianity.

I'm starting to like medieval art more and more.

Ohhhhhh. It's not Pagan in Origin, Rather Greek in Origin, or quite possibly Indian. Ideas spread as everything else does. I'm not spitting the actual dates at you, but cross referencing India's culture to Greeces I'd say sometime around 500bc the Halo started to make its way into Europe Proper and to the Pagan lands where the idea spread. Rome also was heavily influential with the Halo even prior to Christianity covert. Since much of Rome barrowed from Greece, the Halo is of course passed on to Rome.

A lot of it comes down to art work as well. This I know for facts, I've rrad up on this, took Art history classes and been to multiple exhibits on the use of art and religion.
>Art being the use of visual perspective for people who could and could not read a like.
>be illiterate
>see cool figure
>see halo of light on figure
>understand that light represents good
>understand that Halo doesn't pop up on any head
>understand that halo or circle of light around figure's head means good figure of divine.

Basically a general system of art that was used for thousands of years. Even still to this day. How do you recognize protagonist in anime... Crazy unique hair do.
It has always been about the halo my friend.