Third worlders like me can learn English, but Americans can't bother to learn another language. Why is that?

Third worlders like me can learn English, but Americans can't bother to learn another language. Why is that?

Am I smarter than the average American?

Not Veeky Forums related. Please see your brown ass out.

What's easier? Learning one relevant language or learning god knows how many irrelevant languages?

Are you retarded? You learn English because it's useful. Americans don't need to learn useless languages except out of curiosity.

>but Americans can't bother to learn another language.
Your average pleb has no need. America is a big country with people coming here, not people leaving.

If you think of this thread as: "historically why are Americans so isolated from the rest of the world", it suddenly becomes on-topic.

A few things.

1. The way the American public schooling system teaches foreign languages is complete garbage. So part of it is the failings of our schooling system, not because we are dumb.

2. America is very big and very isolated from the rest of the world. It's incredibly easy to succeed financially here without ever learning a second language. In other smaller and less isolated countries its not as easy, hence why there is more emphasis on learning a second language.

Also in othe nations second languages are usually introduced at a very young age. Empirical evidence shows that it is incredibly easy for young children to learn and absorb languages. Many of the people who brag about knowing more than one language put barely any effort at all into learning it because they were fluent in it at a very young age.

Also this. Go back to /int/ please

When a third worlder learns English it's to increase their opportunity to escape poverty.

When an American learns another language it's to pass a semester of college.

I started learning English by myself when I was 15 year old. I started studying it purely because I wanted to learn a new language.

I think learning languages is good for the brain.

you do know that most people in the world speak more than one language, right? that includes your fellow whiteys in yurop

American education everyone

Consider the reason why you actually bothered to learn English.

I find languages interesting. Currently, I'm trying to learn German.

American educational system is complete ass, so you probably are smarter than the average american

>I think learning languages is good for the brain.
I agree.

where are you from? The only measure of intelligence we really have is iq. Americas average is 98 (includes all the minorities). There are balkan and eastern euro countries that are lower. So why don't you tell us? Knowledge does not equal intelligence.

people abide to and follow us, not the other way around. we don't have to learn their shitty brown languages.

IQ is not a measure of intelligence in adults and is not scientific, regardless if results fit any realistic spectrum.

You may easily be smarter than the average American.

And it may also be true that most people really need only know English in order to live their lives to the fullest.

Fuck you NATZI COCK SUCKER..FAG!!!

You lean English so we don't have to bother learning your language you dunce.

You got played

>english was made by america.

>english was made relevant by america

ftfy

uhm citation needed. It is an attempt to measure variable g (general intelligence) and is one of the biggest indicators of success in western society. Smarter people have higher iqs, regardless if they know another language or not.

You're aware that European languages are spoken by white people, right?

40 hour work week

to add on to this further, it is testing SOMETHING and whatever that is it is heavily genetic. So diss Americans all you want but just because they do not always have good education does not mean they are not smart.

>this is what americans tell themselves.

if your gdp per capita is under 55k you're not white tbqh

>shitty brown language
Are you aware that Spanish comes directly from Latin? While your language is an abortion of Old English mixed with Norman French.

It is the equivalent of a creole.

It's true though. French was the lingua franca before America was relevant.

>lingua franca
>world's biggest empire spoke english for their administrative purposes, but french was the language of diplomacy therefore french was more relevant than english.

a bastardization of latin. Italian already exists and is superior to spanish.

>the whole world knows English without even being forced to learn it for administrative purposes

Thanks to America.

>the whole world.
>half the world already did but they don't count.

That was mostly just the higher ups in those countries tbqh.

It's not a bastardization. It's an evolution. Something all languages went through. The difference is Romance languages went through it naturally. English was raped by Normans.

According to Mario Pei, these are how far these languages are from Latin.

Sardinian: 8%
Italian: 12%
Spanish: 20%
Romanian: 23,5%
Catalan: 24%
Occitan: 25%
Portuguese: 31%
French: 44%

>citation needed to tell someone an abstract construct of social science isn't science
HURRRRR

and it's the same now.

It's certainly way more common people than it was back then.

You are proving his point.
And if we want to be correct, Spanish, Russian and Chinese, as of today have similar relevance to English by the sheer amount of speakers and diffusion.

