Why did the Japanese adopt people all the time so freely and casually...

Why did the Japanese adopt people all the time so freely and casually? I find this interesting becuase its in contrast to the west's "MUH BLOODLINE" attitude. Which method was better?

The Romans adopted people all the time too

This, OP is retarded.

I recall the vikings did it too

then my teachers sucked because i dont remember this tiny detail being pointed out at all. Only one i remember is Caesar's son Brutus, which I just looked up and he was his uncle so there was still some blood relation there.

The middle way between cousins, aunts and uncles marrying Habsburgs and island monkeys adopting anything and everything with a pulse.

why, when and how did that change exactly?

They settled 16--sixteen--immigrants last year. How many minorities do you think are in Japan compared with the Mighty United States of America?
They even have a kid's movie where they build a wall around themselves to keep the rest humanity out, to ignore them. Course, it wouldn't work so well now since they have all that radiation.

This. I think even in Europe they cared more about "muh LEGAL heir" than bloodlines. Even the Jews cared more about legal family than bloodline

>tfw from religious Jewish family, though not obeservant myself.
>tfw they actually wanted me to go through with a levirate marriage
>tfw they still don't understand why I didn't.

better question is why it is so rare in certain germanic cultures.

It's not a tiny detail, it's a gigantic one. Early Romans cared more about biological lineage, but by the time of the late republic the noble families were picking up sons left and right, basically picking the best of any crop.

Speaking of Caesar, Octavian (Augustus) was not his biological son either, but was adopted and assumed legal status as his rightful heir. It should tell you quite a bit about the Romans and adoption that this was barely disputed or contested in the slightest.

huh?

Funniest thing about playing total war shogun is that you can adopt literally every General ans the Daimyo's sons when the Daimyo is 20 and the generals are 40.
That and the fact that you can have an alliance with one clan and then go to another clan who is enemies with the clan you just allied with and get paid to declare war on that allied clan.

Great game.

But yeah Idk Pretty sure adopting was a normal thing throughout society. Also the fact that anyone can be made a noble by knighthood in anglish monarchy.
King: you make lots of money *knights*
King: you fight well *knights*
King: I like your music *knights*
King: you entertain me much *kinghts*

In Orthodox Judaism, if a couple dies childless, the brother of the groom is expected to marry the widow. The firstborn child of their union is religiously considered to be the child of the dead brother.

My older brother died in a car crash about 6 years ago, and when I came home to sit Shiva, (I haven't abandoned all of it), towards the end of the mourning period, my mother pulls me aside and asks, very matter of fact, how long of a wait period I would need before I could marry his wife. After all, I wasn't married to anyone myself, so there should be no problem, right?

>Adopt people.
They adopted their material culture.

Barely anyone was fucking migrating to their isolated warring shithole.

Oh shit bruh. Was she fine or ugly af?

Was she an uggo, or was she a hot Christmas Cake? I totally get not going for it, but that setup really sounds like a doujin plot of some sort.

Also, where are you and your family from? Just curious.

She was average. Nothing special, nothing horrifying. But, of course, I have a girlfriend, which would make this sudden marriage a bit awkward.

From New York.

>Barely anyone was fucking migrating to their isolated warring shithole.
Bruh if you were a Chinese scholar/aristocrat, you were an automatic noble in Yamato Period Japan.

As such, during the Yamato period's Sinophiliac craze, many scholars and experts where brought from China and some were convinced to stay and marry into the aristocracy. Clans of avowed Chinese ancestry were many: people like the Hata Clan, Tamura Clan, Takamuko, Akizuki, and many others.

Damn nigga, you need to write a soap opera about this shit. It's getting juicy.

>not lying and saying you proposed to your girlfriend just before so you could get into tome wacky rom-com hijinks
Missed opportunity bruh.

That's classic Sengoku Jidai for you.

Fun fact, in modern Japan it's not unusual for business owners to adopt adult males.

They do this so they can still claim "family business for 200 years" and shit.

Seriously, if the owner has no male children and there's somebody in their company that they like and think is worthy of taking over, they will often offer to adopt them so they can make the bullshit claim.

Was the widow down for it?

Tfw you will never fuck your dead brother's wife

It was related to ancestor cult, inherited from ye olde tribal mindset.

You adopted someome into your fanily and it was tje adopted obligation to pray for and to the ancestors of the family

Se en gladiator when he prays to father and mother,? Like that, ancestor cult.

Pretty awesome belief system if you ask me

Holy shit how is this still around. I thought it was some cave man thing, not still around and practiced.

>The firstborn child of their union is religiously considered to be the child of the dead brother.

Is this... is this the world's first recorded practice of a spiritual cuckolding?

The Romans did it too.

Physical legacy is more important than genetic to them.