Who was the best Emperor of Rome/ Byzantine Empire after Diocletian

Who was the best Emperor of Rome/ Byzantine Empire after Diocletian

desu it was Majorian or perhaps Heraclius

Why not Basil II ?

Heraclius was the total package, and he can scarcely be blamed for what happened after Yarmuk.

Maurice was pretty good too, until he mismanaged his army to the point of rebellion. Had he not gotten himself killed and led the empire into chaos, he would be one of the greats.

Basil II was great simply for his endurance and the length of his reign. However his lack of an heir is pretty damning.

Alexius Comnenus deserves mention if only for his ability to arrest the freefall decline after Manzikert.

Justinian

Even if his conquests of Italy and North Africa had mixed results, his reform of Roman Law was key in the empire's continued survival by streamlining the legal system, allowing quicker decisions that prolonged the empire's life.

Justinian was great for his ability to attract talented people to help him run the empire, even if he was overly influenced by his (apparently smoking hot ex-prostitute) wife. He kept buying off the Persians while trying to reconquer the West, overextending the empire and leaving it in a weak position when the Persians repeatedly invaded the empire in force. It took the reigns of Tiberius and Maurice to build the eastern army back up to the strength where the Empire could defeat a Persian field army again, leading to the collapse of much of Justinian's conquests.

What I don't get about Justinian is the motivation for conquering the former WRE. You're in New Rome, go conquer a new empire off to the east or further down the Nile or something

Suleiman

It was obviously Tiberius, heir of the Divine Augustus

The last constantine gave a good speech so him

Charlemagne

>Diocretin
"Lol let me just create this super-delicate system of power that totally isn't going to fall apart once I abdicate. Also fuck the Senate."

I meant the best emporers after the Diocletian split bruh, never meant to say Diocletian himself was good

Constantine

more like

"Let me massively expand the Roman government, bureaucracy and army to pay for the increased expense of dealing with actual organized enemies instead of iron age tribes as foes to the Roman state"

Justinian vastly underestimated the resistance of the barbarian kingdoms that had set up shop, and vastly overestimated the continuation of Roman loyalty. To him, he thought he'd be perceived as a victorious slayer of oppressive barbarian overlords. Civvies at the time had believed the Empire was continuing on as per usual. How many centuries did Germanics rule over the lands under the guise of Roman tradition?

Plus he thought he could have easily reinserted himself into the formerly existing beauracratic and legal systems of the WRE, but alas they didn't stand the test of time or German mismanagement. JUSTinian utterly ravaged Italy and the financial costs were crippling. To be fair though, the plague literally wiped out over 30% of your population, so I can give him leeway on that end.

>ex-prostitute
Wasn't she an actress?

Actresses were basically prostitutes, even today. Do you know how many bastards have been fathered on actresses?

Augustus how is this even a debate

>after Diocletian
What is reading comprehension?

Daily reminder that anyone who says Justinian is probably uneducated in Byzantine history.

The best Byzantine Emperors would likely be (in no particular order):

>Alexius Komnenos
>John II Komnenos
>Basil I
>Basil II

And while Heraclius deserves the praise for securing a Byzantine victory against all the odds, I wouldn't name him 'best'. His achievements would be erased just some years later with the Arab conquests anyways, rendering moot his victory over the Sassanids.

Why did you latinise "Alexios" but not Komnenos?

Either say Alexius Comnenus or Alexios Komnenos.

>implying OP said whether he was talking about rank or chonology

>Who was the best Emperor of Rome/ Byzantine Empire after Diocletian

You fucking mong

Theodosius

after diocletian could mean after his death or after him in rank

John Tzimiskes hands down for me.Very handsome,cucked the empress,brilliant military leader and he paved the way for Basil II

You are the only person who took it as ranking. This means you are the retard.