>Hurrrr we are all equal guys any attempt to measure intelligence is futile even though studies show iq is 75% genetic

yeah act as retarded as you want it doesn't change anything

No they do not. America is still the strongest country in the world and has the biggest sphere of influence. Chinese is the only other significant one listed, we will see how the paper tiger fairs in the upcoming years.

So someone like me with a third world IQ can learn a language like English. What does it mean? English is the language of low IQ people?

I think /pol/acks are fond of the Sapir-whorf hypothesis. If a low IQ ape like me can learn this language, surely it means it is not the best language for thought and logic. This means Americans should strive to learn other languages. Maybe Latin or something closer but easier like French?

I don't know what your iq is, and English is a broad language, with many words. I doubt you could articulate it as well as someone smarter than you could. But really I do not think Iq is relevant to language, unless you are a poet or something.

Who says that the best language has to have an IQ threshold to learn it? The best one would be one that anyone could learn, but perhaps not master.

The way I see it is that other languages are equal to mine for the most part, so there is no reason to waste brainspace assigning the same concepts to different words/symbols.

Fuck out pajeet

There isn't as much of a necessity for us to learn a foreign language compared to other countries. The rest of the world speaks English, plus we're a physically large country and are geographically isolated from any country that speaks a language other than English or Spanish, which is the most popular second language by far for Americans.

I can speak a little bit of Spanish, I took two years of it in high school.

Believe me. English is so easy compared to other European language. Try learning German or Russian.

But what would I gain from that? Those are niche languages at best, and I would be wasting brainspace in my opinion.

Because it's a waste of time.

>learn French
>go to France
>literally everybody under age 45 speaks English
>they would rather practice their english than help with my french

Fuck it, whatever.

American here, I find Spanish seems for the most part to be more logical than English, the spellings and pronunciation of vowels is so much more consistent. English spelling is retarded, half our words need to have their spelling changed from some inconsistent bullshit that made sense 500 years ago but just makes things difficult now.

English spelling is fucking absurd, I agree. But genders... genders? Completely illogical.

Learning languages is good for the brain. You gain access to different cultures. If you learn German for example, you can read Goethe in the original. If you know more than one language, you'll realize that translations are approximations at best. Translations lose all the beauty that is contained in the original work. The author crafted those sentences to fit in his language. He is a master of his language. Translations are only an approximation.

Not to mention the amount of entertainment that is only available in certain languages.

All the great minds knew more than one language.

That actually makes it the best language, of it's true.

>You learn English because it's useful.
Not very, many other languages can be important on same level, French, Spanish, Russian, German, etc...
Only economical dominance of USA promoting of English language. People very rare want learn language of a poor country, but often want learn language of a rich country

No incentives

>Am I smarter than the average American?
Hope it is. Major USArican deeds were made by migrants.

Sure, but as an English speaker there are many other options that are better for the brain. There are innumerable things to learn, why bother learning another language when anybody worth speaking to already speaks yours?

The OP only proves my point.

They are stupid, they even don't know a second USA language the Spanish

Something off-topic. When I post on /int/ people treat me like a sub-human because of my flag. When I post on other boards. Sometimes people think I'm American. kek.

Listen buddy, it's obvious you can't even form the rudiments of an English sentence, so if I were you I'd just shut up.

>learning a language = intelligence

Literally every human on earth knows a language. From sub-75 IQ retards to people who can't even hear. There's nothing intelligent about languages. Small mammals even have languages. The fact that you've learned another language in addition to your native one means nothing.

You're made to learn languages. It's like saying nationalism or being a sports fan means your intelligent.

I challenge you to learn these languages: German, Russian, Hungarian, Finnish.

learning a language may improve memory and train gyri of brain

>Spanish, Russian and Chinese, as of today have similar relevance to English by the sheer amount of speakers and diffusion.

>Learn Spanish so I can have stimulating conversations with the dishwasher
>Learn Russian so I'd have to travel thousands of miles to speak to anyone in it with the side benefit of being accused of being a spy by rabid Democrats
>Learn Chinese so I can have stimulating conversations with the Chinese takeout delivery guy or travel thousands of miles to go to an insular overpopulated shithole to have a conversation.

Yeah totally.

>I challenge you to learn to walk on your hands. It'll be difficult and you'll have to practice, but you'll get there. If you immerse yourself in other people who can walk on their hands, you'll pick it up quicker. And when you can walk on your hands I'll call you a genius.

