Is what is declared by God good because he says it?

Is what is declared by God good because he says it?
Or does he say it because it is good?

both

god wouldn't say it if it wasn't good

The Euthypro dilemma presupposes a multitude of possibly varying desires and goals among the god*s*. It's really a pointless distinction in a Monotheistic system

>1/3 of God lets himself get put through the ultimate humiliation by his most retarded creations in order to save them
The trinitarian Christian version of God certainly put his money where his mouth was, so I'd say good because neither and both.

What if God is playing a prank and tells you something is Good when it is actually Bad, just to see if you will do it?

That's Satan's game.

God never lies.

You could be following some Big Prank Book made up by madmen and fools, all the while convinced that it's a mystical revelation when it's actually nonsense.

It turns out the Real True God was some island Tiki volcano spirit. But all of his followers died in 1657 and they left no written records, so we are all fucked.

I think that is improbable. What I think would make more sense is that there are many "Gods", however the Abrahamic god and whatever else there is, are just very strong metaphysical entities. They wouldn't actual be "God" because stuff existed before them. Almost like the Gnostic demiurge idea with archons.

But this actually happens to Abraham in the old testament. Granted God stopped him, but he still commanded him to kill his son to see if he would do it

No the God of Abraham is the Maker of all things.

It was not Bad for Abraham to be willing to sacrifice his son.

What about the pre abrahamic people? Or is the earth only 6000 years old?

I don't know.

Is it possible to ignore the Old Testament as a Christian? I love the New Testament and it's message but I can't see the OT as anything other than a collection of Jewish folk lore.

das some esoteric as fuck devils mayn

The New Testament is just Roman folklore.

>What I think would make more sense is that [completely nonsensical bullshit]

It has a much more coherent and moral message than the OT which is mostly Jews slaughtering the goyim for their land.

look up Marcion

That was very constructive input you gave there. Made the conversation much more interesting, added a lot.

Fair enough.

All you did was provide yet another unsubstantiated "wow I think it'd be cool if" and all I need to tell you is it doesn't make any more sense than the rest of the fucking bullshit.

It sort of does though. If monotheism where to be true, it's much less likely that the god only contacted Islanders which eventually died out and he was forgotten about. It just does not seem likely. It would be more likely for their to be multiple gods, or one god that contacted everyone. That, or the pantheistic approach with "Gods" sprinkled in as higher beings than humans (much as to how many things are below us in awareness, complexity, and intelligence, there could be things above us). But I can tell you do not like to think about these things, so it's ok.

There's "thinking about these things" and "substantiating these things".

I think about that shit all the time, because I run D&D fantasy bullshit where it turns out to be fun. I don't indulge my neat little ideas as potential existential explanations.

There's nothing wrong with discussing it and exploring ideas.

What about them?

Everyone has major issues with (many parts of) OT. Until you read anything else that resonates, I'd say go with the metaphor and or context explanations. It's what I do.

Maybe someone in this thread can write something on why the fuck OT G and NT G are such hugely different characters?

You're not substantiating your ideas because you're mulling over shit that basically can't be substantiated. It's a useless exercise.

IIRC Augustine tried to explain it as "old testament was delivered by god to more primitive people who only understood that very direct cause/effect. The new testament is for us smart genius Christians who really get it."

Essentially "God wrote OT for dumbdumbs but it's still God's message, just take it with a grain of salt and the NT has priority"

Suppose we should refrain from discussing religion entirely then?

When does the NNT roll out? It's been over 2000 years ffs

The latter. Read the Mosaic Law. A lot of that stuff doesn't make a lot of societal sense, like avoiding the consumption of shellfish or avoiding wearing clothing of mixed fabrics. However, it was still the law under God.

THE "GOOD" IS SO BECAUSE IT DERIVES FROM, AND IS CONDUCIVE TOWARD GOD; ID EST: THE "GOOD" IS SUBORDINATE TO GOD, AND GOD IS SUPERORDINATE TO THE "GOOD", THEREFORE, SOMETHING IS "GOOD" BECAUSE GOD WILLS IT, NOT CONVERSELY.

THE NOTION THAT GOD WILLS SOMETHING BECAUSE IT IS "GOOD" PRESUPPOSES SOMETHING GREATER, OR BEYOND, GOD, THAT DETERMINES WHAT IS "GOOD", THEREFORE, THAT NOTION IS ERRONEOUS.

try starting your own cult. oh wait-

lol