Remember when Austria was THE Germany and what we know today as Germany was a bunch of irrelevant small states that...

Remember when Austria was THE Germany and what we know today as Germany was a bunch of irrelevant small states that happened to speak German? Funny how it ended up the other way around.

yurop was also a much better place

Yeah, nah. That didn't happen.

I cry every time

>Remember when Austria was THE Germany and what we know today as Germany was a bunch of irrelevant small states that happened to speak German?
No, I don't. That was way before I was born.

In Europa Universalis I make sure to bully Austria ASAP, because if I don't they'll get fucking huge from all their Habsburg inheritances. Same with Russia and attempting to cut them off by annexing the Caucasus from the bottom up.

Austria is still pretty shit
If they aren't emperor and the emperor is not on their side they are pushovers
Poland on the other hand, they'll blob with Lithuania

The real plague is the ottomans, I tried to play as Arabia but I just couldn't fucking compete against the Ottomans I ended up having to use cheats

DELET THIS
AEIOU
AEIOU

Because Austrian military lagged behind the Prussian one.
And Prussia having dumb luck Seven Years' War. Normally it should have been crushed or remained an irrelevant shithole

What, you mean Austria is a bunch of irrelevant little states that happen to speak German?

In eu3 I recreated the Ummayad caliphate (+ turkey and Greece) with Hedjaz, good times

Australia didn't exist until 1804 and was only created in reaction to Napoleon. Everything before that was part of the HRE, which is effectively the precursor to modern Germany

eh, you know what I meant

Yeah this. My little knowledge tells me that after they 7 Years War they became recognized as a Great Power and got to table with the big guys. This plus their previous military superiority.

Yes, you have actual Austria, Styria, Karinthia, Voralberg, Tyrol...
Habsburg possessions that were glued together into "Austria".

Do any real differences exist between these places or has Austria homogenized?

Yes I remember that time I was a German.

t. Slovenian

Your grandpa sure does

>this nigger doesn't believe I'm nearly 100.

How does it feel to live in 3rd world with shitty life expectancy?

They're probably homogenized now. But back in 1919 Voralberg wanted to join Switzerland.

Austria had its own empire and the german part of the austrian empire was an elector in the HRE. HRE wasn't a country, it was more akin to the Deutsches Bund which followed it.

Austria was fucked in every way possible from Sever Years' War on. It wasn't just the military, it was ethnic issues, administration, being economically hundred years late etc. Loss of Silesia was more like the trigger, Habsbourg Austria was bound to implode.

>But back in 1919 Voralberg wanted to join Switzerland.

Back then, there was no concept of Austrian national identity. They considered themselves Germans and subjects of the Emperor, nothing more. Had they not been forbidden from joining Germany, they would have done so as fast as possible.

The idea of an independent Austrian state only started to develop after WW2.

We are pretty much homogenized now but there are fragmental leftovers. People from the ost Austria can have difficulties to understand west Austria tue to heavy dialectic differences in language. For example that is.

Austria was quite the shit before the French fucked them up
Pic related, in yellow, Austrian possessions in Europe (except for Prussia) in the late 18th century

It is the great irony of German history that of the two nations who fought hardest to unify Germany, one is no longer considered part of Germany and the other no longer exists at all.

They fought so hard, and got so far, but in the end, it didn't even matter.

>doesn't remember his past life
Wew