That's what you sound like.

>Learn English
>be dirty CIA spy, an enemy of EU

We are talking about learning a foreign language. It has benefits you fucking retard

Yeah, American ignorance

I never said it didn't have benefits. As I suggested here , just because you can learn something anybody else can, it doesn't make you intelligent.

I'm discussing the OP.

Continuation from my previous post: Learning a language while you're an infant is nothing like learning a language when you're an adult. When you're younger, your brain is like a sponge. When you're an adult, you learn the language in a more methodical method. I've learned your language when I was 15 yo. Way past the age where people can retain a native accent. If you don't believe me, try to learn any European language. You'll notice that you only studying the grammar isn't enough. You have to talk in the language. You have to read grammar of the language. And this is only the writing part. You'll have to listen to hours and hours of the language audio to get it.
I had trouble to learn your language because I taught it myself. I always knew more than my teachers. But nowadays I try to learn German and I see how English is so easy compared to it. No cases and the verbs are not even inflected. Only the third person, but it only a s. And only a few irregular verbs.

That's true, but it doesn't mean you're intelligent. You don't even need to study languages, that's how basic and simple they are. You could drop me anywhere in the world and within a year I could speak basic shit and after a few years I would be fluent.

That's how rudimentary and intrinsic language is to many animals. You don't even have to study it, your brain is wired to pick it up.

Still not Veeky Forums related.

To elaborate, I could maybe judge your intelligence if you learned a foreign language in a couple months, but eventually learning a language after years of studying says nothing about your intelligence.

and it has more to do with education getting better.

I accept that I might not be intelligent, but I think you'll only appreciate the skill required to learn a language if you try it yourself.

> Implying I give a shit about Murica
I learned english to read Shakespeare

All the deflection in this thread. My ass.
Knowing a second language postpones dementia by almost 5 years. Bilingual people are better on alternating attention tasks ("multitasking"). You are less likely to fall for propaganda bullshit and become open to at least one other way of thinking.
But hey, stay hillbilly and proud anglos.

What use is learning another language? Being able to read literature is the main thing I can think of

If that's the case then why is your country a third-world shithole to begin with if you are so smart?

>Am I smarter than the average American?

If you are white then yes. This is what the average modern murican mongrels look like

You are the reason for all that's well in the anglosphere I take it?

>genders are illogical
t. libtard

> why is your country a third-world shithole to begin with if you are so smart?
In Kingdom of Bahrain do not need be smart for being rich.

It's about need
You don't need to learn another language when everyone speaks yours

One of the reason why the French are so bad at learning languages is because their language was the lingua franca for centuries

The US would be a better place if people spoke more languages. Creole and Spanglish anyone?

>this strawman
Neat.

>implying the quoted post was a valid argument

>valid argument

>argument

I would never learn Spanish, because nobody worth speaking to speaks Spanish, but not English.
I'm learning French, though, and might learn Jap, since they both have people worth talking to who can't speak English, or suck at it, and both have media worth consuming that is better untranslated.

Third worlders have to learn english to do business.

Americans don't.

This is American-Anglo dominance in simplicity.

>France
>literally everybody under age 45 speaks English

Why are making things up?

Because one would have to learn it by themselves, the school system does not properly teach a foreign language.

Even here in Canada, where French is an OFFICIAL language (and not even an irrelevant official language like Finnish in Sweden), I can only recall a few words of French being taught.

One could be put into French immersion courses, but that essentially requires one to be upper-middle class (or, at least everybody in the stream was upper-middle class).

I only learned to speak the language (I cannot read it beyond product labels, because those are everywhere) because I married a French girl, and she essentially forced me by only speaking to me in French.
Latin is a trash language, though.
>Hellenophiles
Ah! if only the (Greco-)Roman empire were reborn!~~
Spanish was raped by Moors and the like. What's your damn point?

They all ultimately came from one language, I guess they're all the same now lmao just like all ppl are the same because they all came from africa

Most people never get a chance to use a foreign language. I learned Mandarin in college, but haven't used it in years.

>Latin is a trash language

leave

Ah! to reinstitute the great Roman empire...!~~~

The Anglosphere is just superior. Non-Anglo nations deny it, but we know this to be true, don't we, my fellow Anglo brothers?

Don't you shitpost on chink forums?

>valid

Still a lot of them speak English